1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Part Removal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jackassmcpunk, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Apr 17, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    jackassmcpunk

jackassmcpunk [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Boston
    Hey guys,

I need some help removing a particular part on my Tacoma. If you look on the front bottom corners of your beds (on the long bed) , there's a small black plastic piece wrapped around the corner. I imagine it's to protect the metal of the bed underneath from road debris.

From what I can tell, it's held on by two plastic rivets. One of rivets is exactly the same that hold on the mudflaps. That's easy. The other one, though, I can't remove it! It looks like if I just push it hard enough, it'll come out, but I'm not sure, and don't really want to force and break it.

Has anyone ever removed these? I couldn't find any threads on this part. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Apr 17, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Just curious why you may want to remove the bed edge protection?

3. Apr 17, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    Cmatt1605

Cmatt1605 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
    Squeaky leaf fix
    just drill out the rivet. you can always put a new one in when you put it back on, just metal tho.

4. Apr 17, 2011 at 6:05 PM
    jackassmcpunk

jackassmcpunk [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Boston
    I know it's sort of dumb, but I actually want to paint them white, to match the rest of the truck. I didn't even notice them for a year a half, but now I notice them every time I go to my truck and think, 'Man, those would look better color-matched'.

Anyways, I guess I'll be getting the drill out next weekend and see what I can do.

5. Apr 17, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    What about the blk rubber grommet in between the fenders and flares? Does not bother you?

6. Apr 17, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    If they're there to deflect debris, I suspect the white paint is going to chip off easily.

7. Apr 18, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
To Top