1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PC or MAC

Discussion in 'Technology' started by VixTacom, Oct 28, 2009.

?

PC or MAC

Poll closed Jan 26, 2010.
  1. PC

65 vote(s)
    42.5%
  2. MAC

88 vote(s)
    57.5%
  1. Oct 28, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    My buddy tells me this. When and if my apple breaks which is rare. He takes it to apple store to get it fixs. With his Sony and delll before the mac; he had to send it in because he didn't pay for the extra onsite service..

Which I think thAt is cool because I have a Sony laptop that does not work and they want to to send it in and pay for this and that..
    And no I will not take it to geeksquad because they told me that I would have to pay them to have it shipped to Sony!

Guess I would rather take a mac to apple and have them fix it and have it back that day

2. Oct 28, 2009 at 2:37 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    It's the same crap in a PC or a Mac. They can both break. Glad you've had good luck with your Mac's!!

I think that the major difference is that Apple only has to support a limited number of computer configurations with their OS (because they make the computers). However, Windows has to support a huge number of possible PC configurations. This can lead to issues related to computer crashes (e.g. the "blue screen of death").

Also, OS X is a GREAT operating system. I have used Linux in the past and it works great. However, the user interface with the Mac is MUCH more user friendly (i.e. the average person can easily install new software).

Cheers.

3. Oct 28, 2009 at 2:46 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Found the link for students that have emails that end with ".edu". Get Windows 7 for $30

4. Oct 28, 2009 at 2:56 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    my only problem with your argument is the price thing. i priced maxed out pc's and they were roughly the same price as the macs i was looking at with similar options. you can buy cheap pc's but if you want a good one its the same price as a mac

5. Oct 28, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You'd rather pay for shitty programming just because it is proprietary?? ::cough:: anything microsoft writes ::cough::
    The Pystar case is not based (from what I have read) on two similar computers...It's about the licensing and use of the Mac OS. Exact same specs is a questionable statement. If you buy a PC with a backlit keyobard, web cam, etc MAC has you'd pay as much if not more than for a comparable Mac.
    It's clear you don't like Mac because you don't want to....It's your choice. I don't care what you compute on...You need to be happy with it...but being well informed is important.

6. Oct 28, 2009 at 3:43 PM
    Constant

Constant Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad X-Cab
    @Brunes. . .I was referring to paying for the Mac OS when its emulating Linux, a free (for most distributions) open source OS.

The Pystar incident primarily concerned violation of Apple's EULA for their OS saying you can't install the OS on that hardware since it isn't apple's iirc. The reason I brought it up in the first place was because of the hardware used to build the "mac clone" vs what its apple model cost.

Yes, I don't like Macs because I dont want to. I provided my reasons why. I never said Microsoft was better. I advocate open source software because theres practically a free prog out there for everything that does a GREAT job. e.g., Open office, Daemon Tools, Auslogics freeware, etc etc.

@nd . . . ur totally right, i should have been more specific. I was thinking in terms of laptops (new quad models exempt), not desktops.

7. Oct 28, 2009 at 3:46 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    My husband and I used to be die-hard Mac fans.....and that was probably 10+ years ago. We switched over to PC's because of the lack of available programs for a variety of things.

Obviously, that was a long time ago.....and things have probably changed since.

Would I go back? No, not unless I had a need to do some kick-ass graphic stuff. But PC's are fine and there's BOOOKU stuff available obviously.

8. Oct 28, 2009 at 4:02 PM
    Yuma Taco

Yuma Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Yuma, Az
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC TRD
    35% tint windows, OEM black running boards, OEM black roof rack, Foglight mod, De-badged & Sockmonkey Horns decals added, Two ammo box storage units (removed), 110 volt & 12 volt outlets for back seat area, EGR Slimline inchannel visors (all windows), Fold-A-Cover G4, Tonneau, Bedmat.
    +1 and I can buy programs here in my own town...;)
    No Mac dealers to speak of here....:eek:

Yuma Taco,

9. Oct 28, 2009 at 4:06 PM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    windows 7 is really good (i'm in IT so i deal with all OSs every day) personally i'm more of a mac person now... and you can run windows on your mac with boot camp. i've custom built many machines and work on dells :smash: pretty much every day and with my experience... I HATE dealing with DRIVERS! so the fact that mac builds the hardware and OS there are no user based drivers to worry about. and i saw there were a couple of posts about Linux- for a personal desktop it sucks... not enough application support and don't say "just use WINE", because it's really buggy and doesn't work for everything! however running Linux for servers- YES! now, back to macs- the one bad thing that i have to say about mac is that their stuff is a little more fragile than some others out there but if you take care of the machine you should be fine.

