1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Passenger side dash, speaker cover, side lid rattle and vibration noise RESOLVED

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by GPsevinSixx, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Nov 30, 2016 at 9:06 AM
    GPsevinSixx

GPsevinSixx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ros Angerus
    Vehicle:
    2015twoAX2.4techPAWS
    6112/5160AALfnCNTSTRyokG015
    FYI 3rd gen owners, I believe I've found the source of the ticking type sound. It's not actually a rattle. Mine has been doing it consistently since the weather in LA has been 50F in the AM and the evenings. This morning, I was playing with it before leaving for work and was pushing on the A pillar trim panel lower and the sound was replicated. It sounds like some sort of adhesive film not sticking and then sticking again. I'm gonna pull the pillar trim off this weekend or possibly earlier if I have time at work and see what's behind/under there. The sound is towards the bottom of the A Pillar as it does have an interference fit with the speaker cover, which leads to many thinking it's coming from the cover itself, but is actually loading and distorting the A pillar trim as the vehicle moves around resulting in the sound we're all hearing. I drove it this morning without that very distinct ticking type sound after giving the panel a few nudges.

If anyone has the time to pull off the passenger side trim panel before I get to it, please post pics of the inside lower so we can see what's under there.

Edit/ update:

I was able to pull this pillar apart with just a 10mm socket to remove the handle. The caps can be removed if you can stick your fingernail in just enough to pop it out or have a small screwdriver handy. Can be done in less than two minutes.

So I was right as I mentioned earlier that it sounded like an adhesive film ticking. When cold, the film does not adhere well, and when warm, the adhesive will soften up and bond itself again to whatever it's attached to.

In our case, the adhesive backed foam is the culprit I believe. There's nothing else that I'm familiar with while looking at the innards on the body structure, sunroof drains, side airbag attachments, and the trim panel itself that would make this sort of noise.

Some background about me, I'm a former dealership tech and have a fair amount of experience on rattles and car noises, so I'm making an attempt to help the rest of you guys, since Toyota seems so clueless along with the dealerships. You won't have to go out of your way and lose work time/ money and aggravation of dealing with the the dealer who'll just break panels and whatnot requiring a special order part to replace what those monkeys have broken.

I should add that when reinstalling, should you attempt this yourself, please be mindful of the side curtain style airbag on the A pillar! You should pull back on flange rubber moulding around the door flange opening to aid easing the A pillar trim panel back into position. It needs to overlap! Look at the driver's side, if you're unsure. The final pic will also have the mating condition stated of the reinstalled piece.

On to the pictures since I'm sure that's what you guys want to see and get a better understanding of what I'm babbling on about.

Looking down the suspect pillar area
    IMG_7790.jpg

The inside of the panel and notice the shifting of the foam isolater/ damper against the support ribs due to heat and constant movement.
    IMG_7782.jpg

These two tabs can be trouble areas also as there are white dusty wear marks where it does contact the top speaker grill. I've applied adhesive backed felt to these areas as you will notice in further pics.
    IMG_7783.jpg

Next two pics show more detail of the shifted and krinkled adhesive film that's on the back of these foam isolator strips. I believe this stuff gets brittle and cold. This may actually be what we're hearing since it bunches up when it's shifted. The new trucks don't do this because they've not shifted yet. Mine started after a month. I've owned mine a little over 3 months now and have about 4300 miles on it currently.
    IMG_7785.jpg
    IMG_7786.jpg

I've pulled the foam and reattached them to the rib faces for now. It will likely shift again, but I'll find a better solution later if any annoying or offending sounds do come back.

Thin felt pads cutout and attached for insurance. These were initially what everyone thought it was and can possibly still be, so hence the prior thread with the toothpick fix to apply pressure temporarily on the offending components.
    IMG_7788.jpg
    IMG_7789.jpg

Reinstalled...
    IMG_7792.jpg

Thanks to Haikin for the vid! Mine does the same exact thing, but not quite as loud or his mic is just ultra sensitive.
    EDIT/ UPDATE: DECEMBER 8, 2016
    I'm at 4763 miles now since I did the "fix". Still quiet after a few hundred miles.

