1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PCS Problems When Towing

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by jfknudson, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Feb 10, 2021 at 6:44 PM
    jfknudson

jfknudson [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR 4x4
    Method Wheels
    I will let you know if the part swap works in a couple weeks when we go out again. Thanks

2. Feb 13, 2021 at 7:12 PM
    19trdor

19trdor Member

Member:
    Innova engine and Abs reader

dilbert[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Feb 13, 2021 at 11:49 PM
    dilbert

dilbert AI Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRD Off-Road
    Thanks! Just towed my new trailer home from the dealer. No codes on that short trip. Got it home just a couple of hours before the snow started.

FB_IMG_1613197899478.jpg 20210213_142143.jpg

19trdor[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Feb 16, 2021 at 7:13 PM
    Palpatine

Palpatine Member

Member:
    Went to the dealer yesterday for one of my free oil changes. Mentioned the towing causing codes, also let them know of the specific code. Asked if they could just check the related systems. They asked how big my trailer was, told them about 3,500 pounds. When I picked it up they said everything checked out ok and that the system was operating normally. The code was to be expected as I was towing a trailer over 3,000 pounds and not following the manual. I was confused and asked what?? Showed me in the manual where it says,
    "If the gross trailer weight exceeds 3000 lb. (1360 kg), it is recommended to use a trailer with 2 or more axles."
    So, that means the code is normal? Yes. They put that on my paperwork...
    By the way, at no point did I say how many axles I have, what type of hitch, tongue weight etc.
    Just its over 3,000 so it will give codes. Could have argued about it I guess but life is short.
    Just shook my head and left.

5. Feb 16, 2021 at 8:33 PM
    jimmerheck

jimmerheck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Limited in white
    thats what they were hoping for and they succeeded, you gave up too early and got them off the hook.

6. Feb 17, 2021 at 4:35 AM
    Palpatine

Palpatine Member

Member:
  7. Feb 17, 2021 at 5:37 AM
    jfknudson

jfknudson [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR 4x4
    Method Wheels
    Thanks for the update. I will be towing this weekend and will report back if/when it fails. So far Big Two dealership has taken this one on and have begun to swap parts. We will see far how far they are willing to go if it fails again. They have told me the next step will be to bring them the truck and trailer for them to study. If it fails again I will be asking for them to take it back. After 9 visits, I am tired. The 2020 is a problem because you can't clear the code yourself after their software change. Too bad or I would have done that too and walked on as well. By the way, my trailer is 3400 lbs and 2 axels.

Criera likes this.
  8. Feb 20, 2021 at 12:29 PM
    jfknudson

jfknudson [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR 4x4
    Method Wheels
    Well folks, after the crack service techs at toyota diagnosed and the swapped an airbag part on my 2020 Tacoma expecting my PCS and TCS problems to be solved..........they weren't. 5 miles from the house departing with the trailer, it all failed again. I have contacted the dealership to begin the conversation about selling the truck back to them. I do not have the patience or the time to fix their problem.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  9. Feb 28, 2021 at 2:39 PM
    jfknudson

jfknudson [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR 4x4
    Method Wheels
    I took the truck back to the dealer to get the PCS and TCS reset. The dealer has nothing more they can do to fix the problem without Toyota Corporate (TC) Tech help. So far, TC has been unwilling or unable to help. I was given TC's phone # and I have begun the Lemon Buy back process with TC. I will keep you posted with updates when and if any progress is made with giving the truck back to them.

Hayrider and Criera like this.
  10. Feb 28, 2021 at 4:46 PM
    Criera

Criera Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    South Bay SF, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro
    Sorry you gotta go thru this, good luck man.

11. Mar 3, 2021 at 2:45 PM
    AZglassgal

AZglassgal New Member

Member:
    I am having the exact same problem. It's very frustrating! I have a 2019 SR5 V6 with tow and tech package. It does have a 2" level kit and larger rims/tires than when I bought it (275/70/17). The main reason I bought this truck was to tow my travel trailer (3950 dry weight). Finally hooked it up on Friday and within 2 miles, these same errors came on the screen. My truck is currently at Big Two Toyota in Chandler getting the codes reset...$70 later! They are also going to recalibrate (?) it, but said it could happen again when I tow. I really need to figure out how to reset the codes myself. Sounds like it's a major glitch.

My question is...I'm fine with the errors flashing. I just want to make sure I won't be damaging my truck at all while towing with the error codes on? Also, jfknudson, who is your service rep at Big Two?

