1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keystone State Thread

Discussion in 'North East' started by Tatts521, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Feb 20, 2020 at 12:21 PM
    Anchovy

Anchovy Rule #1: Never take me seriously

Member:
    First Name:
    TRD Ferguson
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road (OVTuned)
    There was a point where I was driving 150 miles a day going to and from work for months :oops: boy do I NOT miss that

Tatts521[OP] likes this.
  2. Feb 20, 2020 at 12:32 PM
    testelle

testelle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Oley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Red 3.4L 4WD DCSB
    oops. I'd rather not have a vacation from TW. My bad. But if the moderator is chiming in like that, maybe I'll be given mercy.

3. Feb 20, 2020 at 12:38 PM
    MagtechPA

MagtechPA Thor

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't know if I could even go camping without beer... I would just sit there with my arms crossed, staring moodily at the fire. :rofl:

4. Feb 20, 2020 at 12:40 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Because it doesn't work that way.

PAlittlematty likes this.
  5. Feb 20, 2020 at 1:05 PM
    fe650

fe650 Well-Known Member

Member:

Ok.. The off-road industry is valued at over $19 BILLION dollars annually. That is the number 19 followed by nine zeros; $19,000,000,000. Its not a smaller sector as you mention. AND it is expected to continue growing.

Now, lets better understand what you are doing.

You must have a hobby.
    - Please list that hobby.
    - Provide a the annual revenue it generates

When you list that hobby, I will be sure to say "I don't agree with it". I will make a push to prevent that hobby.

Now, do I really wish to prevent you from your passion or hobby, No. As long as it is legal, moral and ethical.

Realize that you are dictating what others can and cannot do. Why?

I want you and others to enjoy what you like. Why can't others enjoy what they like. They are tax-payers too.

Realize that currently DCNR expends resources (your tax dollars) by blocking roads and patrolling to ensure no one bypasses the gates. How much tax-payer dollars does DCNR expend by putting up giant rocks and digging ditches that people bypass? A lot, I don't know the number.

DCNR will actually generate revenue by taking down barriers. A great example is AOAA, it generates tens of thousands of dollars annually. In fact, it is now recognized as one of the top 10 places to go in the US for off-roading.

That smaller sector that you mention, travels from all over the country to visit AOAA and Rausch Creek. And people from PA travel to different parts of the country to enjoy other off-road areas. Take a look at the Hatfield-McCoy riding area.

Not every part of PA needs to be an off-road park, that is not the goal. But, DCNR does not have the right to close all of PA and use the tax-payer dollars to do so.

I look forward to your answers. Please provide the information requested.

6. Feb 20, 2020 at 1:20 PM
    Cooktop86

Cooktop86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Hatfield, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD sport MGM
    Same here. I was out at Penn state on Monday and yesterday I was in north Jersey.

7. Feb 20, 2020 at 1:25 PM
    fe650

fe650 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't have a problem with that.

And thank you.

98tacoma27 likes this.
  8. Feb 20, 2020 at 1:28 PM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Your still dealing with the same one or is like a whole bunch decided to birth??

If it was one of those spiders that weigh 150 pounds I would think about calling off to go spider hunting

Tatts521[OP] likes this.
  9. Feb 20, 2020 at 1:29 PM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Access Cab TRD Offroad RIP '13
    Working on it
    Same one.

10. Feb 20, 2020 at 1:35 PM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Never fails The few get things closed for the many .

I remember a time most fire roads never had gates the same with power line access .

Then the bounty on Lawyers was removed So Lawsuits were filled for anything so the only people that won were the lawyers .

