1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keystone State Thread

Discussion in 'North East' started by Tatts521, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Jun 2, 2020 at 11:59 AM
    sendhelp

sendhelp Member

Member:
    First Name:
    m.
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab
    Hey -
    Anyone recommend a place to get an 04 painted in the Philadelphia / South Jersey area?
    Clear coat on roof and hood coming off getting close to potential rust.
    Thanks!

johneman and testelle like this.
  2. Jun 2, 2020 at 12:20 PM
    FreshOldTaco

FreshOldTaco Well-Known Rider

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    above the storm
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma
    Nice! I got the new Toytec Aluma Series coilovers/rear shocks, SPC UCA's, OME leafs/shackles, and a couple other odds and ends. Still deciding if I should get new wheels or go back to the stockers. For tires I'm thinking 265/75/16.

upload_2020-6-2_15-18-41.jpg

[​IMG]

Gotcha, also I'm going to take an inventory ahead of time and try to have all new bolts on hand

johneman and Taco critter like this.
  3. Jun 2, 2020 at 12:45 PM
    testelle

testelle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Oley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Red 3.4L 4WD DCSB
    How much rust do you have up ins? That was a limiting factor that made me go with all stock. I kinda figured if I spent a bunch of money and lifted it and put heavier leafsprings in, etc... that I might waste the money when I tried to go off roading with it and broke the frame in half or something like that. I looked over your list here and ponder the following potential issues for knowing you have backup parts, bolts, etc. The UCA's there on your list, do they come with the UCA bolts? I think I cut one of my UCA bolts to get it out it was so bad. The TW used ones I bought for replacement came with the bolts so I had the spare after I cut the one. The lower bolt for the front coilover that attaches in through to the LCA... I think I just barely salvaged mine knowing it stripped a little but had enough thread to still do the job. Lots of heat and patience to get that one out. But you may want to consider lining up a spare bolt in case you need to cut that one. Upper balljoint on one side was so dang seized in there that no kind of heat treatment got it out without ending up bending my spindle. Be ready for that one. I heated it back up and went blacksmithy on that and just beat it back to a right angle again after getting that balljoint out. Jerry lent me a kit for pressing those ball joints in that worked better than a rental at Autozone. For the rear leaf and strut job... the I had a devil of a time getting off the leaf spring U bolts. I was saving them to just use again. I see you have 4 new ones in that kit, which is handy to just cut the old ones and be done with it. But that plate that they mount through... Mine was rusted A.F. and I spent a good bit of time knocking off rust to re-use it again after doing some rust converter and re-painting. I believe I had a bugger of a time getting the old rear struts off the lower studs they hook on to, and I may have had to cut one of the bolts from the upper mounting that goes through the frame?

Then the kick in the nuts was I went to get inspected after all that work, and failed for rust on the body. So I could have made my life much easier if I knew I'd fail on rust because I ended up taking the bed off to replace it anyway and I could have so much more easily did the rear suspension work if I knew I'd have needed to remove the bed.

4. Jun 2, 2020 at 1:18 PM
    FreshOldTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    above the storm
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma
    The suspension components and rear axle have a good amount of rust. The frame is solid and still has the coating on it that Toyota applied back in 2010. No body rust.

Thanks for recounting your experience there. I'm sure I'm in for a fight so going to start soaking it down in PB blaster now while gathering all the parts. Definitely going to buy new leaf eye bolts, UCA bolts, shock bolts, sway bar end links, and whatever else looks like it might be seized.

5. Jun 2, 2020 at 1:32 PM
    TwistedTLM4

TwistedTLM4 Unknown Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCSB TRD Sport
    WeatherTech Floor Mats, WeatherTech Bug Shield and Vent Visors, Audio Upgrade, RaamAudio RaamMat & Ensolite, Mr. Marv's Custom 10" Sub Enclosure, Pop N Lock Electronic Tailgate Lock, mattgecko's Bedlights, Demello Offroad Single Hoop Bumper, Marathon Seat Covers, Leer Topper, OME885s on 5100s, @Blackout14 HD Leaf Pack
    I've got my Duro-Bumps, Ruff Stuff shock mounts, Wheeler's extended brake lines all en-route for my shock relocate at GMF on 07/11. @skatefreak282 is prepping my GMF rear shock hoops. Gonna be a good day!

6. Jun 2, 2020 at 1:56 PM
    testelle

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Oley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Red 3.4L 4WD DCSB
    All this time and I only just remembered that sig picture is Bernie from Weekend at Bernie's! What was the inspiration on that?

7. Jun 2, 2020 at 2:12 PM
    FreshOldTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    above the storm
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma
    Lol yes it is! I just think Bernie is a really funny character, my wife and I love that movie for whatever reason and quote it all the time.

8. Jun 2, 2020 at 4:37 PM
    testelle

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Oley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Red 3.4L 4WD DCSB
    Oh yea... Kevin, did you get some new bump stops? I didn't see that on your list.

9. Jun 2, 2020 at 4:53 PM
    Anchovy

Anchovy Rule #1: Never take me seriously

Member:
    First Name:
    TRD Ferguson
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road (OVTuned)
    Is it the end of the world yet?

10. Jun 2, 2020 at 4:58 PM
    johneman

johneman Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
  11. Jun 2, 2020 at 5:29 PM
    FreshOldTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    above the storm
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma
    No but that’s another thing I should probably get

Taco critter and johneman like this.
  12. Jun 2, 2020 at 6:15 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    No, but I can tell you that Monday was two weeks long. :(

13. Jun 3, 2020 at 3:25 AM
    johneman

johneman Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    :pccoffee::hattip:. Debating on whether to get a 2020 Tacoma or just keep the '07. Only have 90,000 miles on it and it is in great mechanical condition but the body has some dings and the interior is okay. One part of me says "keep what you have" and the other part says "sure would be nice having a nice new Tacoma". I will probably kick this around for a year or so then get a 2022:facepalm:. Decisions, decisions.... Have a good one.

HomerTaco, Fifthwind, stbear and 4 others like this.
  14. Jun 3, 2020 at 3:37 AM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Morning Pennsylvania :hattip:

15. Jun 3, 2020 at 3:39 AM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Access Cab TRD Offroad RIP '13
    Working on it
    Just keep it and buy a new one.

Edit: You'll get hardly anything out of an 07 4banger anyway.

16. Jun 3, 2020 at 4:37 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Best of both worlds!!!

17. Jun 3, 2020 at 7:08 AM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    Working on it
    *essentially sitting in bunker*

This storm looks fun.

Fifthwind, Anchovy, johneman and 2 others like this.
  18. Jun 3, 2020 at 7:34 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Thunder is rolling here

*Awaits inevitable power flicker*

19. Jun 3, 2020 at 7:38 AM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    Working on it
    I can throw a rock from the roof and hit the substation. If we get a flicker we have bigger problems.

20. Jun 3, 2020 at 7:41 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    I was in the same situation, Ken. I loved the '04 and it only had 41k miles on it...but I needed the dual cab and knew that I'd be looking at whatever I had being my daily driver. I've already got the '96 Z3 in the garage for fun - just couldn't justify having another vehicle to care for.

Good mornin' fellow Pennsyltuckyvanians!!! No rain here...yet. Actually a really nice morning but I can feel the humidity building. Rain is on the way. Stay safe!!

Products Discussed in

To Top