1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PAtacoFF's Pennsylvania and Mid-Atlantic State Parks and Forests Campsite "reviews"

Discussion in 'North East' started by PAtacoFF, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Apr 9, 2021 at 11:46 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    When are you going to site 47? Memorial day weekend?

2. Apr 9, 2021 at 11:53 AM
    PennStateTaco

PennStateTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Metallic Grey TRD Pro Tacoma
    I stayed in site 61 which is right down the road from it. I could actually see parts of site 62 from my campsite. Are you camping in a trailer or tent? I think it might be rough to get a larger travel trailer in there. A pop up, rooftop tent or ground tent you will have no issues. Depending upon how many vehicles you are taking and how they are camping, I would expect you could fit several tents on this site no problem at all.

3. Apr 9, 2021 at 12:01 PM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I will be in a tent with my truck, at least 2 other trucks, one with an RTT and one with a ground. No trailers in our group. Potential for 2 more trucks (5 total) with those having ground tents too. Damn I didn't know site 62 was so close to 61, I was really hoping it was in this large clearing here: 40.81513, -77.34882 but it doesn't look that way since the FS gave me 40.8251, -77.3508 as the coordinates. Either way, we will make it work I am sure.

4. Apr 9, 2021 at 12:10 PM
    PennStateTaco

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    Did you indicate to them the amount of people that were coming? I think there can be no more than 10 to a site. When I say I could see site 62. Literally like 100 yards or so through the woods I could see a tent. I couldn't really see anything other than I could tell the campsite was there and a tent was there barely visible because it was a blue colored tent. The whole site is maybe 100 yards away. When I drove out on the road and passed by I could see the tents sets up but not really too much from my campsite. The tent was barely visible through the woods.

You may find 5 vehicles tough to fit in there. I don't really know for sure because I didn't stay in that site but I remember from the road it had plenty of room, but a lot of vegetation and ground cover. You will have to let us know what you think.

5. Apr 9, 2021 at 12:13 PM
    PennStateTaco

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    FYI... Here is a pic of the layout. Do you have a map from DCNR?

upload_2021-4-9_15-13-27.jpg

Attached Files:

andthen likes this.
  6. Apr 9, 2021 at 12:14 PM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Yeah each truck is only 1 person so that's not a concern. Will definitely let you know how it goes, what type of ground vegetation? Jut shrubs or whatever?

And yeah I have that map, their dual sport map and the super huge detailed map. I've explored Bald Eagle a bunch in the truck but have only stayed at sites 14 and 64 so far.

7. Apr 9, 2021 at 12:33 PM
    PennStateTaco

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    The vegetation/ground cover you would normally see in the woods on the ground. Maybe 3 or 4 inches high.. As I recall there was lots of it, nothing a tarp would not fix. It looked fairly flat to me from the road.

This pic is what I am talking about
    upload_2021-4-9_15-39-50.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    andthen and cynicalrider[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Apr 9, 2021 at 2:44 PM
    PAtacoFF

PAtacoFF [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver DCSB
    Yep. Not sure if it's gonna be a me only trip, a family trip, or a friends trip. Only thing I do know is it'll be the first time out in the woods this year and I'm looking forward to it

9. Apr 9, 2021 at 3:50 PM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    we might stop by, looks like you were the one who took the site I wanted :rofl: and I feel you. Need to get out in the woods to reset. We will be there the 27th-29th but gonna try to be up there night of the 26th too.

PennStateTaco likes this.
  10. Apr 9, 2021 at 5:08 PM
    PAtacoFF

Member:
    S. Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver DCSB
    :thumbsup: I didn't even realize it was a holiday weekend when I first picked it, I just picked it bc it lined up well with my work schedule.

PennStateTaco likes this.
  11. Apr 19, 2021 at 11:55 AM
    Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR DCSB
    I haven't used my camping gear since we went drove out to Yellowstone 5 years ago. We need to get out in the woods, thanks for the kick in the pants guys.

