1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Paul's TRD Build Thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Paul's TRD, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Feb 21, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    Paul's TRD

Paul's TRD [OP] I'm Not Your F***ing Brother

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    Okay added some N-Fab step bars. I know they are a dime a dozen on this website, but all the Taco's I see around my area only ever have those running board type. They still look awesome anyways. Got them from Autoanything.com for $280.00 w/shipping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also added/or fabbed up was a wheel holder for my mountain bikes. I already had a fork mount bike holder and on my previous truck I used to have a wheel holder that was mounted horizontally, basically was stationary and stuck out the bed rail about 15". well I gave that wheel holder to a friend, b/c I then bought a Tahoe and just started using those rear bike carrier, so I had no need to take off front wheel. Anyways, I needed the wheel holder again but I didn't want it sticking out stationary this time. I wanted it to fold down, however if I just had it fold down with some type of hinge, I'm sure the take off and braking would make swing back and forth.

Without further adieu, here is my write up on making that collapsable wheel holder.

First I got some 1" aluminum strap and measured and cut to hold a wheel. Fairly easy, it's a no brainer.

[​IMG]

Wheel holder made. I painted it semi-gloss black to match the bike holder and of course makes it a little more stealth.

[​IMG]

I went to my local hardware and picked up two spring tension hinges. the kind they use for screen doors. they work great and cost about $14.00. Drill your holes in the wheel holder to match the holes in the hinges. Of the aluminum strap I had left over I made a back plate and tapped and threaded to use to hold the hinge on the utility rail. Bolt it altogether and set the tension on the hinge to your liking. I just used the very first tension hole. that's all it needs.

[​IMG]

Here is the finished product bolted on. Now, when you have the wheel off the wheel holder is pushed against the bed walls with a little tension as to not swing back and forth when accelerating or braking. also, my main reason for doing this was to avoid losing space by having these horizontally stationary mounted. I made two and have the other set up on right side of bed towards rear. Total project cost me about $29.99, plus about 1 hr of work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Feb 28, 2011 at 9:28 AM
    Paul's TRD

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    Here is my PSA FWIW:

When I started my Satoshi mod. I purchased a stock grill from partsgeek.com so I had a fresh and extra template to do my work. Once complete I detached the painted part of the stock on truck grill to mount on to the modded partsgreek.com grill. well. I had used gorilla glue before and seemed to hold up pretty good on other things so I figured the same. well, about 8 months later it came loose on some parts of the grill and was making this awful buffeting sound at high speeds. Figured it out and now have used the 2 part epoxy plastic welder and this seems to work so much better. anyways, hopes this helps someone. :eek:

3. Feb 28, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    chaz834

chaz834 Tacoma 4 Life.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Kendrick, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sport MGM
    3'' Tuff Counrty Lift, Moromoto Mini H1 Projectors 5000K 35W, BHLM, 30'' LED Light Bar, Black TOYOTA Emblem, Excelon Touch Screen Deck, Hertz Speakers,Excelon AMP, 2 10'' JL Audio Subs, Wet Okle seat covers, Weather Tech Floor Mats.
    Nice pickup. :cool:

4. Mar 15, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    RedToy

RedToy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 4wd Double cab longbed sport pkg
    Moto Metal 951's BF Goodrich All-Terrains 265/70/r17's, Fat Bob's Garage 2.5" front coil spacer and 1" rear block, Black DeeZee tube steps, Truxedo LoPro QT Roll up tonneau cover, tint matched front windows, K&N Aircharger cold air intake. Husky liners front and back. Ziebart lifetime head to toe-inside and out.
  5. Apr 13, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    Paul's TRD

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    Subbing to my own build thread. accidently deleted it.:facepalm:

6. Apr 14, 2011 at 7:35 PM
    08FireRescueTaco

08FireRescueTaco 08Blue_Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Roanoke
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Manual 6spd
    2008 off road 6spd manual Procomp stg 1 6in lift Allpro hd expo leaf pack 16in fuel boost wheels 315/75r16 motto trail grapples Flomaster duel 40s exhaust Doug Thorley LTH Volant CAI Relentlessfab front bumper Fox 2.0 coilovers Prinsu designs roof rack Sport hood Urd short shifter Nfab side steps Bushwacker flares
    where did you purchase your mesh for your grill?

7. Apr 14, 2011 at 8:38 PM
    Paul's TRD

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    I got it off ebay.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. May 19, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    Paul's TRD

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    So, my most recent mod was to add Firestone Ride Rite airbags so that I can tow this........Bam!!!!

[​IMG]

9. Jun 2, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Still looks killer man!

10. Jun 2, 2011 at 8:19 PM