1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Penn State Said to Be Planning Paterno's Exit

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Joben7726, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 9, 2011 at 12:40 PM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
  2. Nov 9, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    um...yea....OK. Are you trying to get me to trash him more? I was being respectful today, but if you want I can easily change that.

3. Nov 9, 2011 at 1:02 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    All the good he did was wiped out the minute another kid got molested after he found out what was going on and chose not to do anything about it. I hope he rots in hell with the other scumbags.

4. Nov 9, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    What did everyone expect him to do? It's easy to second guess someone without being in their shoes.

5. Nov 9, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 [OP] wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    Na dood. Just messing with you.

6. Nov 9, 2011 at 3:23 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I would of expected him to follow up on the incident. JP's own son said he NEVER spoke to Sandusky about it and Sandusky was his right hand man for over a three decades. After JP heard 2 stories about Sandusky fondling young boys any moral person would of done more then absolutely nothing.

I have met you more then a handful of times over the past 2 years and if I was told on two separate occasions by different people that you were molesting children you bet I would be calling the authorities.

I fully agree hindsight is 20/20 and you never truly know what someone is going through but did you here JP's statement last night? It made me wanna scream. Now he feels bad and wishes he had done more :facepalm:

Oh and another 8 men came forward today totaling 16 that might have been saved had someone spoke up. I'm sure this number will grow with more time and media coverage.

OK well I lied any way. I'm gonna beat this topic like a dead horse, because I read all the proof I need to know. Personally I think it's a joke that anyone involved or had any knowledge is going to remain on the payroll - not just JP. All of them need to go.....today not tomorrow or at the end of the season.

From the Inquirer
    http://www.philly.com/philly/column...ant_than_morality_and_the_law.html?page=1&c=y

At Penn State, football is more important than morality and the law

In Happy Valley, JoePa is pope. In his 46th season as head coach, and most likely his last, Joe Paterno can claim 409 career wins for a program annually generating $72 million.
    To many proud alums, Joe Paterno and his Nittany Lions football program are Penn State.
    Penn State takes its football very, very seriously.
    Credible accounts that a former assistant coach was sexually abusing young boys? Not so seriously.
    Eyewitnesses saw former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky do horrible things in the Lions' locker room, according to the grand jury presentment.
    In 2002 a graduate assistant, now Penn State's wide receivers coach, saw a naked boy about age 10 "with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky," a brutal incident difficult to forget or misinterpret.
    The assistant reported the matter to Paterno, who told officials that Sandusky was "fondling or doing something of a sexual nature."
    In possibly the worst version of Whisper Down the Lane ever, athletic director Tim Curley subsequently deemed the episode "horsing around."
    Rape, horsing around. Why not characterize the episode as tickling?
    Calls were made, an internal report filed, but outside authorities were never called.
    This wasn't the first time.
    In 1998, Sandusky's illicit behavior was observed and investigated by Penn State officials, actions Sandusky actually acknowledged.
    That was 13 years and who knows how many young boys ago.
    As with the Catholic Church's priest scandals, Sandusky's alleged hideous actions and the inexcusable inaction on the part of Penn State's administration occurred in an all-male, cloistered, and hierarchical community where the authority of top officials is never questioned and the reputation of a moneyed institution, venerated by the faithful, takes precedence over morality and the law.
    According to Scott Paterno, his father never spoke about the allegations to Sandusky, an assistant for 32 years.
    Seven of the eight juvenile victims reported that Sandusky engaged in criminal sexual behavior on campus property.
    What happened at Penn State stayed at Penn State, all secrets sacred in the temple of football.
    The rationalization appears to be that Sandusky had retired from coaching - even though he continued to "mentor" foster children from "absent or dysfunctional families" while enjoying full access to Penn State's facilities.
    Loyalty was to the football program, not the well-being of young children.
    "This has been as hard on Joe as anything I've ever seen him endure in the sense of trying to come to grips with 'How did this happen?' " Paterno's son said.
    "When he was first told this [in 2002], he was 75. This was so far from what he could possibly conceive of. You come back to him now, he's 84. It's so outside of what he can even imagine."
    Let's get this straight. Papa Joe, at 84, isn't too old to coach football. He's just too old to comprehend or deal with alleged illegal and immoral acts in his locker room.
    "This guy grew up in a Norman Rockwell painting and wanted to live in one in State College," Scott Paterno said.
    It's a little too late for that.
    Horrors happen. The goal should be to stop them from happening again.
    Penn State president Graham Spanier, a family therapist by training, should have been sensitive to charges of sexual abuse.
    Instead, he pledged "unconditional support" for Curley and senior vice president Gary Schultz, the pair charged with failing to report the crimes and lying to the grand jury.
    Meanwhile, Sandusky's lawyer argued that his client has "helped thousands of kids. It's just a shame this comes down to this stuff."
    Right, stuff.
    So many grown men protecting each other in the service of football, money, and reputation. The school's alma mater pledges, "May no act of ours bring shame."
    At Penn State, in the nation's second-largest stadium, football is the holy church, the almighty.
    And all these men, these football-worshipping men, are complicit in their silence and the anguish they might have spared so many innocent young boys.

