1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Passenger door lock is sticky - inside and out

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by beedoola, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Dec 13, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    beedoola

beedoola [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner 2.7
    I have a manual door/lock 01' prerunner. The passenger lock is really difficult to open from the inside as well as from the outside - when I put the key in the lock and try to turn said key to unlock the door, it takes a while and feels like the key is stuck. Any suggestions? Lock lube/spray? If I sprayed some in the key hole would that translate to lubricating the inside lock/tab as well? I want to avoid having to take the inside door panel off.

2. Dec 14, 2011 at 12:24 AM
    pidro_el_pirata

pidro_el_pirata Well-Known Member

Member:
    Okay, you say manual locks. So, what you mean by "inside as well as outside" is that it's difficult to turn the key outside the door as well as difficult to pull the knob up on the inside of the door? These are different parts of the assembly, and both end up pulling on separate rods that ultimately connect to the locking mechanism inside. Whatever is sticking is affecting both of these, so it must be the main lock assembly that you're having trouble with. So in short, NO, don't spray anything in there, it won't help and will probably gum things up!

I have a 2000 SR5 and I just took apart both doors to do stuff. I doubt your model is very different than mine. It took me five minutes, no more, to pull apart the door. Use the search function, there are plenty of how-to threads around here.

Also you can find the parts diagram to see what you're up against somewhere in here:

3. Dec 14, 2011 at 1:22 AM
    mackattack07

mackattack07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    william
    Jacksonville NC/Graceville FL
    Vehicle:
    99 Prerunner 3.4/2000 4Runner3.4/85 Pickup22R
    Lubeing the main lock cyl use white lithium grease my old 85 had that problem and white lithium grease worked

4. Dec 14, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    iDrew

iDrew I spend too much on vehicles...

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Edmond, OK
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    STOCK AF
    Same thing happened to me when I replaced my Driver side outer handle. All you have to do is take your door panel off and peel back the plastic dirt blocker, reach around the sheet metal where the outer handle is and pop the rubber grommet out and spray WD-40 liberally all over the locking mechanism. Check the latch and key holes while you do this. Keep pulling the latch up and pushing it back down so all the lubricant can get inside of the lock itself. It sounds like a PITA but it really isn't.

Alternatively, you could hit the inside door panel if you can't open the door from the inside.

I found that worked well, but I didn't want to keep doing it in the long run.

Hope that helps.

5. Dec 14, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    beedoola

beedoola [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner 2.7
    Ok, thanks guys!

Products Discussed in

To Top