EDIT/ UPDATE: JANUARY 2, 2017
    At 5662 miles and the main complaint of the noise is completely gone. I've also found about 4 other areas that have started making noises after a few off-road trips. Notably, the driver's side A-pillar base, both door window switch panels, both door speaker moisture barriers, and side panel next to the glove box.

The biggest ones were from the door window switch panels on both sides. If you pop them both off, you'll also notice the dusty white wear areas where the plastics are rubbing on the raised rib areas. I believe these are supposed to create a tighter fight and eliminate sloppiness, but in turn with all the flexing and vibrations, they rub dry and start making enough noise to distract.
    I apologize for not being able to get any decent pics as I did most of it at night and just cut the felt out and applied to all the other areas. Here's a few pics though. Had to remove a bit of stuff to see how our trucks were assembled ;)

IMG_8042.jpg
    IMG_8044.jpg
    IMG_8045.jpg

EDIT/ UPDATE: Feb. 26, 2017

Mileage at 8120. No other abnormal sounds recurring but...
    I found my last remaining metallic rod vibrating type sound. Not sure if this what the others have described if not coming from the speaker/ A pillar area. My GF always notices it while in the front seat. Mine produced this sound around 3rd month of ownership and was very noticeable at 1500-2500 RPM. I thought it was two small metal rods vibrating against each other coming from the door initially, but it wasn't the case.

So yesterday, I pulled the side lid for the dash off again and found the contact mark between the two parts. It can be tapped lightly and you'd hear it prior to taking it apart. The gap was so small on mine, it only took a light touch, but enough to get it vibrating while vehicle was in operation. There's still no issues with driver's side dash after January update.

A friend at work gave me some of these Tesa brand fabric/ felt-like tape rolls that are used in many high end vehicles to isolate vibes and noise from direct plastic panel contact, so I decided to try it out. It works great! Remaining panel vibe from passenger side is now gone after driving through a small dirt trail and some very cracked asphalt roads for about 25 miles today.

IMG_8623.jpg
    Use a panel trim remover tool. Use the flatest one possible and insert into the gap and push through to release the adjacent red clip and proceed to pull the panel in an outward direction while prying another section with the trim tool.

IMG_8618.jpg
    Once removed, notice where the felt tape I've applied is in the middle area closest to the silver bolt. I've added the tape in several other areas also, but this is where the round nub from side lid touches and causes the most noticeable vibration sound.

IMG_8620.jpg
    This is the side panel backside and you will notice some contact residue (white dust) between the 9 to 11 o' clock area of the round nub, which contacts the inner structure of the instrument panel/ dash. This may have a touch condition on some vehicles and others may not, so either place the tape on the other side or grind this round nub down to eliminate the vibe sounds.

IMG_8621.jpg

Hope this helps some of you guys who don't want to take it into the dealer for something this small. It takes less than 5 mins to do.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. Nov 30, 2016 at 9:13 AM
    Haikin

Haikin Well-Known Member

Member:
    I "shaved" some of the plastic off the passenger dash speaker cover and it helped slightly. Still get a little tapping noise when it's cold in the morning but not nearly as bad.

3. Nov 30, 2016 at 9:14 AM
    Haikin

Haikin Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is the noise from mine https://youtu.be/ofPOQMSb-wI

4. Nov 30, 2016 at 9:19 AM
    Doggman

Doggman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MT
    I had a ticking sound of sorts that bothered me for a few weeks before I found out it was actually the seat belt buckle. I also had a bad one that had me concerned for a few minutes before I found out it was my sunglasses rattling around in the sunglass holder, ha.

I have heard something that sounded familiar to this but only once or twice over the course of 2700 miles or so. Both times it was gone the next time I drove it.

I have an almost phobia level issue with rattles. They are very irritating to me.

5. Nov 30, 2016 at 9:23 AM
    Haikin

Haikin Well-Known Member

Member:
  6. Nov 30, 2016 at 10:00 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    I fixed my dash rattle a couple days ago, it was driving me insane. Sorry I forgot to post about it.

It was all the way to the right corner of the dash. I stuffed a couple pieces of foam in there (between the dash and the windshield) and it shut right up.

