1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pelfreybilt Rear Hi-Clearance

Discussion in 'Vendor Reviews' started by HolyReptar, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Jan 29, 2014 at 9:21 AM
    HolyReptar

HolyReptar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bry
    Thousand Oaks
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Some Bolt ones here and there
    This product made me realize just how great Tyler is to work with. He made everything exactly to the spec I wanted on the swing arm; dual nato fuel cans,
    spare tire, & a hi-lift mounted along the bottom. Its built stoutly, welds are great. Lots of research went into this product. It differs from the photos Tyler has on his site because he switched from rounded tubing to squared tubing for strength and ease of welding I believe. On the hidden hitch Tyler welded on brackets to be able to attach a chain easily which is great. The mounting points sort of matched with the truck which I understand as most bumpers require alignment just like factory ones. The latch and the swing arm canister/bearing are beyond sturdy. The latch that holds the swing arm open caused some issues for me. Both Tyler and I think that he got a bad batch from the manufacturer of that part since he hasn't had any issues with it with any of his other clients and after sending me a stainless steel one I haven't had anymore issues. I went through 2 of them before we made the change. Great thing about this issue is Tyler had a new one out for me the next day and then immediately after he got the stainless steel one in stock.

*PROS*
    - stout
    - built well
    - Tyler will work with you on any accessories for the bumper
    - sturdy latch and swing arm bearing
    - Tyler can put any back up lights you want
    - Great hidden hitch

*CONS*
    - I wish I wouldn't have powder coated it and painted it myself. The latch has knocked some of the powder coat off and it rusts where the swing arm is attached. Easy maintenance but not a fan of the fact I have to paint where it was coated.

No significant cons regarding the design or issues. If you want to powder coat it go for I would just figure something out to place inside where the swing arm attaches and is latched in.

I can't say anything about the installation because I was lucky enough to have Tyler install the bumper personally. He is a perfectionist and it shows both in his products and in his installation. Tyler even included come foam padding for the gas can mounts so that they don't move or rattle while on the trail.

-Some tips when ordering-
    1. Call Tyler or Satin, they will work with you on the design you want.
    2. Go with the recessed rigids, trust me. If I ever get around to it I will fill the holes for the lights I have and put rigids in because the ones I have installed suck.
    3. Don't be scared of the first cut, it'll be worth it once the bumper is installed.

2. Jan 29, 2014 at 9:24 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Pics???

3. Jan 29, 2014 at 10:25 AM
    HolyReptar

HolyReptar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bry
    Thousand Oaks
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Some Bolt ones here and there
    7917CF41-B89D-482A-AA22-201E72B6CA1C-849_5a29901868af19278d35c7a1a70a57ac1edf62d3.jpg

IMG_8174_zps28741f9c_f913a25683002143ed5bc686812bb185bb7df4bf.jpg

4. Jan 30, 2014 at 3:39 PM
    Pdugan6

Pdugan6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Sunnyvale California
    Vehicle:
    3 link solid axle 2011 Tacoma 4x4
    Lol don't be scared of the first cut. Especially when someone else does it for you ;) sweet product though.

5. Jan 31, 2014 at 6:52 AM
    machineman89

machineman89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    San Leandro
    Vehicle:
    overlanding limo in progress :-P
    Weather tech floor mats, fog light any time mod, derped front embelem, Pelfretbilt 3 hoop plate bumper, 10k warn xeon winch-s some leds, pelfreybilt roof rack, scs stealth series rims, wrangler authority tires, BAMF 96" bolt on sliders, BAMF dif skid, some dirt....
    Ughh... some day I will get to this point.....someday...

To Top