1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pelfreybilt ::: Front & Rear Bumper Options ::: 2nd Gen (05-15)

Discussion in 'Pelfreybilt Off-Road' started by Pelfreybilt, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 7, 2017 at 11:08 AM
    DougsGraphics

DougsGraphics Duck Hunter!

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Northern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2015 Pyrite Mica DCSB TRD OR
    3" Revtech Level, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar front bumper with WARN 9.5XP Winch and KC Pro-Sport LED Driving Lights, black Diamond Back HD tonneau cover, 4 cameras through Entunes display with capacity for two more, LED interior lights with map lights tied to dome, Bussman auxiliary fuse/relay box with 100 amp breaker/disconnect under hood.
    Given that my 2015 has the towing package, I took advantage of the trailer wiring harness being right there and having a 10 Amp backup light capacity. Tapping into the ground and backup leads inside the harness made the job extremely simple and the lights are then on whenever you put the transmission in reverse. Since the pair of BD lights are only 1.8 A, I can't see really needing them unless I am backing up, and since I don't have a trailer with reverse lights, this seemed a simple solution.

Drainbung, climbhigher23 and MotoEd like this.
  2. Aug 7, 2017 at 11:37 AM
    Ulysiss

Ulysiss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ulysiss
    La Puente, SGV
    Vehicle:
    2013 Long Bed, PreRunner, TRD Sport
    Pictures or it didn't happen

3. Aug 7, 2017 at 2:02 PM
    The Boat Oar

The Boat Oar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Blacked Out TRD Off-Road
    Thanks for your response. I installed them to a switch in the cab yesterday with the help of a buddy. Hardest part was figuring out where to run the wire to the engine and I had to put the switch in the center of the dash since my truck doesn't have any blanks on the left side. They are so bright I didn't want them coming on every time I put it in reverse and potentially blinding people behind me. One downside is they stay on if I turn my truck off

4. Aug 7, 2017 at 7:46 PM
    DougsGraphics

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Northern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    3" Revtech Level, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar front bumper with WARN 9.5XP Winch and KC Pro-Sport LED Driving Lights, black Diamond Back HD tonneau cover, 4 cameras through Entunes display with capacity for two more, LED interior lights with map lights tied to dome, Bussman auxiliary fuse/relay box with 100 amp breaker/disconnect under hood.
    Ok, when I get some time (and it isn't raining) I will shoot a few pictures.

5. Aug 7, 2017 at 7:53 PM
    DougsGraphics

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Northern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    I have a low voltage disconnect installed in the line from my battery to my auxiliary fuse panel. It only took once coming back from a trip to find the battery was dead because I left something turned on to convince me to install it.

MotoEd likes this.
  6. Aug 9, 2017 at 9:58 PM
    duvinclunk

duvinclunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Davin
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB|OR|QS
    @Pelfreybilt

Any other lights that could fit in the spot for the rear lights other than BajaDesings? I've seen people with Rigids in and can't justify a $350 reverse light...

7. Aug 10, 2017 at 6:36 PM
    DougsGraphics

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Northern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Here you go. These are after the fact, but show the result.
    The Baja Design's S2 Pro wide-cornering flush mount lights come with installed metripack connectors and the needed parts to assemble the mating fittings on your supply wire. You will need a crimper.
    First find the harness connector under the truck to the left of the trailer hitch. It comes apart by squeezing the small black tabs on either side of the black protrusion on the female side which will release the white locking cover. Figuring out how to disconnect this fitting probably took me longer than any other part of this install!
    IMG_20170809_173706792.jpg
    The reverse light power is carried through the yellow wire with silver trace on my 2015. The larger white wire is the ground. If you need to verify, the connectors are all labeled inside the other end of the harness so it is easy to ring them out.
    IMG_20170809_173500404.jpg I opened the wire comb and several inches back from the end I carefully stripped about .5 inch of each wire to allow me to make strong solder connections to my lead wires for the new lights. Once connected, just tape it all up real well, put it back inside the comb, and then tape that closed and seal the end.
    IMG_20170809_173639874.jpg I chose to make the parallel connection between the two lights inside the metripack connection to the closest lamp by soldering the wire ends together before making the crimp connection. To do this, I used a larger wire seal than the ones supplied, but I found the connectors big enough to make a solid crimp over the soldered connection.
    I stuffed the wire between the two light connectors into wire comb and taped it closed for good protection.
    Connect all the fittings and tuck it up out of the way and secure as necessary with zip ties.
    I highly recommend these lights. They are solidly built and they are bright, and the Pelfreybilt cutouts are a precision fit. With this installation, they come on in reverse, and are protected by the 10 Amp trailer reverse light fuse under the dash.IMG_20170809_173813481.jpg

agunday21, Toynado, Byb127 and 3 others like this.
  8. Sep 25, 2017 at 6:39 AM
    rollin904

rollin904 Feather Slinger

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Got my bumper installed last night. I think I can adjust it a bit more to get it closer to the tail lights and tailgate, or at least im going to try.