ChadsPride likes this.
  7. Nov 30, 2016 at 10:02 AM
    GPsevinSixx

Member:
    Ros Angerus
    Vehicle:
    2015twoAX2.4techPAWS
    I was in there and the other thread about this, but none was actually solved. My update with pics will be following. I actually pulled it apart at work and checked as much as time would allow.

boynoyce likes this.
  8. Nov 30, 2016 at 10:06 AM
    PROseur

PROseur Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pussy
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJC TTSE/ 2001 Taliban Poverty DCSB/ 2017 6MT PRO / 2018 2.7L SR Utility
    Looking forward to your pics. Mine started it, as the LA temps dropped as well.

I was going to have the dealer monkeys look at it in about 1200 miles, when my 5K service is here. But I rather take care of it myself.

Appreciate the help

Garrett75x and boynoyce like this.
  9. Nov 30, 2016 at 10:13 AM
    KB Voodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    If you're on the road and it starts making the dreaded noise, just stuff some napkins in the upper right hand side of the dashboard between the windshield, and I guarantee it will go away.

10. Nov 30, 2016 at 10:15 AM
    PROseur

Member:
    First Name:
    Pussy
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. yeah took it on a 2800 mile road trip, and the last 300 miles it did the noise. Annoying enough that I started hating the PRO.

11. Nov 30, 2016 at 10:19 AM
    odinsbro15

odinsbro15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    LOS ANGELES CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Gray Tacoma trd offroad DCSB
    ROUGH COUNTRY FRONT 2 INCH LEVEL KIT, TINT, DIPPED RIMS, DITCH LIGHTS, CUSTOMER REAR FACING LIGHT, INTERIOR MATS
    i solved mine. on the speaker cover their are 2 tabs closest to the glass... both of those tabs should have felt that wrap around them... mine was bunched up so i re applied it and the noise stopped...

12. Nov 30, 2016 at 10:21 AM
    KB Voodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    It was driving me into a murderous rage, then my girl and I were on our way to Thanksgiving dinner, and she located the rattle, stuffed napkins in there, and it was GONE.

13. Nov 30, 2016 at 10:28 AM
    vuTron

vuTron Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD O/R DCSB AT
    @odinsbro15

Can you please share how you removed the speaker cover? I believe there are fragile tabs under there and some people have broken those tabs by accident while trying to remove....

14. Nov 30, 2016 at 10:29 AM
    vuTron

vuTron Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD O/R DCSB AT
    @GPsevinSixx

thanks for posting the pics... I hope you are able to pinpoint the exact location of tapping sound. I have some issue.

15. Nov 30, 2016 at 10:31 AM
    PROseur

Member:
    First Name:
    Pussy
    Vehicle:
    KEEP THAT GIRL!!!!

Jessrin, iceworks24, Marcmtb1 and 3 others like this.
  16. Nov 30, 2016 at 10:39 AM
    KB Voodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    She even drove home after I had about 26 IPA's at dinner :dancingbacon:

17. Nov 30, 2016 at 10:41 AM
    GPsevinSixx

Member:
    Ros Angerus
    Vehicle:
    2015twoAX2.4techPAWS
    Must love thy PRO......

18. Nov 30, 2016 at 10:43 AM
    GPsevinSixx

Member:
    Ros Angerus
    Vehicle:
    2015twoAX2.4techPAWS
    I believe it is the foam strips backed with the adhesive film. They make a crinkle sound when cold, and go away when warmer. I heard it last night and this morning when pushing against the pillar base, where the shifting and bunching of the foam was the worst. Pushing it in must've reattached itself as it did go away this morning while driving.

Also, to answer your Q about the speaker cover. There's a YouTube vid by taco tunes on how to remove it. Easily done.

iceworks24, Law950 and vuTron[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Nov 30, 2016 at 10:45 AM
    PROseur

Member:
    First Name:
    Pussy
    Vehicle:
    Actually I left my PRO at home today, due to the noise. I am tired of driving it, it is bothering me that much.
    Will attempt your fix once I get home.

20. Nov 30, 2016 at 10:54 AM
    Freetime

Freetime Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR AC 4x4 Quicksand
    Well there was your first problem. :puke:

Products Discussed in

To Top