1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

passed the PA state police written exam...

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by muddin, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Jun 3, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    muddin

muddin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's on all four with some OME 885x's
    Yo guys and gals....well i got my test results back today on the written test for the Pennsylvania State Police....i passed it, they took 2000 of the 4000 who qualified and sat for the exam and am moving onto the oral exam. From what I hear the written and oral tests are the hardest thing getting into the PSP other than being in academy. I just met a friend of mines buddy who is a trooper in PA and my other buddy who is a marine also passed the test but his brother didnt...but he said some of his marine buddies who are already troopers said the written and oral are the two hardest things and if you get through them you get in eventually.

Anyone on here have any pointers on the oral part of the exam?

Are there any Pa or other state police here with any advice???

2. Jun 3, 2011 at 2:46 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Doublecab 4x4 IRP
    Lifetime LED 70W headlights 10-8-14 (set #2) Sylvania Silverstar fogs, front side windows tinted 27% to match the others, added Tacomaworld.com sticker, suspension TSB as of 7-21-09, Devil Horns by Andres, BFG's, Alpine with Bluetooth and Ipod contols, Rear view mirror relocation bracket, Ultragauge...
    congrats man

3. Jun 3, 2011 at 2:48 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Get to know their department, their mission statement, stuff like that. They like hearing that stuff in the interview. Good luck man

4. Jun 3, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    TacoSID138

TacoSID138 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    SoCal the valley
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD
    Tinted tails and 3rd brake light,deck-plate mod, dumped Flow Master 40, 5100/eibachs, 1.5 AP shackles, AP EXPD leafs
    x2 on this plus....
    thats great due congrats. im trying for fire, and i hear the orals are pretty strict too. just remember the usual things, firm hand shakes, introduce your self to the baord or the interviewers. look eveyone in the eye. be confident in yourself. they aving you take a polygraph??

5. Jun 3, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    muddin

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD OR

thanks everyone...im pretty pumped for it all...i know its only the beginning of the process pretty much but its a start.

and yea i will have a polygraph eventually if i make it to that part.

il def look up and know all the department info and mission statement stuff.

apparently they want to just hear how you handle yourself in the oral test and see what you would say as a CIVILIAN not a LEO...its that and the fact that the two troopers who administer it are most likely highly trained and can cut through the BS that some will spill out and they will be able to tell if your lying or not....its all psych stuff ha

6. Jun 3, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    This goes to the both of you, they will give you scenarios, just so they can see kind of how you think on your feet, and remember, your safety is always priority. Also, at the end they will ask you if you have anything to add, and make sure you thank them for their time and the opportunity to be there. Good luck to the both of you, I have worked in both fields, and both are great jobs.

7. Jun 3, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    TacoSID138

TacoSID138 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    SoCal the valley
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD
    Tinted tails and 3rd brake light,deck-plate mod, dumped Flow Master 40, 5100/eibachs, 1.5 AP shackles, AP EXPD leafs
    Cool that's good to know, thanks dude.

Good luck with the continuing process joel.

8. Jun 3, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    Congrats and good luck.
    I had just started testing for various departments when another opportunity came along. The oral exam can be nerve racking but if you have to do more than one you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.
    Just be confident and 100% honest, even if you think they won't like the answer.

9. Jun 3, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    muddin

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD OR
    thanks for the info il definitely remember to do that!

thanks steve! same to you!

yea honesty is def the key....im positive they can tell if your blowing smoke out the ass while you there haha

10. Jun 3, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Great another one!!
    j/k Congrats man!!

11. Jun 3, 2011 at 8:48 PM
    cleanTRDmachine

cleanTRDmachine watch the meat

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Q-Town, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    tint gray camo seat covers debadged color matched grille surround off of 06 TRD sport grillecraft black mesh grille Hella 500's demudflapped Toyota rear leaf TSB (first edition) 265/75/16 BFG AT TA KO's Flowmaster Super 40 #952445 Maglite Mod AntennaX 13in antenna Painted Lower Valance Vision X H4 Xenon headlights Halo Solaris H10 foglights Velocity Offroad 2.5 leveling kit (removed) Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers Rocky Mounts Clutch SD bike mount 4ft combo lock cable for bed extender Stage I interior LED's Toytec 1.5" AALs Extang Trifold Signature Series Bed Cover Reese front mounted tow hook Icon Stage 1 Suspension
    I'll pm you if I get a ticket....

Congrats bro! Good luck!

