1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Payload Capacity Upgrade Options - TRD OR

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by lissa, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Jan 13, 2021 at 9:59 PM
    79CHKCHK

79CHKCHK Padawan of Rock Lobster

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2018 Super White TRD Pro AT
    Oh, and it's only about $350K worth of upgrades...

OG_Tacoma likes this.
  2. Jan 14, 2021 at 7:09 AM
    lissa

lissa [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alissa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR
    Thanks for all the advice on potential options and places to do more research, I’ll definitely start looking into everything that was suggested!

I realize I may have been unclear in my OP when I said “slim margin” (I know we’re over the limit once we put ourselves and our gear into the truck, which is the whole reason for wanting to increase the payload, but I guess I didn’t communicate that too effectively. Whoops! )
    I apologize for any confusion on that end!

Given that we’d also need to lift the camper a couple inches off the bed to clear the Bluetooth wing (so raising our center of gravity as well), I was hoping there was a way to do a payload upgrade so that we could hold the camper safely, especially for off grid travel.

We’re currently building out the back with a modular setup, and it looks like we’ll probably end up using that for anything we do that’s either long term (so as not to put too much stress on the truck) or...questionable as far as (lack of) roads, and reserve the camper for shorter/closer to home/strictly road travel trips, and then pop it in the bed once my partner upgrades from his Nissan hardbody to something bigger.

Thanks!

3. Jan 14, 2021 at 7:13 AM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    FWIW, there are nice folding campers with high ground clearance. These are set up for some off road camping.

I doubt if you could rock crawl while towing, but fire roads and dunes would be possible.

Chew, lissa[OP] and Junkhead like this.
  4. Jan 14, 2021 at 9:31 AM
    79CHKCHK

79CHKCHK Padawan of Rock Lobster

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2018 Super White TRD Pro AT
    The lack of payload in the Tacoma is one of the reasons I decided to go with an off-road trailer. I can carry all the luxuries of home (and I do mean luxuries) while being completely off-grid. I also wanted to be able to take the truck without packing up camp. On top of exploring off-road with the Tacoma, we like to hike, fish, and paddle board. I like having a base camp to come back to after a long day out and about with the Family (me, wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs).

OG_Tacoma, Knute, Chew and 3 others like this.
  5. Mar 5, 2022 at 8:30 PM
    functionalbuzz

functionalbuzz New Member

Member:
    I made an account to simply comment on this. I am an engineer that served in the military. That sticker on the door is to avoid getting sued, they place that number far lower. While serving ALL the hajis had tacomas, brand new ones. They loaded those things with armor and heavy weapons; with all the hajis in it their payload had to be 3000lbs. They could move too, they were not flipping over, it was the real deal. those tacomas were used to fight in war, and they hold up. With timbrens I put 1400lb dry weight slide in camper on a short bed tacoma with payload rating of 990. Those engineers that came up with that number are absolute hacks. I can tell you almost 100% certainty that on paper somewhere that number is actually closer 1500-1600. That is about the max too. imagine if Toyota put a sticker that said absolute max payload 1650lbs use extreme caution. You'd have American retards loading 2000lbs flipping over on the highway. With 990lb payload Toyota isn't liable for anything.

6. Mar 6, 2022 at 5:07 AM
    FL_TRD Sport

FL_TRD Sport Suffering from Severe Wallet Drain

Member:
    First Name:
    Hector
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport MGM DCLB (Sold)
    KDMax Pro 10.0, Form Lighting Tail Lights, and more
    First of all thank you for your service. I have no doubt based on your experience that everything you say is true. Problem is that the sticker on that door is what your friendly neighborhood state DOT is going to gauge you by when they pull you over to check your load. It may very well handle a lot more than that sticker says, but you're still illegal if you go over the GVWR. And no sticker, owners' manual warning, or neon sign is ever a 100% shield from liability. Corporate attorneys do their best to mitigate it, but it's never zero risk. Same with signed liability waivers.

abodyjoe likes this.
  7. Mar 6, 2022 at 5:10 AM
    shotgunbilly420

shotgunbilly420 OG Owner 230k+mi club/Tacoma enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Montesano, Washington elv. 66ft
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd Tacoma offraod AT Inferno
    315/75/16, 6in modded RC lift,Anderson Engineering manifold spacer,K&N air intake, URD YPipe, stock exhaust ,16" method nv305 wheels, AFE throttle body spacer, vf Tune program, JTL 3.0 Oil catch can x2, rear cat delete
    I'm adding Firestone airbags . By the time I add my gear I just add air to air bags to level truck out

8. Mar 6, 2022 at 5:17 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Useful. To a point.

Sitting level does not equal increasing payload.

You might note that the original poster has been gone over a year...............

Products Discussed in

To Top