1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pedal Commander: does it work?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Comb, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Nov 25, 2016 at 6:34 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Ewwwww, not a candy cane!!!

2. Nov 25, 2016 at 6:38 PM
    wileydavis

wileydavis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    This isn't about a performance gain. It's about changing the feel of the pedal to suit driver preference. Of course it's not going to make your truck faster. But it does, in m opinion, make driving the manual a better experience, smoother up shifts and better control over the friction point. This is subjective. It's no different than changing out a seat, or relocating the rearview mirror or different drivers preferring softer or firmer suspension setups.

And though I haven't pulled mine apart yet, I'd be willing to bet it's not just an amplifier but a micro controller that can be programmed to map inputs to outputs in whatever way the designer of the device wants. These are so cheap nowadays that there's not much reason to do it any other way. This matters because a simple amp would indeed be no different than just pressing the pedal further. But a programmed map can introduce jumps in the signal that could cause interesting effects with the ecu. Buried in the comments of the article mush mouse linked to is a remark by a control systems engineer that mentioned what I was referring to earlier in this thread that tweaking the rate of change for the accelerator pedal signal can indeed have an effect on the ecu. For instance, what happens when the ecu sees the signal jump? Does it apply the same throttle map or does it attempt to catch up by instantly opening the throttle? I'm not saying this is how the ecu responds because I don't know, but I am saying that all these arguments that state the only thing these devices could even theoretically do is replicate pushing the pedal further are fundamentally incorrect.

3. Nov 25, 2016 at 7:16 PM
    zerospeed

zerospeed Well-Known Member

Member:
  4. Nov 25, 2016 at 7:17 PM
    wileydavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    You're not wrong. There's always in inherent risk when modifying critical systems. This goes for electronic as well as mechanical systems like suspensions. Ive got about 1300 miles on mine so far without issue.

shakerhood likes this.
  5. Nov 25, 2016 at 8:02 PM
    zerospeed

Member:
    much better response. but why do you keep sending data and such for the sprint booster? in concept the sb and pc must operate in a similar way. however there are/must be differences (small or large).

why don't you purchase one and try it? if you do not feel it is your cup of tea, send it back.

Sprint Booster post (post takes a similar spin)
    http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29503

6. Nov 26, 2016 at 1:39 AM
    AFMurse2014

AFMurse2014 Death Can Wait

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Double Cab TRD OFF ROAD 6 Speed MANUAL
    Freedom, American flags and ISIS blood Morimoto 35w 5500k HID/ LED highs from TRS. RCI expo rack Core Short throw shifter, hypertech speedo recalibrator. Rear seat molle panel. OVT. PnP 2LM. C4 Hybrid Bumper w/ amber BD squadron pods. 33 pizza cutters. T9 radio

There is a pretty good presence of aftermarket parts. Most racks and all chassis parts are the same as before. Bumpers are pouring out, lifts, long travels, mid travels etc are all the same. Interior accessories are trickling in...

That's so much more than my Ranger had, torsion bar fronts don't have many options.

The population is also way larger, opening a lot more avenues for overlanding trips, groups, clubs, and meets.

I do so much more than bedpans my friend. I am a telemetry and postoperative nurse, as well as the ultrasound intravenous peripheral inserted catheter, and will be getting my trauma nurse certificate here soon, on top of the advanced cardiac, both adult and peds.

But yes, I will gladly bring them with me, perhaps the field hospital in Afghanistan will have a ton in store for me when I arrive...

It's cool, I understand, not everyone can say their jobs have a huge significant impact on life ;)

7. Nov 26, 2016 at 1:45 AM
    AFMurse2014

AFMurse2014 Death Can Wait

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Double Cab TRD OFF ROAD 6 Speed MANUAL
    Freedom, American flags and ISIS blood Morimoto 35w 5500k HID/ LED highs from TRS. RCI expo rack Core Short throw shifter, hypertech speedo recalibrator. Rear seat molle panel. OVT. PnP 2LM. C4 Hybrid Bumper w/ amber BD squadron pods. 33 pizza cutters. T9 radio
    Everyone has their limit lol

8. Nov 26, 2016 at 7:15 AM
    wileydavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    I'm gone through three tanks of fuel with the pc on sport mode and I've gotten the same mpg with each tank as I got before the install, 18-19mpg.

shakerhood likes this.
  9. Nov 26, 2016 at 7:24 AM
    zerospeed

Member:
    ok...but i did not purchase for performance, paid the money for the change in "feel". so is your truck stock?

at 50 now...i am done here.

10. Nov 26, 2016 at 5:21 PM
    chasepark

chasepark Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Vehicle:
    2016 4X4 v6 TRD Sport
    Even if ECO mode boosted my MPG by 20, I still wouldn't use it. I think the only time I'll ever possibly use it is when the roads are covered in black ice from it snowing so bad. As for the other modes MPG, I haven't really seen an increase yet, but I'll post an update on it when I fill it up again and my average MPG resets. Driving around base is a constant stop and go anyway so my MPG is always low as it is (15 or 16 if I'm lucky). Have the others who used it and use city seen an increase in MPG?

11. Nov 28, 2016 at 6:10 AM
    BallsDeep09

BallsDeep09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCSB TRDOR 6 spd.
    I drove without it connected this weekend and actually preferred it. With the PC connected the throttle is soo sensitive and very jumpy and I found everything was much smoother when stock. Thank you Larry for the discount and the opportunity to try the product. It does work to a certain extent, it's just not for me.

