1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Parking lights to DRL's

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by calebdnehus, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Dec 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM
    calebdnehus

calebdnehus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '98 Prerunner V6--2004 Tacoma facelift
    K&N cold air intake FPIK, FlowMaster 40 series muffler, Euro Diamond clear headlights, 2003 tacoma tailights, bixenon HID headlights, 4 inch lift, pioneer headunit w/kicker door speakers(amped w/Rockford four channel), 2004 facelift, led dash light mod, painted needles, black auto shifter, leather steering wheel, ultra gauge. Plenty to come... Still
    I was wondering if anyone knew how to make the parking lights on a 1998 Tacoma to run when the ignition is on without having to turn them on via the headlight switch. I guess I'm asking how to turn them into DRL's so they come on when I start my truck

2. Dec 2, 2011 at 10:19 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    I'm not sure if/how you can do that, but Beau02's "fog light mod" is a nice (and easy) upgrade for our trucks.

3. Dec 3, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    K&N cold air intake FPIK, FlowMaster 40 series muffler, Euro Diamond clear headlights, 2003 tacoma tailights, bixenon HID headlights, 4 inch lift, pioneer headunit w/kicker door speakers(amped w/Rockford four channel), 2004 facelift, led dash light mod, painted needles, black auto shifter, leather steering wheel, ultra gauge. Plenty to come... Still
    I was thinking you could just splice the power wire for the parking lights into the power wire going to your ignition and that would do it... but I wasnt sure. I want to keep my blinkers in my bumper, I think they look cool

4. Dec 4, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    tacoman355

tacoman355 WORD!?!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Hampton,VA
    Vehicle:
    03 Reg Cab Taco
    sold....
    interested in this, sub'd :spy:

5. Dec 5, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    i think it would be awesome. I just wanted to get some input on how you guys would do it before i go cutting wires and mess something up

6. Dec 6, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    I could just use an add a circut and hook it to an occupied fuse spot under my dash that gets power when the ignition is turned on and just cut the parking light power wire under the steering wheel and crimp it to the end of the add a circur wire. What do you guys think?

7. Dec 6, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    I think thats what he wants.

And wtf is "ricer blinker?"

8. Dec 6, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    No, Im just wanting them to light up and stay light like the DRL's on the 2nd gen tacomas. Im gonna keep my blinkers stock and add some aftermarket foglight to the bumper. I was thinking that if I cut the parking light wire from under the steering, leaving the part of the wire that connects to the headlight switch open for putting the aftermarket foglight power wire to, giving me the ability to turn them on or off with the switch that WAS used for the parking lights but is now free

9. Dec 6, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    And I'm pretty sure the parking light wire is green with a white strip, right?

10. Dec 6, 2011 at 11:17 AM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like a lot of trouble just for lights. I would just keep the parking lamps on all the time. I believe the 1st gens have the auto shutoff feature the 2nd gens have.[/QUOTE]

Mine doesnt, which totally sucks. It just makes a really loud beeping noise when you open the door. And it shouldnt be too hard, just requires a bit of thinking and planning before I start it so I dont screw something up. Do you think it would work if I did it?

11. Dec 6, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    What 12 volt source would best to use? Would the cig lighter fuse be a good spot to put the add a circuit, I think it draws 12 volts

12. Dec 6, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    And I was going to get clear corner light lenses and put some really bright amber L.E.D's in them so itll be brighter enough to recognize

13. Dec 6, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Thats the kind I was thinking of getting, I just have to find on the net somewhere lol. So the parking light wire is the green one with the white strip coming off the headlight switch, right?

14. Dec 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Thank you! This will help with anything I need to wire in the future

15. Dec 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    The wiring diagram says the cig lighter does get 12 volts so if I stick the add a circuit on the cig lighter fuse the light will be getting 12 volts

16. Dec 6, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    This^^ my corner lights are pretty dim, you can only see them at night when I have the lights on.

Even with clear corners and bright LED's they will be hard to see during the day.

IMO...if you want some DRL's you can see, get some aftermarket fog lights and put them on a toggle switch so you can turn them off/on whenever you please.

17. Dec 6, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
  18. Dec 6, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    calebdnehus

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    those do look pretty cool

Products Discussed in

To Top