PAtacoFF[OP] likes this.
  12. Apr 22, 2021 at 2:50 PM
    JDUB-Fabrication

JDUB-Fabrication Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newburgh NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Lexus GX460
    I’ll be at BESF Memorial Day weekend too! We have sites 25-26. Most of my friends are bringing dual sports and atvs, and or don’t want to explore the trails with there princess trucks. So if anyone is interested in 4x4 trails for the weekend hit me up. I’ve done a number of them.

and for what it’s worth, site 47 is definitely the best one I have seen.

PAtacoFF[OP] and DoVeR TaCo like this.
  13. Apr 22, 2021 at 5:57 PM
    PAtacoFF

Member:
    S. Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver DCSB
    Depending on who comes along with me I might be up for running a trail or two. I'll reach out again before that weekend.

14. May 3, 2021 at 8:52 PM
    PAtacoFF

Member:
    S. Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver DCSB
    Cowans Gap State Park

Took a short impromptu trip to Cowans Gap State Park this last weekend. A former coworker has organized a group trip to the park for many many years now. This year he was able to finally fulfill his and the original other attendee's goal of occupying every cabin in the park on the planned weekend. Somebody backed out and a cabin became available so my family quickly decided to go. Sadly the other original guy passed away last year and wasn't able to see their wish fulfilled. However his family was there to see it, and join in the now traditional group dinner.

IMG_7753.jpg

Cowans Gap State Park is located in south central PA south of the Fort Littleton Turnpike exchange and is easy to access from the turnpike. This is so far the largest state park, by the number of campsites available, that I have been to. There are at least 150!!! sites in the park that are available thru different periods of the year. There are sites to fit all sizes of RV's and tents. There are to many great sites to list. There are some not great sites but unlike other parks I don't know that there are to many BAD sites (at least by my standards). There are quite a few tent only sites on the outer upper section of loop A (59-74) that would be great for larger groups to reserve together. A downside to all of those sites, it's gotta get really busy during the peak season.

The bathhouses here are some of the best I have seen in a PA state park. They are clean and very large.

Firewood is available at multiple locations. It isn't the best deal around for a bundle but it also isn't the worst.

Bears aren't an issue here and we didn't really notice any other wildlife in the campground area of the park either (is that a plus or a minus?).

There is a really nice lake here with an easy lakeside hiking trail of about 1.5miles. Lots of fishing spots around the stocked lake, as well as the creek that feeds the lake. There is a nice swimming beach as is normal for PA state parks but this whole lake area seemed nicer and more spread out than others with the concession stand, changing rooms, pavilions, etc.

IMG_7705.HEIC.jpg

For our family I think the main attraction of this park would be the cabins during the off season. All of the cabins are similar, but each has their own individual identity and have wood stoves, electric ovens, microwave, a refrigerator, and two sets of bunk beds in divided "rooms". I'm not really a cabin "camping" individual but there is something to be said for taking the family out and getting away even in less than perfect weather. We had a really great and relaxing weekend.

IMG_7748.HEIC.jpg IMG_7726.HEIC.jpg IMG_7721.HEIC.jpg

Can't forget the weather rock

44777FC0-B1E4-457D-9A44-10FC14EC18FA.jpg

15. Jun 3, 2021 at 1:15 PM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    So site 62 was awesome, and could easily fit 5 trucks through out. We had 3 and there was plenty of space still.

[​IMG]

Also checked out 61 our of curiosity and that lean to looked mighty cozy for winter trips.

The guys checked out 47 accidentally but I never got to. The dual sport trails in that forest were extremely enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33FlzLhmTgk

And so were the views:

[​IMG]

16. Jun 29, 2021 at 2:57 PM
    PAtacoFF

Member:
    S. Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver DCSB
    There weren't any rocks blocking access to parts of the site? I'm not sure why I marked this site as not worthy, I thought I remembered access to the deeper parts or grade being one of them. Guess I need to check it out again.

17. Jun 29, 2021 at 3:08 PM
    PAtacoFF

Member:
    S. Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver DCSB
    BESF Site 47

Stayed at site 47 on Memorial Day weekend. Went up on Thursday and the weather was perfect.
    IMG_5490.jpg
    IMG_5480.HEIC.jpg

The site was great as expected.......
    And then it started to rain. And rain. And what the hell rain some more. Not always hard, sometimes just a mist even. But it was wet. If you want it to rain, send me on a solo camping trip and it'll rain.

