1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Payload Capacity Upgrade Options - TRD OR

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by lissa, Jan 13, 2021 at 1:07 PM.

1. Jan 13, 2021 at 9:59 PM
    79CHKCHK

79CHKCHK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Super White TRD Pro AT
    Oh, and it's only about $350K worth of upgrades...

2. Jan 14, 2021 at 7:09 AM
    lissa

lissa [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alissa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR
    Thanks for all the advice on potential options and places to do more research, I’ll definitely start looking into everything that was suggested!

I realize I may have been unclear in my OP when I said “slim margin” (I know we’re over the limit once we put ourselves and our gear into the truck, which is the whole reason for wanting to increase the payload, but I guess I didn’t communicate that too effectively. Whoops! )
    I apologize for any confusion on that end!

Given that we’d also need to lift the camper a couple inches off the bed to clear the Bluetooth wing (so raising our center of gravity as well), I was hoping there was a way to do a payload upgrade so that we could hold the camper safely, especially for off grid travel.

We’re currently building out the back with a modular setup, and it looks like we’ll probably end up using that for anything we do that’s either long term (so as not to put too much stress on the truck) or...questionable as far as (lack of) roads, and reserve the camper for shorter/closer to home/strictly road travel trips, and then pop it in the bed once my partner upgrades from his Nissan hardbody to something bigger.

Thanks!

3. Jan 14, 2021 at 7:13 AM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma SR5
    Stock 4WD, Access Cab, White
    FWIW, there are nice folding campers with high ground clearance. These are set up for some off road camping.

I doubt if you could rock crawl while towing, but fire roads and dunes would be possible.

Chew, lissa [OP] and Mrtacoman88 like this.
  4. Jan 14, 2021 at 9:31 AM
    79CHKCHK

79CHKCHK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Super White TRD Pro AT
    The lack of payload in the Tacoma is one of the reasons I decided to go with an off-road trailer. I can carry all the luxuries of home (and I do mean luxuries) while being completely off-grid. I also wanted to be able to take the truck without packing up camp. On top of exploring off-road with the Tacoma, we like to hike, fish, and paddle board. I like having a base camp to come back to after a long day out and about with the Family (me, wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs).

Knute, Chew, LDrider and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top