10. Oct 28, 2009 at 4:12 PM
    TightShirts

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    i'm curious about that link... the web address is from windows7.digitalriver.com? digitalriver.com is a e-commerce company- i'm not sure if i would enter my address.

11. Oct 28, 2009 at 4:42 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    As with any software, you're paying for having a supported product, not for a "product" per se. Just like there are free network event correlation programs, like say SEC, and then there are paid event correlation things like Q1 Labs QRadar. Both products do log event correlation, but one you get lots of support with, the other you don't. You can still pay for a Linux distro to get support, something like SuSE or similar. You're again paying for support so you can get your questions answered. Apple has some of the best support out there, from phone support to 1 on 1 software training in an Apple store. People that are in the demographic that use that support could probably never make it through a Linux install and daily use without buying a similarly priced distro that comes with support.

All of that said, pretty obvious, I'm a mac user, and I dig it. I'm a network consultant, and I run Windows XP in VMWare Fusion, so I have the best of both worlds. With a MBP 2.4 GHz C2D with 4GB of ram it's like having two totally independent computers. You'd never guess it was a VM. I can use any network management tools, VPN clients, etc. inside of Windows if I need to, and I have all of the *nix command line utilities of OS X. It's the best of both worlds. If you're on the fence, I say go Mac, get VMWare Fusion, buy an XP license, and then you've got both!

12. Oct 28, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    this is the reason why I'll never buy a MAC. How would you feel if all aftermarket parts for you truck was propietary... only TRD, man would that suck

13. Oct 28, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    Banchi94

Banchi94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    2008 Indigo Blue TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
    MACs and Tacomas are apples & oranges, but I see your point. Proprietary sucks sometimes, but the non-proprietary also opens up more risks. I agree, if we had to go only TRD, that would totally blow!

Nothing against PCs 'cause I use them at work, and since I'm an engineer, some of my applications only work on PCs. I just like that my MacBook doesn't bomb out as much as my old PC laptop. Both types are great depending on what you do, but it's all based on preference.

14. Oct 28, 2009 at 6:38 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    not just software but hardware too.... also, anything a Mac can do a PC can do too, but not everything a PC can do can a Mac do... unless Steve Jobs says so!

15. Oct 28, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
  16. Oct 28, 2009 at 6:46 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    Go for it! :D

17. Oct 28, 2009 at 7:39 PM
    GodHatesUsAll

GodHatesUsAll Reign in Blood

Member:
    First Name:
    Satan
    Six Feet Under
    Vehicle:
    05' Black Sand Pearl XRunner
    TRD Blower//APR X-1//668cc Primaries & 7th inj//URD 2.8"&NST OD Pulleys//AFE StageII Si CAI//URD Fuel Pump//JBA GenII lT's//URD S/S//URD Lite Flywheel//Competition Clutch StageIII//NST Lite Pulleys//Sittin Sic Front coils/Rear Mono leafs//
    I've had PC's in my family for the past 15+ yrs and have just recently(2yrs) owned an IMAC. The mac is very simple to use compared to the past PC's I've owned(easier for the wife and 3yr old). My buddy bought an IMac for his 2 kids and they have NO problem playing games, Internet browsing and using ITunes for thier IPods. I think kids will pick anything up quickly so changing from a PC to a Mac is no issue for them.

I also own an IPhone, I can make my own ring tones using Garage Band and just drag and drop it right into ITunes. I can do this with ANY song in ITunes.

MAC is SO easy. I also enjoy that I don't get any viruses from music downloads:eek:

18. Oct 28, 2009 at 10:17 PM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    i've bought two copies already and have seen several hundred people on campus use it.

BTW, a guy I study with has a mac. It died on him tonight. The screen went out on it. Pwned.

19. Oct 28, 2009 at 11:33 PM
    TightShirts

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    are you talking about win7 or the digital river page? i'm an ops manager for a department at ASU and i've never heard of digital river... as for win7, i've been using it for like 6 months now- and yes, it's good.

i created an email real quick to test and they seem to be a legit distributor... that was just my first impression since the page doesn't say anything about digital river, so it looked like a fake Microsoft page.

personally i have to get 7 ultimate to be able to do everything i need, but for the price it is still a good deal... and i'd like to take this opportunity to mention that OSX only has one version- so you get everything no matter which mac you have (and if you buy OSX outright it's cheaper than any version of windows too)

ok... and by that i'm pwned how? like a PC has never randomly broken. FYI if it was just the screen he could still boot it in target mode and access all of his files from another mac via Firewire just like an external hard drive. can't do that with any pc that i'm aware of :cool:

20. Oct 28, 2009 at 11:43 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    I purchased Windows 7 and installed it. I was able to to get every program I had on my previous XP to run on Windows 7. So far so good...

Products Discussed in

To Top