1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Passenger floor board leak FIX

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TacosConQueso, May 15, 2016.

1. Apr 2, 2017 at 6:54 PM
    COMAtized99

COMAtized99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    99 DCLB v8
    The Bed is stock...ish

Interesting. What type of sealer did you use?

2. Apr 3, 2017 at 8:58 PM
    TacosConQueso

TacosConQueso [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    1999 Sierra Beige Tacoma 4x4
    It was just a standard silicone caulk. Ive heard of some people bashing silicone and saying its overrated for a long term solution but I imagine just any type of sealer would do the job

3. Apr 3, 2017 at 11:01 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I used to paint houses for a living and I have a good amount of experience with sealing up seams like this in woodwork. I've done a few projects with other kinds of silicone too. If you smoosh whatever you're using into the cracks with a flat stick or something round on the end, you'll get a lot better seal than just squeezing the stuff on top of the seam - although that can work. Silicone should be good since the parts aren't moving much against each other, but I'll go with this since I don't feel like taking any chances if I'm taking a fender or two off.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-seam-sealer-cartridge-black.html

mikkydee and COMAtized99 like this.
  4. Apr 4, 2017 at 9:10 AM
    mikkydee

mikkydee My Taco 2007 DCLB 4x4 Man Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Doyle
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver DCLB Tacoma, 4X4, 4.0 Liter, 6" lift, 20" rims, 34" tires
    6" lift, 20 " inch rims, 34" tires, billet grill, aftermarket fender flares, custom rear bumper, DVd player with backup camera, all LED lights
    I also was a painting contractor (30 year, second generation). Silicone sucks. However it it would likely work ok if that is all you have as long as you push it in and makes sure there is no air pockets underneath it. . However if I am going to the trouble to do this job, (its a pain in the butt) I would use something I had a little more confidence in like "Lexel" brand caulk, or "Through The Roof" brand caulk or a seam sealer like Delandser posted

5. Apr 4, 2017 at 9:41 AM
    halo07

halo07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma ExCab LX V6 5 Speed
    I think this may be my issue with my passenger side. Noticed the carpet was wet when we were trying to change body mounts. Plan on using this tutorial to help me track down the leak.

2002Tacoma4x4 and Dalandser like this.
  6. Jul 3, 2017 at 12:17 PM
    robblacktpre03

robblacktpre03 03 Tacoma Restore time

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 black pre runner
    k&n air filter, throttle body spacer, all pro UCA, 07 gun metal TRD FJ rims, blacked out interior trim
    I've tried everything from this thread and still have a leak. I'd have remove everything on the passenger side to get to the firewall

7. Jul 3, 2017 at 4:36 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    If you can have someone help you spray some water in the engine bay maybe you can remove enough from your dash area to spot where it's coming in? :notsure:

8. Jul 3, 2017 at 4:43 PM
    robblacktpre03

robblacktpre03 03 Tacoma Restore time

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 black pre runner
    k&n air filter, throttle body spacer, all pro UCA, 07 gun metal TRD FJ rims, blacked out interior trim
    I could see it was above the grommet

9. Jul 3, 2017 at 4:47 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Gotchya.

10. Sep 2, 2017 at 8:15 PM
    Aught2TaCO

Aught2TaCO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Wheat Ridge, CO
    Vehicle:
    '02 Taco TRD, aka Pearly
    Billie 5100's, new leafs, Falken WILDPEAK A/T 3W, 265/75/16E
    This just happened to me last week, and stumbling upon this thread is somewhat a divine intervention. Thanks OP for the write-up!

11. Nov 3, 2018 at 3:06 PM
    rogerman

rogerman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    HNL 808, SPN 670
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4wd 5speed
    I'm about to embark on this mission. Many thanks to @TacosConQueso for this write up. I'm going to use Lexel sealant as per @mikkydee. Wish me luck guys!

Aught2TaCO likes this.
  12. Nov 3, 2018 at 7:45 PM
    rogerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    HNL 808, SPN 670
    Vehicle:
    First snag: I can’t figure out how to remove the wiper motor from the linkage

13. Nov 3, 2018 at 8:54 PM
    TacosConQueso

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    If I remember correctly once you remove the bolts holding the motor on you can pull it out a little bit from the sheet metal. Then use a box wrench to remove the nut off of the motor shaft

EDIT: You can see the nut that has to be removed here:
    [​IMG]

mikkydee likes this.
  14. Nov 3, 2018 at 10:34 PM
    rogerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    HNL 808, SPN 670
    Vehicle:
    No photos sorry.

@TacosConQueso My mission was a Failure. I started too late in the day and rushed. Getting the hood, wipers, plastic cowl cover, and fender was easy. It turns out my truck is not nearly as clean as I thought and many fender bolts snapped due to rust. Once I got to the wiper motor part I attempted to remove the bolt attached to the motor arm but it was so corroded I was scared to put torque on it since it works just fine now and I need working wipers in hawaii.