Mush Mouse likes this.
  12. Dec 22, 2016 at 6:52 AM
    Profounddiver

Profounddiver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Miami
    Vehicle:
    2020 White TRD PRO
    Bakflip F1, K&N Air intake, Meso Puddle lights, Meso Interior lights, spiker struts, Cali Raised Molle Bed system
    I just got mine yesterday and I just finished installing it here at the fire station. I do a lot of highway driving so I will let you know how it affects my MPGs. I have an 08 Tacoma crew cab. Thank you guys for all the info.

13. Dec 22, 2016 at 7:34 AM
    maypearl

maypearl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Maypearl, TX
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco DCSB 4X4, 16 Canyon Diesel 4X4 SLT
    I can't imagine installing something that in a vehicle. There is no way Pedal Commander has done anywhere close to the research that Toyota motor corp does on their vehicle, and the way the pedal responds. Anyone remember the Toyota "unintended acceleration"? I'm all for a some aftermarket parts, but there is no way I'd trust any aftermarket company to tap into and adjust my pedal response. You wreck your truck because of it, and they will disappear leaving you holding the bag and lawsuit.

Mush Mouse likes this.
  14. Dec 22, 2016 at 11:33 AM
    chasepark

chasepark Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Vehicle:
    2016 4X4 v6 TRD Sport
    Don't know too much about how the transmission works, but it seems like the truck is slowly going back to its old self even with the pedal commander installed

15. Dec 22, 2016 at 11:41 AM
    boynoyce

boynoyce .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16SR5AC4X4V6QS
    I agree- the drivetrain us nothing if not extremely complicated.
    Tweaking one thing must lead to other unintended consequences.

Mush Mouse likes this.
  16. Dec 22, 2016 at 7:09 PM
    GPsevinSixx

GPsevinSixx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ros Angerus
    Vehicle:
    2015twoAX2.4techPAWS
    6112/5160AALfnCNTSTRyokG015
    The factory ECU is smarter than the external gadget and has relearned your driving habits to optimize drivability.
    Been watching this thread for awhile. I'm curious if you'd be willing to yank the unit and see how the truck behaves for a few weeks? Just a test to see how it reacts without the aftermarket alteration.

You should get your definitive answer on whether this magic black box does what it advertises in the long term.

Mush Mouse likes this.
  17. Dec 22, 2016 at 8:19 PM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    This is the Crawford Ecoblock all over again. Literally the same marketing strategy used. There's a 14 day money-back guarantee because it takes longer than that to realize that claimed 4mpg increases are ridiculous.

Just like that thread, @LSartore is not likely to post here again since that marketing window has passed.

bobsuruncle and Mush Mouse like this.
  18. Jan 17, 2017 at 6:20 PM
    wileydavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    So I have about 10,000 miles on my new Tacoma now, including lots of snow and ice and lots of Baja dirt roads and just to see I turned the PC off yesterday to see how the stock feeling faired against the sport mode, which is what I have left the PC in for the last 7500 miles give or take. And... I immediately hated the result. At least for the 2.7 with the 5-speed I think the PC in sport mode is still way better than the stock pedal feel. Maybe it's because I have big feet and inflexible ankles but I really like not having to move my foot much to keep the truck from stalling when starting from a stop. Again, I'm not affiliated with PC in any way, but i love the thing. And at least for the 4-cyl manual, the truck does not seem to have adapted to the PC. Turning it off had an immediate and negative effect on the pedal feel. Even though the pedal resolution is diminished, I personally feel like it gives me more control because I can get most of the range by just moving my ankle, whereas with the stock pedal I have to move my whole foot, lifting my heel, and have less control that way. I realize this is a personal physiological issue and for many the PC might be a waste of money but for me it makes the truck more enjoyable to drive. I have a note to remind me to remove it before the upcoming 10k service, though ;)

sakibomb and GPsevinSixx like this.
  19. Jan 19, 2017 at 4:32 PM
    LSartore

LSartore Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD PRO
    Brett please tell me what the Crawford Ecoblock is ????

let me clear up our gas milage as thats what your having a issue with...... I am not selling magic .... nor snake oil... its a pretty easy concept to understand how the device works and how you can squeeze extra MPG out of a vehicle.

I cannot give you better response and gas milage at the same time... like i said I am magical or a wizard.... you gotta give one to get one.... Remember the old Fast, Cheap Or Reliable.... CHOOSE 2 because you want fast and cheap it aint reliable ... you want fast and reliable it aint cheap.... get it ????

So you want better gas milage you put our device on eco mode... that slows down throttle body and opens flap slower make throttle response a tad slower and limits how much out put the sensor is giving except in WOT situations..

no its the opposite if you are in City, Sport or Sport + but to say I am giving better response and gas milage on the same claim is silly....

20. Jan 19, 2017 at 4:51 PM
    GPsevinSixx

GPsevinSixx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ros Angerus
    Vehicle:
    2015twoAX2.4techPAWS
    6112/5160AALfnCNTSTRyokG015
    "SYNTAX ERROR.....SYNTAX ERROR.....SYNTAX ERROR...."
    Man it's hard to read your posts. Great way to represent the brand and your product!
    I hope you're not the one doing the coding and programming on "your" modules....

Now, remember this?

Products Discussed in

To Top