7. Nov 9, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    I don'r disagree that he should have done more than he did, but he did what he was supposed to do. Even if he followed up with his superiors, the only thing that they could have told him was that it was taken care of, with no details. Paterno wasn't the witness, he was the messenger. And while he certainly didn't act in the most optimal way, he doesn't deserve to take as much of the blame as he is. (IMO)

BTW, I am not standing up for him because I am from Pennsylvania (I am) or attended PSU (I did, briefly) or think he is a great coach ( I have no idea, I hate football), but I just hate seeing the media vilify the easiest and most prominent target because it gets viewers. I would have the same opinion if this was the coach of any sports organization or any other public figure.

8. Nov 9, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Then why did you post that link? :confused:

9. Nov 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    I don'r disagree that he should have done more than he did, but he did what he was supposed to do. Even if he followed up with his superiors, the only thing that they could have told him was that it was taken care of, with no details. Paterno wasn't the witness, he was the messenger. And while he certainly didn't act in the most optimal way, he doesn't deserve to take as much of the blame as he is. (IMO)

BTW, I am not standing up for him because I am from Pennsylvania (I am) or attended PSU (I did, briefly) or think he is a great coach ( I have no idea, I hate football), but I just hate seeing the media vilify the easiest and most prominent target because it gets viewers. I would have the same opinion if this was the coach of any sports organization or any other public figure.

10. Nov 9, 2011 at 3:53 PM
    Enigmaaron

Enigmaaron All your soul are belong to us

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen superiority
    You're facts are not quite correct. Paterno was only told of the one incident and the details of what he was told happened are unknown at this point. All that is know is that he was told Sandusky was seen "fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy". He did what he was supposed to at that time and reported it to his superiors (one of whom oversaw the police department) who then spoke directly to the witness.

Put yourself in that position, someone you know and trusted for many years is accused of something like that. Would you want to believe it? And then you report it to other people you have known and trusted for many years who you fully expect to take the appropriate action. There is no record at this time of what Paterno was told after they looked into it. What if they told him the "young boy" was 18 or older, no crime committed but we told him not to bring them around campus because it's inappropriate. Wouldn't you want to believe that.

Am I saying that's what happened? I have no idea, no one outside of that circle does yet, and that's my point. People need to stop being so quick to judge before they grab their torches and pitch forks.

11. Nov 9, 2011 at 6:16 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    And again you don't know ALL OF THE STORY.
    FYI- For whatever reason, the DA at the time decided not to prosecute or persue charges any further IN 1998. Why? No one nows because the son-of-a-bitch has been MIA since 2005
    http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-footba...ray-gricar-prosecutor-1998-penn-state-missing

12. Nov 9, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
  13. Nov 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    The son of a bitch could have been stopped 13 years ago...........

14. Nov 9, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 [OP] wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    Are you questioning me??? Lol

Bc I was surprised at what I saw in the link. I feel JP was a great coach, and an iconic legend for PSU and the state for that fact. Yes I think he should have reported it to the authorities. Under the ucmj, you would be an accomplice in his situation. So yes he was wrong, but I don't hate him.

Some of the people who are posting in this thread need to chill btw. What has happened is now the past, move on.

15. Nov 9, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Tell that to the boys the were abused because no one manned up and stopped him. Anyone who knew and said nothing is a pretty low life scum....famous football great or not....

16. Nov 9, 2011 at 7:20 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    fired. officially.

17. Nov 9, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    Enigmaaron

Enigmaaron All your soul are belong to us

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen superiority
    Joe Paterno did not say nothing. Please stop believing he didn't. It doesn't matter now, he is no longer the head coach. Does that make the which hunters feel better?

18. Nov 9, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    FearNothing321

FearNothing321 You gonna eat that taco?

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Audi S3
  19. Nov 9, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
  20. Nov 9, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Fine- Did not say enough. I have a hard time believing that a nation football figure who has a weekly press conference couldn't get the proper attention brought to the situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top