12. Mar 3, 2021 at 5:57 PM
    jfknudson

jfknudson [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR 4x4
    Method Wheels
    Tony Rhoades is my service rep. He is great to work with and is as frustrated with the problem as we are. The codes on the 2019 should able to be rest using the OBDII scanner as described earlier in this thread. The 2020 can't be reset except at the dealer. I am in conversation with Toyota Corporate about taking my truck back. I will be sure to let them know about this thread and the 3 others with 2019's demonstrating the same problems.

13. Mar 9, 2021 at 9:29 AM
    AZglassgal

AZglassgal New Member

Member:
    Happy to report that my truck successfully towed my camper to the Willow Beach, AZ this weekend! No warning lights came on! I did turn off the PCS and VSC each time I turned the truck on. I am one happy camper. :)

14. Mar 9, 2021 at 10:30 AM
    jfknudson

jfknudson [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR 4x4
    Method Wheels
    Nice. Do you use a Weight Distribution Hitch(WDH)? If so what kind is it, chains or bars?

15. Mar 10, 2021 at 10:52 AM
    AZglassgal

AZglassgal New Member

Member:
    I do have a weight distribution hitch with bars. Works great. So glad the warning lights did not come on while towing this time.

16. Jun 5, 2021 at 12:36 PM
    jfknudson

jfknudson [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR 4x4
    Method Wheels
    Well folks, it has been a while since I posted on the Toyota PCS Fail during towing issue and a lot has happened. To date the truck was returned to the dealership 12 times to have the computer reset after towing. Since my last post I returned the truck and trailer to the dealer for the regional Toyota technician to work with the local dealer to attempt to diagnose the problem. The very short version of the story is that the Toyota Regional Tech said the "The system was working as specified" So when I asked "why does the system continue to fail when turned off during towing" all I got was silence on the other end of the phone until she repeated. "The system was working as specified" Toyota would not buy back my truck nor take any further action to fix it. My dealership was great all thru this so thanks to Tony and all of the folks at Big Two Toyota in Chandler. I have since sold the Tacoma and purchased a new Ram that does not have PCS and twice the tow capacity. A much nicer truck and gets better fuel mileage. I am saying goodbye to the forum but if you have any questions about my experiences with Taco Towing please feel free to Private Message me and I will tell you the rest of the story. Thanks to all!!

17. Nov 5, 2021 at 8:41 AM
    Hawk1

Hawk1 Active Member

Member:
    I have a 2021 purchased 2 months ago new. I'm at 12,000 miles and on a cross country trip. Travel trailer 3500 lbs WD hitch and brake controller. PCS and traction control lights came one like above cruise control became inop. Thanks for the thread. This is pretty disappointing.

18. Nov 25, 2021 at 2:00 PM
    Hawk1

Hawk1 Active Member

Member:
    (2021 DCLB OR) After Toyota Santa Fe reset the codes. I towed the the single axel 3500# camper with WDH to Phoenix then back to Iowa. No codes. This week I towed 200 miles adjusted the hitch to put more weight over the front tires and installed snow tires. The snow tires are mushier. I came down an offramp and I think swayed a little more than normal while braking and the codes popped. I have an appointment t the dealer to clear the codes tomorrow. Is there a device I can buy to reset the codes myself?

MilkDud likes this.
  19. Nov 27, 2021 at 6:19 AM
    Hawk1

Hawk1 Active Member

Member:
    The local dealership reset the codes and found:

"Zero point steering angle sensor malfunction Scan vehicle and found C1290 steering angle sensor malfunction, perform zero point calibration of steering angle sensor and yaw sensor, clear DTC and road test vehicle"

My theory is that the WDH on the trailer with any cross wind or road camber causes the steering wheel to be turned while going straight down the road and in a turn or braking while turning trips the yaw sensor or steering angle sensor. This is heightened in the OR because of the soft suspension.

I plan to change a multiple things to reduce the sway.

1. I already increased the PSI in my winter tires to make them stiffer. It is noticeable.

2. I added rear Sumo Springs (blue) that barely touch the frame un loaded but will when hitched up.

3. Reduce the WDH to bring more weight back to the rear. I think the WDH causes more yaw than a normal ball hitch. If this doesn't work I might forgo the WDH.

4. I might get the KO2 tire possible E rated in the spring. These are much heavier than the Blizzaks or the Wranglers and I think they will reduce sway and yaw.

5. Possibly install sway bars although I don't want to lose too much off road capability.

20. Dec 9, 2021 at 9:21 AM
    charklos

charklos Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    Just out of curiosity, all you guys who've had these codes pop off, what trim are your trucks? Anyone using aftermarket towing setups, or are all OEM? I have a '21 TRD Sport and plan on towing my trailer in a week, and now I have another "please don't happen" scenario to add the the list. Smh.

Thx!

Products Discussed in

To Top