1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

passed MSF this weekend

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by rickmeseke, May 19, 2013.

1. May 19, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    rickmeseke

rickmeseke [OP] subaru of america

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    been riding illegally the past 6 months or so, no permit/license or insurance, but finally decided it was time to change that and break some bad habits so might as well take the MSF course.

passed 100% on both written and riding. only one in class to get 100% on both. guy next to me got 100 on riding and 96 on written.

girl whos number i got received a 100 on written and 4 points on riding, not bad.

everyone else barely scooted by mainly because the figure 8 and the fast braking.

didnt really learn anything i didnt know, but it was definetely fun practing figure 8s and u turns since its not often i do them and it was no problem

just figured id share im legal, well will be tomorrow, and i will no longer be at risk of getting my bike impounded lol

2. May 19, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Congrats, we took the Advanced Rider Course a decade ago and enjoyed it. I had a MC endorsement for 35 years and have worn out a number of machines from high mileage.

Remember, All the GEAR, ALL the TIME.

Howard

3. May 19, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    rickmeseke

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    i havnt gotten a pair of riding pants yet for whatever reason but its next on my list. i rode with gloves for the first time actually the other day and i hated it, maybe just because i never did it before, but it just didnt feel safe at all.

4. May 19, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I don't like riding with gloves either, but take a quick look on Google at some riding injuries sustained wearing sneakers/sandals, no gloves, shorts, etc...all bad. Even jeans and lightweight gloves are aren't much better...but they are something.

Good on you for getting legal...and make sure to get back and get the ARC...Thats the real fun!!

5. May 19, 2013 at 4:18 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You need to get a good fitting set of gloves.

6. May 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM
    rickmeseke

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    i meant to say i rode the first time without gloves. HAHA ive always wore gloves. to many beers to make sense today

7. May 19, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Oh...Good. I still hate riding with them...Hate flying with them too, but still strap them on to be safe...

8. May 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Congrats Rick!

You are now qualified to ride a small motorcycle at 25mph in an empty parking lot.

Now go out and learn how to ride. Ride safe, remember that complacency kills, and the 2nd year of riding is the most dangerous.
    Year 1, you are new and you know it.
    Year 2, confidence exceeds ability. Reactions have not yet become 2nd nature.

And don't buy that bullshit line that "there are two kinds of riders, those that have gone down and those that will go down".

9. May 19, 2013 at 4:27 PM
    Mad Man Marty

Mad Man Marty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma SR5 TRD Sport
    6speed, TRD intake, bed tie downs, weathertech rear,Tint
    Everyone that rides should take this course.

10. May 19, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    rickmeseke

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    ive been riding for a good half a year, and dirtbikes when i was a kid. i know what im doing. i just wasnt legal.

11. May 21, 2013 at 5:43 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Let me see, my gear for the commute to work...full face Snell approved helmet, textile touring jacket with CE armor, steel toed Doc Martins, and leather full finger gloves with knuckle armor.

I have a two one piece riding suits, a Aerostich for three season use and a Stealth suit for warmer weather. Good gear is worth the investment.

Howard

12. May 21, 2013 at 5:55 AM
    guitarjamman

guitarjamman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 2500
    Congrats on passing the course....I was sick of renewing my permit so I took the course at the end of last season and passed it with ease. Nothing better than knowing you are doing something within the limits of the law.

The insurance break is laughable at best - but now I can ride with my wife and even when the sun goes down.

13. May 21, 2013 at 7:24 AM
    rickmeseke

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    the insurance discount was a joke, i went to a local progressive agent yesterday and wanted to see what full coverage would be with and without the msf discount, without it 750/yr. with it 700 a yr. i said let me see liability, 83 dollars. i just took that, when i get my bonus in a few months i might add some more coverage to it but im legal now and dont have to worry every time i pass a cop whether or not im getting my shit impounded

and i went this morning and sat at the dmv for 2 hours just to get them to put the 'm' on my license

that place is hell, and i have to go back in 2 months lol

14. May 21, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I'm an MSF Advanced Instructor...and that gets me no more discount than just having passed the class as a student...HUGE joke.
    :/

15. May 21, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    Discount from State Farm for MSF completion $0. :mad:

16. May 21, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Sport M/T AC 4WD & '15 TRDOR DCSB 4WD
    A little of this and a little of that.
    Congrats to you Rick(OP) for completing the MSF course. There's piece of mind being legal. I took the beginner course after riding on the street for 5 yrs. I did have my license already. I did the MSF course with a friend/co-worker that was just getting into street bikes. I should take the advanced course now. Riding in Atlanta traffic may have caused some bad habits.

17. May 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ditto for AAA

18. Jul 10, 2013 at 6:02 AM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    Dude, gear up. There's really no excuse. Even when it is hot in the summer, get a light-colored summer jacket and a pair of summer riding gloves. I was a dumbass once and went riding without gear because it was during bike week and I wanted to look cool. When a car pulled out in front of me and i had to drop the bike, I had red raspberries all over my arm and my knuckles got busted open to the point that I still have scars.

I got both of mine from www.revzilla.com under the rev-it brand of gear.

I honestly dont know what it is with bikers and the obsession with the color black. It is hot as shit in the summer and you cant see it at night. The jacket I just got is lightweight, breathe-thru, armored and has a neon yellow stripe down each sleeve.

19. Jul 10, 2013 at 6:20 AM
    rickmeseke

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    thanks bro

20. Jul 10, 2013 at 6:31 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Speaking of visibility, I just added black reflective tape to both of my helmets...it is extremely discreet during the day, and shines white at night. I plan on adding some to my bike as well after I give it a bath. The previous owner removed all of the reflectors.

Products Discussed in

To Top