IMG_5501.HEIC.jpg

So I did what every reasonable person does and holed up in the tent and drank beer while studying for my promotional exam.

IMG_5500.HEIC.jpg

Left a day earlier than expected during a "dry" spell. The goal of the trip was to get out alone, relax, and finish my reading which were all accomplished. If it hadn't rained I would have stayed the whole time planned, but I took advantage of the dryish weather to pack everything up and head home.

andthen and 4x4Taco2012 like this.
  18. Jun 29, 2021 at 3:57 PM
    PAtacoFF

Member:
    S. Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver DCSB
    My Old Kentucky Home State Park

Ok, ok, this isn't mid-atlantic but deal with me here.

After my BESF trip last fall in the rain I decided I had had enough of trying to be comfortable in a tent in the rain. I did it, I even enjoyed it. But I knew I could enjoy it more in something slightly larger and something with hard sides. So the wife and I talked it out and placed a deposit on a Hiker Trailer, a nice little square drop trailer for a nice little reasonable price.

IMG_8290.HEIC.jpg IMG_8292.HEIC.jpg

I was hoping it would be ready before my BESF trip on Memorial Day, but alas it was not. And of course it rained for that again. However the trailer was ready for the week of our anniversary and the wife was excited to make the trip to pick it up and turn our anniversary into a camping trip. I pulled up the map and showed here where we where picking up the trailer and said where do you want to go. Her reply "have you heard of the bourbon trail?". Damn I love that woman!

Our first 2 nights with the trailer were spent at My Old Kentucky Home State Park in Bardstown Kentucky.

IMG_5558.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_5582.HEIC.jpg

We are really spoiled in Pennsylvania with our state parks. PA has really made a push to upgrade the facilities at the parks, especially the bathhouses. And parking pads. This park, not so much. The bath house was useable, but that's the extent of it. It certainly wasn't new, and/or clean. And the parking pads, there might have been two level sites out of the 30 some sites there. The electric and water hookups are at the minimum 15ft from the back of the pad, some are over 25. If there is wood for sale we didn't see it. Overall just a Meh campground. Not offensive, but not nice either. It'll do, and it did.

However, the town and the activities (BOURBON) around the town are really really nice. The campground was just outside of downtown and was a short 3-5 minute drive to restaurants, coffee shops, and breweries.

IMG_8378.jpg

And then around the town are a bunch of distilleries, 10 or so in a ring around town and many more 30-60 min away including the big names such as Four Roses, Jim Beam, etc. We visited a few, had some some drinks, and took a tour.

IMG_5574.jpg IMG_5577 2.jpg

Overall I'd rate Bardstown and the area an 8. The campground I'd rate a 4. We would definitely go back but stay in one of the many bed and breakfasts that are there the next time.

andthen likes this.
  19. Jun 29, 2021 at 5:16 PM
    PAtacoFF

Member:
    S. Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver DCSB
    Seneca Shadows National Forest Campground, West Virginia

For our second leg of our anniversary camping trip we drove across Kentucky and into West Virginia arriving at Seneca Shadows campground at the base of Seneca Rocks. Now this is a campground! There are two non electric loops, and one loop with hookups. The loops without hookups are really really nice. The sites are well spaced, relatively flat, and relatively large. There are even a few double sites in each loop if you want to come with friends and have a Large space for multiple tents or trailers to spread out. The bathhouses while not large (only 1 shower per bathroom) the are clean and maintained. There is potable water just outside of the bathroom. Firewood can be ordered when booking the site, and there is a golf cart that drives around with firewood for sale each evening.

IMG_5584.HEIC.jpg IMG_5585.HEIC.jpg

The biggest attraction in the area is Seneca Rocks. One of the premier rock climbing locations on the east coast. There is a hiking trail to nearly the tops of the rocks with a great view over the valley below.

IMG_5587 2.jpg

About a 40 minute drive north outside of Davis WV is Blackwater Falls State Park. The main attraction here for many is the falls. But there are tons of trails in the area for hiking and biking, as well as many other outdoor activities.

IMG_5601.jpg

We drove the campgrounds and there are some nice sites there, but to us it was hit or miss for what we like.