11. Feb 20, 2020 at 4:26 PM
    Explor

Explor Don’t take the trip ... let the trip take you

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    TRD valve stem caps , A Chimney & Back up camera. , Cooper STMaxx 255/80/17, SCS Dark Bronze wheels, , bed matt, weathertech floor liners and bug deflector , flyzeyez dash and glove box light , Best Top supertop, Brute Force Sliders , Bumpers ,KC back up lights, vent shades, tinting, superwinch 9.5 , Factor 55 winch thimble , KC ditch lights , BAMF IFS skid plates , Tepui Ruggedized RTT , Awning , Bed light kit , Hood Struts , Camburg UCAs ,Bud built gas skid , all pro differential skid , cbi jerry can holder , 15lb CO2 Tank , URD short shift , Defined engineering shackle bolt crossmember, Clazzio seat covers , 4:56 Nitro gears , ARB rear locker, CMKA12 compressor. Super Bump Stops, Bushwacker Flares , CBI bed rack , king resi front 700# , OME Dakar, Bilstein 6100's 10" light bar diode dynamics , AV monster fogs , TC bed reinforcement brackets , TC spindle gussets w swaybar Yeasue Ham , cb
    I remember the good ole days where their were a shit load of places to wheel. Not only were power company’s being sued for ones own stupidity while drunk , but the trash being thrown around was a cause too.
    Nobody mentioned the Trash ?
    Look around , people trash frequently traveled roads where your seen , now take away witnesses and it really flys , not to mention those not staying the trail.

I don’t see the state being receptive to allowing open gates any time soon or later. People would have to show more responsibility first.

Every Beautiful place and not so nice has trash thrown around.

12. Feb 20, 2020 at 4:27 PM
    steele-taco

steele-taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    Jersey shore
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR DCSB white
    Is that first picture your air filter?

13. Feb 20, 2020 at 4:48 PM
    19taco4x4

19taco4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    21 Silver SR
    The crosstrek has nothing but squirrels under the hood as much as I liked it when I had my leased WRX but I would get the crosstrek as a loaner during service and such. I remember a long time ago when I asked a sales guy what the difference was between a Subaru Impreza Hatchback and a Subaru Crosstrek and he jokingly said: “A 1 inch lift kit.”

HomerTaco likes this.
  14. Feb 20, 2020 at 5:07 PM
    steele-taco

steele-taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    Jersey shore
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR DCSB white
    Yep. Those gates aren’t going to open, and I’m kinda glad they if they don’t. People are just going to disrespect the land. Throw trash and cut side trails.

If one person can’t be responsible for their own trash, we should all just go home. Oh wait there’s trash in the way.

blackout14 and skatefreak282 like this.
  15. Feb 20, 2020 at 5:26 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    This is a great description of what AOAA was prior to organization. I went up to that area a few times and there was trash EVERYWHERE you looked.
    I prefer gates and limited access than having public lands becoming a dumping ground.

Unfortunately not everyone in the "off-road community" prescribes to the "tread lightly" train of thought. :pout:

16. Feb 20, 2020 at 5:30 PM
    Braves95

Braves95 Go Clemson Tigers

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    17 MGM TRD Off Road DCSB P&T 6MT
    Fab Fours Bumper Block Heater Dual Exhaust Flow Master Smittybilt 12k Winch Synthetic Rope Bed Mat Roof Rack Puddle Lights 17" Rockstar Wheels NittoTerra Grapplers Power TailGate Lock Tonneau Cover w/lights Mobtown sliders MT Remote Start Tinted Windows Front And Rear Camera BRC Competition Diff Breather Bed Step Weather tech Floor Mats TRD Pro Tail lights TRD MT Shift Knob ARB dual compressor URD short shifter Kings 2.5 OEM W/remote resi. Click adjuster.
    A FUCKING men!!

HomerTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Feb 20, 2020 at 5:34 PM
    testelle

testelle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Oley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Red 3.4L 4WD DCSB
    Ok.. The off-road industry is valued at over $19 BILLION dollars annually. That is the number 19 followed by nine zeros; $19,000,000,000. Its not a smaller sector as you mention. AND it is expected to continue growing.

Now, lets better understand what you are doing.

