1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

People begging for money

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 01TacoBuz, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Feb 21, 2012 at 12:45 AM
    80s toysport

80s toysport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikolai (Nik)
    kansas city, ks
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD off road
    Camper, nerf bars, visors, hood bug gaurd, ABS killswitch, bed light
    I need a lift kit. Would you help fund the part for me :D j/k.

2. Feb 21, 2012 at 1:49 AM
    01TacoBuz

01TacoBuz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    K&N drop in filter, URD rear simulator, Deck plate mod/home made CAI, No rear cat, MagnaFlow muffler
    Im not making fun of deaf people by no means, I have a sister that has been completely deaf her entire life

The fact that he is playing deaf is why he handed you a card

3. Feb 21, 2012 at 1:57 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    well some deaf people can actually speak pretty well considering. if he didn't know ASL or some form of sign language though then that would definitely be a good indication of him faking it...

4. Feb 21, 2012 at 2:12 AM
    01TacoBuz

01TacoBuz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    K&N drop in filter, URD rear simulator, Deck plate mod/home made CAI, No rear cat, MagnaFlow muffler
    Oh, sorry, then I mislead with my statement

I guess I should have added that he always just mumbled like he was trying to talk as he handed you the card but all the card said was he was deaf and needed money

Either way Im glad I never gave the scammer any money

5. Feb 21, 2012 at 5:52 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    I've cooked at the homeless shelter. I've helped build community housing. I give money to charities. I do not hand out food, money, or anything else to random people on street corners and in parking lots. Besides that, I hardly ever carry cash. I guess the beggars better invest in a credit card machine.

As for the laziness of homeless (or pretending-to-be homeless) people... if I wanted to I could get by with 50% effort at work, probably less. People do that all the time. I try to show a little initiative because I like the pay raises I get for it, but my job doesn't usually tax me greatly. Really I'm probably just as lazy, but I've found a way to be respectable about doing it.

Last spring I was working for a company that provided a bunk house, just a house they rented for employees working in the field a couple hundred miles from home. One evening there were 3 or 4 of us at the house and we decided to go overboard on dinner. We all chipped in and one of the guys went to the store for ribeyes, crab legs, etc, and of course beer. He came home with the groceries... and a homeless man named Eddie to cook it all. Eddie was one of those Will Work For Food guys. Eddie wasn't remotely down on his luck, he just wasn't interested. He'd been on the road since 1973 and he was good at it. Can't argue with that, I guess. I doubted much of his story, but that part was believable. So he cooked and cleaned the house, even washed our trucks, to earn his food for a couple days. Eddie was clearly a little bit off though, and when he broke a house rule and was asked not to do it again, he got very mad and got a little violent. Well... you can't really do that. He found out that the guys at the house stuck up for each other pretty well, and that was the end of his stay with us.

6. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:00 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    a co-worker was getting gas a few mornings ago and told about a guy asking for money. This was right by the front gate near base.

While he was pumping gas he said a black dude walked up and asked for some money. "sorry man, I cant help you". He moves along.
    There was also an older cowboy guy getting gas as well. the beggar walked over to the cowboy and came up behind him and asked him for money. I guess he didnt see it comming but it startled him.

the cowboy says "no, I dont have anything for you".
    black guy gets offended and starts mouthing
    cowboy "listen here you frisbee lip, n****r. I garuntee you that no one will come looking for you when you turn up missing".

the little black guy turned around and took off real quick.

my coworker said he thought there was about to be a shootout! haha

7. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:21 AM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    95 V6 4x4 ex cab SR5 5sp PICKUP!!!
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    I have a few mean stories :devil: i used to be nice and give money, and i do occassionally still do if i feel they are sincere.

1. At several different gas stations around town there would be a white lady always asking for 5$ to buy her kids some milk cause they were hungry, the number of kids always changes so did the story. But there would always be a black guy hanging out around the entrance of the gas station, finally one day i told her quit begging get a job and tell her pimp to get a job too, or make him stand farther away so it seems a little more legit. And no i am not racist, but if you saw the side of town they were on and saw what they looked like, you would understand. I lived on the edge of the ghetto.

2. Got off work one night, always got gas at the station that was right off the interstate, i usually got off around midnight. A man approached me telling me a story he, his wife and three kids were traveling from fl to nc or somewhere and their explorer ran out of gas, and they had no money...(this was in sc, why would you go on a trip with insufficient funds?) He continued to tell me some story about his explorer, by that time, i had got back to my car at the pump (which also was an explorer) and i pointed to it, and said "I have one of those too, breaks down all the time, you think i have money?" He was also wearing a business suit...who travels to see family in a business suit, when you have to drive through 3-4 states?

3. Again, at the pump one day, guy pulls up, gets out searches his pockets, digs through his car, searching everywhere, I hear him start cussing, he forgot his wallet, so I asked if he needed a couple bucks, said he only needed like 3$ to put enough in to get back to his house and get his wallet. I gave him 5, didnt have any change.