With that I moved forward and tried to work with linkage and motor in way. I bought a cheap caulking gun and lexel sealant but the ID of the tubing I got was much too narrow. I cut the tip of the sealant too low making it much larger than the ID of tubing then couldn't find a wire rod to affix to tubing so I used a plastic rod that came with my gf's dead orchid.

So I massaged the much too small tubing over the broad tip of my caulk and attempted to pump the sealant. About half way through the tubing the casing of the sealant burst.

At this point the sun was near setting so I ripped off the hose and shoved the caulking gun in the wiper motor hole and release a big load inside then used the plastic rod to spread it along the seam. I was doing this from the large opening near the passenger side spreading somewhat blind but following the seam.

This is definitely not how I visioned this project but ah hell. I buttoned everything back together and drank 2 fast beers on an empty stomach and took the L. I'll check on it tomorrow but I'm not confident in my work.

I apologize for the wordiness and possible innuendos.

Dalandser likes this.
  15. Nov 3, 2018 at 10:45 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    See if it works - who knows, maybe it did the trick!

rogerman[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Nov 4, 2018 at 4:54 AM
    mikkydee

Member:
    First Name:
    Doyle
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    6" lift, 20 " inch rims, 34" tires, billet grill, aftermarket fender flares, custom rear bumper, DVd player with backup camera, all LED lights
    Wow this sounds like one of my ventures Rogerman!!! hahahahaha! :)

rogerman[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Nov 4, 2018 at 5:06 AM
    mikkydee

Member:
    First Name:
    Doyle
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    When I did this repair on mine, I figured out that my leak was coming from the cracked sealant around the vent tube that you see sticking up in this pic. In fact, in this pic you can see the sealant is cracked that seals around where the tube comes up. It was a complete pain to get my arm in there and smear the caulk 360% around the opening. But fortunately it cured my leak. While I was in there, just for future prevention, I went ahead and also caulked the seam all the way across the front that you see in front of the wiper arm since I had read that some people's leaks originated from there as well.

18. Nov 4, 2018 at 8:45 PM
    TacosConQueso

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    Im sorry you had such a hard time rogerman, there will definitely be days like that. At least now that you have done it maybe next time it will go a bit better if you have to go back in

That was probably a smart thing to do and I wish I had while I was in there. It wasn't the source of my leak this time but if I ever go in there again I will be sure to seal it too

19. Nov 5, 2018 at 5:22 AM
    Jon G

Jon G Hoarding Tacomas one at a time,

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    St John's Newfoundland Canada
    Vehicle:
    02, 04 & 07 Tacoma
    Magnaflow 2.5 Catback Exhaust K&N filter
  20. Nov 5, 2018 at 8:14 AM
    mikkydee

Member:
    First Name:
    Doyle
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Well thank goodness that fixed your leak. I had originally just caulked the front seam as that seemed to be where many people's leak originated from. I let the caulk dry overnight and did a water test. Still leaking. So that is how I determined my leak was from elsewhere. Thank goodness I didn't put everything back together before I let the caulk dry and did a water test to make sure the leak was fixed. On closer inspection I spotted how the caulk was cracking around the vent tube exactly as it was in the pic
    When I finally did get around to repairing my leak it had progressively gotten worse over time. It got to where it would completely soak down the passenger floorboard everytime it rained. From most my reading on the topic it appeared that the leak was fixed by caulking the front seam. So I worked extra hard to be sure I got that baby filled in good with caulk. Fortunately I let it dry and did a leak test the next day with the water hose. It didn't even slow the leak down for me, so I knew it had to be leaking somewhere else. After closer inspection I noticed on my truck the caulking was cracked around the pictured vent tube just like it is in the picture. After caulking all the way around that protruding tube and letting it dry again overnight, I did another leak test with the water hose. Yep, that fixed the problem on mine. However the only way I could get the far side caulked was accessing it through the side where I removed the passenger fender from. There was no way enough room to get a caulking gun or my hand in the access hole from that side, so as mentioned before, I had to use a dremel tool to cut through the metal in order to be able to bend the metal back enough to get my hand in there. to get some caulk on that side. Then rewelded the metal once I bent it back in shape. Primed it with some rust primer (spray can) everywhere I had to cut and weld, and then reinstalled the fender. Also as mentioned before, the access hole under the fender seems from pics I have seen to be bigger on some of the trucks than others so there may be enough room to do what you need without having to go through all that. When I started the project I had no idea it was going to be such a pain but I wanted to be sure if I was going to the trouble that I was thorough and never would have to do it again.

Products Discussed in

To Top