You must have a hobby.
    - Please list that hobby.
    - Provide a the annual revenue it generates

Let's say I like to eat fast food as a hobby, which has an annual revenue of $570 billion (That's 30 times larger an industry, a 3 with one zero behind it... larger than your hobby). I'm in the pot with the people spending that $570 and I want fast food on every corner of Mer-ca whether or not the people of any given town/community/state feel that way or not. So I'm going to go lobby that zoning laws should be changed because its a $570 billion industry and that we should go eminent domain on anyone who owns a house on a busy corner in their town, boot them out, and say they need to level their house so our precious fast food joint can go up.

But it doesn't mean much of anything to simply hear how much is being spent on an activity. It would be a logical fallacy to think that the dollar value of revenue is representative of what proportion of society partakes in that hobby (and therefore who gets the swaying power in a democracy where majority wins). Off road vehicles are as expensive as all-get-out to buy, as are the parts to upgrade routine vehicles into the froading beasts we see on this forum. The dollar value of the vehicles and upgrades doesn't mean there is a massive proportion of PA that is being stymied by DCNR's road blocks. I'm simply saying that there's likely a far lot more people who'd appreciate those road blocks staying up than the number of people spending those 19 billion dollars.

When you list that hobby, I will be sure to say "I don't agree with it". I will make a push to prevent that hobby.

Please do push to eliminate fast food from America... it is bad for us all.

Now, do I really wish to prevent you from your passion or hobby, No. As long as it is legal, moral and ethical.

As I also do not wish you not to enjoy your off roading passion in legal, moral, ethical places where it is not currently illegal to access as per state law.

Realize that you are dictating what others can and cannot do. Why?

That would be the government that dictates that, not me personally. Crap, I usually vote Republican and the Dems are usually the ones winning the electoral votes for PA regardless of my votes, so what do I matter?

I want you and others to enjoy what you like. Why can't others enjoy what they like. They are tax-payers too.

See my first points on some of the things I think would be bad consequences of full access. I don't write the laws, but I'm not in disagreement in this scenario.

Realize that currently DCNR expends resources (your tax dollars) by blocking roads and patrolling to ensure no one bypasses the gates. How much tax-payer dollars does DCNR expend by putting up giant rocks and digging ditches that people bypass? A lot, I don't know the number.

DCNR will actually generate revenue by taking down barriers. A great example is AOAA, it generates tens of thousands of dollars annually. In fact, it is now recognized as one of the top 10 places to go in the US for off-roading.

That smaller sector that you mention, travels from all over the country to visit AOAA and Rausch Creek. And people from PA travel to different parts of the country to enjoy other off-road areas. Take a look at the Hatfield-McCoy riding area.

Not every part of PA needs to be an off-road park, that is not the goal. But, DCNR does not have the right to close all of PA and use the tax-payer dollars to do so.

Agreed... so you and your supporters can work with the DCNR to establish some more places to legally go off roading in PA. But my opinion is that it should not be any and all DCNR controlled lands.

I look forward to your answers. Please provide the information requested.

I didn't tell you not to voice that opinion. You're welcome to it. But if you can have the right to that free speech, then I'm exercising the right to discuss my opinions on your opinion. Not dictating you not to have fun. Its a fun hobby I'm sure.

Bastek, Wyoming09 and HomerTaco like this.
  18. Feb 20, 2020 at 5:41 PM
    WBF610

WBF610 Member well known

Member:
    First Name:
    Carey
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC OR
    mats, flaps, and stickers. Extang solid fold 2.0. Mobtown sliders and full skids. AVS vents
    Just got my letter from Toyota about my frame...:mad:

19. Feb 20, 2020 at 5:49 PM
    WBF610

WBF610 Member well known

Member:
    First Name:
    Carey
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC OR
    mats, flaps, and stickers. Extang solid fold 2.0. Mobtown sliders and full skids. AVS vents
    I mean it’s fine. But i guess i have to make an appt to get it checked. Wonder if they’ll say my sliders are a cause..

Taco critter likes this.
  20. Feb 20, 2020 at 5:51 PM
    420taco

420taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    PA
    I got the letter too. God forbid anyone takes ownership and actually maintains they’re own shit.

WBF610 and Taco critter like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top