1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pedal recall...what are effects of the override system?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Veccster, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Oct 11, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    I just dont think Toyota is going to replace ECU which costs around $1000 on average for 500 000 trucks so maybe 5000 people can have their supercharger installed.
    They can also wiggle out of replacing ECU even if you insist on it. Warranty or not.
    In Addition, Problem is nobody knows what else could be wrong.
    Now I do agree that Toyota at some point may figure out software so maybe in a year when you go for recall you will get good software. But that will only work if you avoid dealership until then.:D

2. Oct 11, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Why wouldn't they just fix the trucks that want to install the supercharger ?

3. Oct 11, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    MC1983

MC1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB
    Thanks for the response. Maybe when I go in, I will make sure they write it in the notes of my account that I am planning to get the SC in the future and am concerned that the SC flash may not be compatible. So if I do chose to install it down the road, it will be noted in the account and the dealership can take care of it.

4. Oct 11, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    If Toyota do that, that will be awesome, I just dont have enough faith that this will happen. :)
    I would much rather just wait until they fix their recall code and get ECU flashed then.
    However, whole thing will make harder to purchase used trucks. I don't think there is a way to find out which truck got flashed or not with out connecting to TIS

5. Oct 14, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    MC1983

MC1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB
    So I took my truck in for an oil change and didn't say anything about the recall. When I picked it up after work, they told me they cut the pedal but their system was down so they could not flash the ECU. I told them they were not authorized to hack my pedal so I will be making a call to the service manager tomorrow morning to complain and request a pedal that isn't hacked. It looks like they just took a hacksaw to my pedal and didn't even bother to sand the edges or smoothen the ends.

I will make sure they know I am interested in the SC sometime in the future so if any ECU problems come up then, they can have it in their system.

6. Oct 14, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chances are good that the problem with the supercharger firmware update failure is that the VERSION NUMBER of the s/c update is lower than the version number of the recall update.

Dealer systems are typically not able to revert to an earlier software program. You can update to a new program that supersedes the old, but you can't "update" to an older version than what is currently installed.

7. Oct 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM
    Roco Taco

Roco Taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    MD
    Vehicle:
    Roco Taco
    I am a tech at russel toyota in baltomore. Is this where you went? I do all the assecories, installations and aftermarket stuff there. I already know what to do if you plan to add a supercharger. The fix is just a phone call away and I can have the proper calibration emailed to me from toyota. I am very sorry about your pedal. there are a lot of techs that dont care what your pedal looks like and it pisses me off every time i see a porely modified pedal. If you want it fixed I can do it. If you need any work done to your truck and want an experienced reliable tech to do it, just stop by russel and I can take care of you. My name is Bobby Schulz and I work at the used car building just down the street from the new car building. You can stop there or just go to the new shop and they will get a hold of me.

8. Oct 14, 2010 at 11:08 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

If you could expand on your supercharger calibration statement , there are many on here that would be interested .

9. Oct 14, 2010 at 11:14 PM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    yea just don't go snapping my truck in half. :D

10. Oct 18, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    Roco Taco

Roco Taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    MD
    Vehicle:
    Roco Taco
    ok kinda hard to explain. Every calibration that we flash into an ecu has a calibration id number. its like 10 digits long so lets say for example calibration id# before the recall without the supercharger is #3, id after the recall is #4 and supercharger is id #7. If you wanted to flash the ecu to #4 to do the recall, the computer that we use to do the ecu flash would first check to see if the current id is #3. Same if you were going to #7. This keeps you from flashing a calibration into the wrong car. Example tacoma calibration into a camry. If you have id#4 and were trying to go to #7, the computer would not recognize the current id so it wont let you do the reflash. The reason for this is that the installation instructions online that we download to do the ecu reflash is older than the recall so it does not know #4. 99.9% of the people at toyota dealerships will say that it cant be done because the new ecu flash file is not in the system. I know how to get this file so it can be programed. It is out there. The reason toyota has not published it yet is because first TRD stuff is always the last thing to be updated and second, they are probably working on a new calibration for supercharged models with the pedal override system.

Dont worry Mike i wont break your truck in half. There are plenty up here in MD for me to break!;)

11. Oct 18, 2010 at 9:09 PM
    wtbthree

wtbthree Give 'er

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    SC'ed 2010 DC
    3" Revtek lift, 17" FJ rims, 285 BFG KO's, sunroof, TRD piping, Wickedflow muffler, Avid step rails TRD supercharger,
    FOR THE RECORD.....

I have an SC in my truck, (since April) and had the pedal cut down several weeks ago.
    So...does this mean I never got the ECU reflash (for the pedal problem)? My dealer said it would be done with the cut down, and it showed up on my invoice as such. SC is running fine

12. Oct 18, 2010 at 9:29 PM
    Roco Taco

Roco Taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    MD
    Vehicle:
    Roco Taco
    correct your truck wasnt reflashed because there is nothing to flash it to. The tech who did the job probably never said anything because he was afraid he would not get paid for the reflash. We get paid flat rate so the quicker we get the job done, the more money we make. He did not have to wait for the ecu to program. Its not something I would really worry about. Most people are smart enough to put the trans into neutral or turn the key off if the pedal sticks wide open. Also if the pedal does stick, it is going to stick in the position where it sits most of the time so unless you drive all day and night, it will stick in the fully released position. In the whole central atlantic area, I believe toyota has only found one pedal that actually sticks. The main problem is with floormat interference which can happen on any car, not just toyota so check your floormat and you will be fine.

13. Oct 19, 2010 at 6:10 AM
    Veccster

Veccster [OP] bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I had no idea the pedal actually "sticks"...I thought it just got STUCK when pressed against the floormat. So cutting down a pedal would not prevent a "sticking" pedal...only a "stuck" pedal. I guess that's the point of the reflash and override system.

My parents have an Audi A4 and it has the override system on it. It cannot be prevented from rolling backward on a hill. You have to time your switch between brake to gas to stop from rolling. He hates it.

I realize this states its only at 5mph but I'm still skeptical. So far, I have decided against it. But man does my dealer really hound me about it.

14. Oct 19, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    cinch

cinch Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner double cab
    I had it done two months ago and I haven't had a problem with the low speed shifting since then. I am very pleased with the results. Not only that. my cruise control seems to work a lot smoother but maybe that's my imagination.

Products Discussed in

To Top