The night before our actually anniversary we had our anniversary dinner at the campground. We had brought along a bottle of bubbly Rose and at the request of the wife, ham and cheese mountain pies.

IMG_8451.jpg IMG_8459.jpg

We loved the campground and the area. We will definitely be back in the area in the future. There is a ton of outdoor activities in the area. Good food and drinks can be found in Elkins and Davis. The biggest drawback is its in the mountains of WV and you gotta drive the mountains of WV. Nothing is close, even if it is close, and the tractor trailer drivers have seem to have a death wish on the mountain descents.

andthen, Twinmold and MY50cal like this.
  20. Jul 22, 2021 at 6:04 PM
    PAtacoFF

Member:
    S. Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver DCSB
    Watkins Glen State Park NY

This past week my wife, son, and I along with my wife's brother, mother, and niece camped for three nights at Watkins Glen State Park in NY state. It was the in-laws first trip to the region and a great way to spend some time with that side of the family.

Watkins Glen is a small village at the bottom of Seneca Lake in the heart of the Finger Lakes (FLX) area of NY. Watkins Glen is probably best known for its historic race track which has hosted F1, Indy Car, NASCAR, as well as most other race series over the years. After the race track Watkins Glen is known for its beautiful waterfalls along the Gorge Trail inside of Watkins Glen State Park.

The state park campground is located up the hill from the main entrance to the Gorge, and has a trail located in the campground that gives direct access to the gorge trail. Our site was in the Seneca loop at site 243. As you can see below there was plenty of room for our small Hiker trailer, a 4 person tent and two canopies along with two vehicles.

IMG_5769.HEIC.jpg

IMG_5772.HEIC.jpg

There are 6 loops with about 300 sites. There are many really nice level well spaced sites in the park, but there are also many old school not level, close together, small sites in the park as well. Carefully choosing the type of site you prefer based on site pics and descriptions on the reservation website is important. The park was maybe about half full during this stay and it was very quiet, but we did stay there 2 years ago over Fourth of July when the park was full. On that stay it was noisier but still acceptable. There is one bathhouse for each loop with two showers in each the mens and women's sides. The bathhouses aren't knew but they have been updated with new paint throughout and fresh tiling in the showers, and they are kept pretty clean considering the amount of traffic they see. Even during our first stay when the park was full we didn't have a problem getting a shower when we wanted. Both wood and ice are for sale at the campground office. Wood is $8 a bundle or $20 for three bundles. The wood is split, debarked, kiln dried and packed in heavy plastic bags with a carry handle. They are decent size but bc the wood is so dry it will burn hot and quick. The ice is $3 a bag for regular size bags.

We hiked the Gorge trail on our first full day of the trip. The Gorge trail is a little under 2 miles long, rises over 400 feet including 832 stone steps, and features 19 waterfalls. The area had seen about 3in of rain over the previous few days and the creek through the gorge was running particularly full and fast, and made for some great displays at the falls.

IMG_5751.HEIC.jpg IMG_5729.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_5739.HEIC.jpg

Besides Watkins Glen, another reason to visit the FLX is for wine tastings. Seneca Lake features near perfect geography for growing wine grapes in the United States. The size of the lake along with its depth stabilizes the air temperatures on the nearby hills and prevents the lake from freezing over in the winter. There are well over 50 wineries around Seneca Lake with many more around nearby Keuka and Cayuga Lakes. Small breweries and distilleries are also popping up all over the place. My wife and I own a house in Geneva NY with is at the top of Seneca Lake (yes we love the area so much that we will camp there when our house isn't available). One of our favorite places to visit when in the area is Fox Run Winery. They have a really nice bistro in the winery with a large deck that overlooks Seneca Lake. The view this time wasn't the best due to haze from the Canadian wildfires that was brought in by the jet stream.

64849736517__F52D1BAD-22A8-40B7-80C0-300495EC7D58.HEIC.jpg

On the last night before all hell broke loose in the form of storms we took the in-laws down to the lake and walked out on the rock jetty surrounding the small harbor.

IMG_5776.HEIC.jpg

If you need a new place to go, and possibly have it turn into one of your favorite places I can definitely recommend Watkins Glen State Park and the surrounding area.

andthen, stbear and MY50cal like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top