20170925_091318.jpg

For the flip plate, I oriented it so it would flip up and it has tension when lifting. Here's how it looks

15063466335001647768735.jpg

Is there a way to lock it in the upright position? Or do I just lift, slide in my receiver, then let the tension push it back down? Kinda funny that the hardest part of this whole install was the damn license plate haha

Toynado likes this.
  9. Sep 29, 2017 at 7:22 PM
    Sociopenguin

Sociopenguin 2 Fang Engineering

Member:
    First Name:
    Tate
    NW MO
    Vehicle:
    DevilPenguin
    Schtuff
    Evening....any estimate on when to expect a 3rd gen standard rear bumper with a swingout???
    Didn't see any options on the site......
    Thanx in advance for your time.....

10. Oct 10, 2017 at 12:25 AM
    TheBlueBeast15

TheBlueBeast15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Metallic TRD Off Road double cab short bed
    Sick looking bumper man. It looks good on your truck. Does that license plate flip up holder come with the bumper or did you order it separate?

11. Oct 10, 2017 at 6:54 AM
    rollin904

rollin904 Feather Slinger

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Thanks man! It came with the bumper, haven't had a chance to tow with it since installing it. My only concern is that the plate might come really close to the ball of the hitch, in which case I might figure out another mounting option

12. Oct 10, 2017 at 7:52 AM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
  13. Oct 11, 2017 at 1:43 PM
    TheBlueBeast15

TheBlueBeast15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Metallic TRD Off Road double cab short bed
    Thank so for the info guys. Really appreciate it

14. Oct 11, 2017 at 1:43 PM
    Pelfreybilt

Pelfreybilt [OP] Pelfreybilt Off-Road, Inc.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pelfreybilt
    El Cajon, California
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    ~ Pelfreybilt aluminum 4runner front bumper and Rocksliders coated by Line-X San Diego ~ Baja Designs- LED Lighting Grill with LED lightbar & 40" roof rack lightbar ~ Rigid Industries rock lights ~ Front Runner Outfitters roof rack, fridge slide & bottle opener ~ CVT Rooftop Tent & Awning ~ Goose Gear storage drawers ~ Katzkin Leather seat covers ~ Switch-Pro control kit ~ Factor 55 Flatlink ~ WARN VR8000-S Winch ~ Fuel Offroad Trophy Wheels ~ Goodyear Kevlar Tires ~ ICON Vehicle Dynamics Stage 5 kit. Appx 2.5" lift ~ ARB lockers, skid plates & 50qt Fridge ~ JL Audio custom stereo system
    We are still developing the rear with swing out. The 3rd Gen Tacoma creates a very interesting problem with the bubbled tailgate which we are working on so our gate does not stick out as far as other bumpers we have seen. We are also in development of a latch system we can use for the dual swing out system as all after market latches have been inconsistent and unreliable so we are going to design our own.

15. Oct 11, 2017 at 1:45 PM
    Sociopenguin

Sociopenguin 2 Fang Engineering

Member:
    First Name:
    Tate
    NW MO
    Vehicle:
    DevilPenguin
    Schtuff
    Thanx for the reply. Hoping to maybe team one with an Aluminum front when you get them designed.....

16. Oct 11, 2017 at 1:49 PM
    fatfurious2

fatfurious2 IG: great_white_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access Cab
    still love my Hybrid bumper! Thanks Satin and Tyler!

[​IMG]

17. Oct 11, 2017 at 1:59 PM
    duvinclunk

duvinclunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Davin
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB|OR|QS
    Yessssss. I'd be down for a second gen dual swing out HC if it becomes available.

18. Oct 14, 2017 at 7:21 PM
    CharlieCafe

CharlieCafe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wherever the wind blows
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad 4x4 - MGM
    Plethora of "useless" shit
    Excellent, I've been waiting for this. My 2nd gen is in need of more Pelfreybilt to wrap up the rear :thumbsup:
    Of course I may cave anyway if a new good sale comes up on the existing model :drevil:

andlours likes this.
  19. Oct 15, 2017 at 7:42 AM
    andlours

andlours Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad
    I saw your truck the other day at king soopers and left the lame note on the windshield. How have you like your pelfreybilt standard rear bumper so far? I've got the option to get a used one for 700 and am not sure if I should jump on it or not.

CharlieCafe[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Oct 15, 2017 at 8:42 AM
    CharlieCafe

CharlieCafe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wherever the wind blows
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad 4x4 - MGM
    Plethora of "useless" shit
    Hey Andy! My rear is an Allpro, which actually has poor lines where is matches the body on the sides. It's a known thing that they have never corrected and has even transfered over to their standard rear swingout based on pics I've seen. Other than that I had no issues when installing, oh and the AP does not use the factory license plate light, they send some ok replacements though. If I were to get another standard rear I would probably go Pelfreybilt as their lines are a bit better and I believe they re-use the factory lights. Besides that, everything I have ever bought from them has been great quality that's why I've been planning to pickup their HC when I replace the AP. Bummer I don't live down there anymore so I can pick it up and save on shipping...and hope there's no powdercoat damage if I go with powdercoat, that's the only painful parts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top