12. Jun 4, 2011 at 7:11 AM
    05 X-Runner

05 X-Runner Murdered X

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Napa, Nor-Cal. Whine Country U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    BSP 05 X-Runner, 07 TRD Sport Super White
    HVM C/F X-Runner badge 1 of 6 made,P/C'ed black rims,Blacked out Billet Grill,BLHM,HID's,Tinted tail covers, Fog light mod,BFLM,C2C Black eyelids,,C2C 1.75" Front drop 2" rear,C2C Hoodstruts,URD Shortshifter,URD T-CAI.Custom Coupe shiftball, NST Manifold Spacer.. 07 TRD Sport Super White,De-badged,White headlight Mod,Fog light mod,White tail light mod,C2C white eyelids, C2C hood struts
    Thats great, congrats and good luck..

13. Jun 4, 2011 at 9:23 AM
    muddin

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD OR
    thanks guys!.....not a trooper yet so i dunno about them tickets haha but im keeping my fingers crossed

14. Jun 4, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    Hot Tamale

Hot Tamale Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab 4x2
    Congratulations and good luck with the on-going process!

15. Jun 4, 2011 at 12:46 PM
    cleanTRDmachine

cleanTRDmachine watch the meat

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Q-Town, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    tint gray camo seat covers debadged color matched grille surround off of 06 TRD sport grillecraft black mesh grille Hella 500's demudflapped Toyota rear leaf TSB (first edition) 265/75/16 BFG AT TA KO's Flowmaster Super 40 #952445 Maglite Mod AntennaX 13in antenna Painted Lower Valance Vision X H4 Xenon headlights Halo Solaris H10 foglights Velocity Offroad 2.5 leveling kit (removed) Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers Rocky Mounts Clutch SD bike mount 4ft combo lock cable for bed extender Stage I interior LED's Toytec 1.5" AALs Extang Trifold Signature Series Bed Cover Reese front mounted tow hook Icon Stage 1 Suspension
    :(

16. Jun 4, 2011 at 1:31 PM
    Buzzoff

Buzzoff Don't go ninja'in nobody don't need ninja'in

Member:
    The Nickel/5th Ward
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC TRD Speedway Blue
    Blacked out windows, 5100's@1.75", KMC XD Hoss795 16x8
    I've been in L.E. for 16 years and have been in front of numerous boards and have conducted several interviews myself. Here are some pointers...

Like many have said, be honest. Take your time answering and use common sense. If they ask you situational questions answer them to the best of your ability, and don't try to be a superhero. They want people who have the ability to recognize problems and are able to use common sense.

Also dress to impress. If you are able to wear a suit and tie, do so. Shine your shoes. I have interviewed many people for positions and although I may be looking for certain work habits/abilities, it does hold a lasting impression if they are unshaven and their clothes look like they've slept in them. Also shake their hands and thank them.

good luck

17. Jun 4, 2011 at 2:39 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Debadged, GC Mesh Grill, Yellow Fogs, Color Matched Headlights w/ Retros, Diff Breather Mod; mickey thompson classic IIs, 5100s, toytec springs, Dakar Leaf pack, ss brake lines, Lots more...just check the build page.
    I went through the PA state police a few years ago before taking my current position w/ feds. My uncle was PA trooper until retirement. ANyway, I just wanted to wish you luck. PA was definitely the best group of guys to interview with. Just a great group of guys out there!

18. Jun 4, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    muddin

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD OR
    nice....what are you doing with the feds??? FBI?....my goal is to get to the FBI eventually later on. I just graduated with an accounting degree and i know its one of the qualifiers for special agent with the FBI. My plan is getting into law enforcement and then possibly applying in a few years. But hey if i were to make it as a trooper i think it would be really hard to leave.

19. Jun 6, 2011 at 7:02 AM
    muddin

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD OR
    so im taking the US Capital Police test in DC on the 18th...think that should be a walk in the park compared to the troopers....

also met an IRS Special Agent last week....he is gonna keep an eye out for me and let me know when they are hiring (he said he was pretty sure they were not right now)

rode with a dude who's brother is a US Marshal....yea efing right...trying to get a hook up there but that will be near impossible without previous work. but hey its still a connection.

Im hoping something pans out...the PA troopers are def my number one choice I can tell ya that!

20. Jun 15, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    Surfinpig

Surfinpig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 2.7 4x4 SR5
    Avid Offroad light bar, trd skid plate, are cap, billy 5100's
    Good luck! Tell the truth and dont be wishy washy with answers. State is a great job but as penndot security get ready to make left turns and don't be a dick. Never forget were u came from.

To Top