1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Peeling dash

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tomwopat, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    tomwopat

tomwopat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Prerunner
    Sorry to hear about the additional peeling dashes. The dealer has taken care of all my concerns/issues regarding the dash but I'm still worried about it happening again. Let me know ya'lls outcome.

2. Jun 7, 2012 at 5:48 AM
    sdoheny

sdoheny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Sport
    N-Fab Text black 3 main tube, led interior lighting, sylvania ultra head lamps, led map/dome/license plate, rail mounted bed lights, trd skid plate, Aero Turbin muffler swap, MRBP Black Exhaust Tip, weather tech, fuel trophy, duratrac 265 70 17, plasti dip badges, Icon stage 4 suspension, TRD shift knob, AFE CAI, Raptor Light MOD.
    Got my truck back, looks brand new. Dealer got it done in one days time, which was awesome. Neglected to call me and notify me it was done however and had to call them because my rental was due back that night and when I did the customer service rep and service manager had both left for the night. Raised some hell about their poor customer service. I also had them put on the factory door sill protectors and ended up not paying for them because of all the confusion! Should of had them put on a TRD CAI, supercharger, and exhaust if i knew i was getting some free parts.

3. Jun 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM
    selrod

selrod Active Member

Member:
    Gilbert AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's w OME 885x's, Headstrong 3 AAL, 16x8 -25 offset FN 5s
    I just found out my wife's 2012 dash peeling in the same area as well. I hope this doesn't happen again after it is fixed because if the mild SoCal weather could do this, I would hate to see what moving back to Arizona has in store for her rig.

4. Jun 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM
    tomwopat

Member:
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Prerunner
    I'm looking forward to seeing how it holds up to the southern heat. I'll be taking it back ASAP at any sign of flaking. I just hope that Toyota figures out their F up and fixes it. If I wanted cheap shit I would've bought another Chevy...

5. Jul 12, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    mikecheech218

mikecheech218 New Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I noticed my dash was peeling/bubbling and cracking last friday when the temperatures were reaching 100 degrees. It happens on the dash where the defrost vents come out ( in that little valley before the windshield). Mine is hard to noticed but is chipping across the whole things from driver side to passenger side.

So I called the dealership where I bought my tacoma only 5 months ago and they gave me to service who then had me hold so they could give me to someone else who was busy. They took down my name and number and said they would call back. I never received a call back, which actually mad me mroe mad than the dashboard chipping. Anyway I tried again today and they were much better and told me to stop in anytime to look at it. The service rep who looked at it said he'd never seen anything like that around here but that it was just the coating bubbling and chipping. They immediately said they would order a new dash and would call me when it arrived to schedule a day to put it in. I asked if they would give me another vehicle for the day, which they said yes too.

So not done yet, but so far it seems like toyota is doing the right thing and not going with a quick fix. Hopefully it was just a bad batch of paint coating and it will not be a reoccurring issue.

6. Jul 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    tomwopat

Member:
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Prerunner
    Did you use any cleaner or protectant?

7. Jul 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    jcaledun

jcaledun Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma TRD OffRoad
    I hope the Memphis heat doesn't get mine...

8. Jul 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    Question: ... What is the best stuff to clean & treat the dash. .... I never clean it in the sun or when it is hot either.

9. Jul 13, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    mikecheech218

mikecheech218 New Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I used armor all once but hardly any at all. I've since stopped using it over the last few months since I've heard how bad it is actually. Either way it was a minimal amount on sprayed onto a rag so its hard to believe that would cause it and cause it within 5 months of purchase.

The dealership never questioned if I used anything on it. He seemed to think the issue was more likely a bad batch of coating from the factory.

10. Jul 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    selrod

selrod Active Member

Member:
    Gilbert AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's w OME 885x's, Headstrong 3 AAL, 16x8 -25 offset FN 5s
    I'm hoping it was just a bad batch too. The dealership called me when the new dash came in, and even gave me a loaner car (don't know how a corolla is equivalent to a tacoma, but what ever) and they got it done the same day. I've moved out to Arizona since the dash replacement, and so far in the 111 + heat, it has held up.

11. Sep 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    r6hokie

r6hokie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    tint, fog light anytime mod, weathertech visors
    I had my dash replaced under warranty, they cut my tint strip across the top of my windshield when they did it though I guess when they took off the side pillars......so now I get to go get that fixed

12. Apr 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    Spruced UP

Spruced UP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB PreRunner TRD Sport, Spruce Mica
    Snapped this picture the other day. I thought the shiny was some coffee i might have splashed onto the dash, so I scraped it with my fingernail. NOPE. It's the dashboard coating that is flaking off. 2013. Prob should let the dealer see this, huh?

[​IMG]

13. Apr 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Definitely. Let them fix it.

14. Apr 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM
    graywolf2011

graywolf2011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma 4X4
    undercover hard toneau, stainless steel nfab step bars
    These dashes are "painted" with a plastic fusion paint, which chemically bonds or "melts" into plastic, to match interior color. This same method is used on all hard plastic interior components. I would not recommend using any "protectant" as you are putting those chemicals on paint, not plastic. Just a thought.

15. Apr 6, 2013 at 6:16 AM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    Wipe it down with a cotton or microfiber towel that's dampened with a little water to catch the dust and call it a day. I've never understood why people feel the need to slather chemicals all over the interior of the car...

16. Aug 24, 2013 at 11:14 PM
    Brandy

Brandy Member

Member:
    Saint John
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    my 2011 tacoma dash was peeling an the dealer just put a new dash in under warranty

17. Aug 25, 2013 at 3:49 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Did the service ticket list the number of hours that were charged to replace the dash? Just curious about the dealer time.

18. Aug 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    Brandy

Brandy Member

Member:
    Saint John
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    I will check the hours for you an let you know. I waited for it an it was about 4 hours

19. Nov 20, 2013 at 3:15 PM
    Bustotaco

Bustotaco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma dbl cab off road
    None
    My dash started chipping paint. 2014 with just 600 miles on it. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the dash... When I got it back I noticed some of the same white spots in the same areas. My guess it that they lied about replacing the dash and just touched up the spots. I am pretty sure the spots are in the same place and it is touch up paint coming off. They are looking into it and said that they will get back to me when they talk to Toyota about it. Should I let them fix the problem or sould I take it to another dealer? I though about asking to see the dashboard that they took out, but I thought that may not go over well. You can just rub your finger nail on the dash and paint will come off..I can't believe how cheap that is. I had a 2007 FJ and and the build quality was supurb. This Tacoma interior fit and finish is the worst I have seen in a new car.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  20. Nov 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM
    Brandy

Brandy Member

Member:
    Saint John
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    wow that is awful . the first dealer I took my truck to refused to fix it. so i drove 2 hours to another dealer. An they replaced it no problem , I insisted to see the dash when it was out , before they put the new one in. I wanted to make sure the colour match was right and compared the two side by side . they had no problem with that, the service from this dealer was awesome.they did a good job. the money you pay they should have no problem with wanting to see the new one. and i agree its cheap stuff they make the interior with. i just hope it dont happen again. good luck with your truck

Products Discussed in

To Top