Ive been in his situation before, forgot my purse at home, I was in the diesel, thought maybe it slid under the seat, and the diesel pump was next to where the tanker refueled the tanks, he was standing there filling them up and i guess was watching me search the truck for my wallet, he came over and asked if i had forgotten it, and i said yeah, he gave me 20, i told him i didnt need that much only enough to get me home and back to the pumps, he insisted on the 20 though, saved my life that day :)

8. Feb 21, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    jrgroucho

jrgroucho Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 BSP
    Hose Clamp, No Seatbelt Chime, Husky Floor Liners, BHLM, sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, Wet Okole Covers/Armrests,
    About ten years ago I used to travel about an hour one way to work and as a result spent a lot of time at gas stations. One day there was a couple my age or a few years younger. They were nearly on empty and needed gas to get somewhere, I've forgotten the story but it wasn't some sad thing. I told them I didn't have any cash, which I didn't and paid for my gas with my debit card. After, I about it and went up to them and ran my card for them so they could get a tankful. They were grateful and I felt good.

Another time I was parking downtown and a guy came up to me and told me a story about how he had been down on his luck since his wife ran off with another woman; he wanted some money so he and his buddy could get some booze. I thought it was a good story and gave him 3 or 4 dollars.

Nowadays I don't carry cash and rarely give handouts. I guess I'm getting old and cynical.

9. Feb 21, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had a guy approach me in the walmart parking lot claiming to be a Vet and showed me his vet card really quick like. He said he needed gas money and that his truck was parked over there (pointed off in the parking lot somwhere). I dont' carry cash, but i told him I needed to fill up my tank so if he met me over at the gas pump at walmart, i would fill up his tank. He agreed and i went over to fill up. On my way over, i saw him preying on other people. He didn't need gas, just wanted money.

10. Feb 21, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    meh it depends. as "ty" something username said, there are a good bit of beggers in Raleigh, NC. it usually comes down to style points. if you have a good story, maybe make me laugh, yeah ill give you some change.

i gave this guy a dollar about a month ago. he came up to me with half a cigarette in his hand and asked if i had a light. i keep a lighter on me, told him yeah and he lit his smoke. then he just rolled right in to his story on how he was starving, etc. i liked his method - he didn't come begging at me, he asked for a light and then when he had me there he asked. it was smooth, i gave him a buck.

i was on the main street of my college campus last year and this girl probably about 19-20 came up to me begging for some money to buy food and what not. she was soooo desperate so i just gave her a dollar to shut her up. the next day i saw her on campus with a freshberry's cup (local high end frozen yogurt shop) and a little poodle dog on a leash. i was so pissed.

11. Feb 21, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    pancho

pancho Go home Nubbs, street lights are off!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pancho
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    18 Cement OR 4x4 DCSB
    Black out emblems. TRD Pro grille.
    My parents raised me not to give mone out. But I was in such a happy mood that nigh and was with friends. Also a cute girl. So I gave a guy 3 bucks and some cookies that I just bough to impress the girl that I was nice. Sadly enough she was like " why would you give them money" -___-

One time at Venice beach this guy had a sign that said need money for surgery. Want to be a cornstarch. I have the pic somewhere. Ill post it when i can

12. Feb 21, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    I don't carry cash but if they're hanging in front of a convenience store I'll grab em a tall boy. I know I'm perpetuating the problem but I still do it :eek:

13. Feb 21, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I'll give these people money under one condition..

Make me laugh... That's it.. I don't care what they do, if i laugh you get 5$.. If I almost shit my self laughing, I'll for you a 20$.

So far only 2 people ever had made me laugh.. One guy just told me some stupid knock knock joke which was funny.. he got 5$.

The other guy ran over to the other homeless guy, pushed him down, dry humped him while waving at me the entire time and yelling out cowboy stuff like 'ride em' cow boy' and a lot of 'yee-haaa'. I had never seen anything so funny in my life.

I took that guy out to Ihop and bought him dinner, and gave him $52.. He deserved more than that but that was all the cash I had in my wallet after dinner.

14. Feb 21, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Ill be sure and find you next time I need some cash! sheesh! :laugh:

15. Feb 21, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    You never know why the person is homeless.. Could be drug problem, could be something that they had very little or no control over. My good friends dad is homeless, he's a Nam vet and he's pretty messed up in the head from it.

Most of the time, they won't even bother telling me a joke for 5$.. The people who really want help, or want $$$ better work for it.. When that dude ran over to the other homeless guy I seriously almost pissed myself it was so funny. I never laughed that hard since Dumb and Dumber came out. He deserved every penny. :)

Come to az, make me laugh my ass off, i'll take you out to ihop. :)

16. Feb 21, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Definitely check the dental work. If they have all their teeth..NICE TRY, MORON!
    images_5bfe67c52489ac0cdf68620cb060b3bd37c382b8.jpg

17. Feb 21, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    TS1980

TS1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Sorry to say but I don't think I've come across a homeless person that did not have an alcohol or drug problem. Pan handling is like a cancer. One starts begging and the next thing you know there's a "residentially challenged" person at every intersection or exit ramp. I don't give them anything. They got themselves into a hole, it up to them to get themselves out. Or beg for money to buy booze, cigarettes, crack, or meth. I don't support them.

18. Feb 21, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    There was a guy that did this in the old Buford Wally World years ago. Wouldn't be the same guy would it?

19. Feb 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon

and pay me 100 bucks cash?:D

20. Feb 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    I really only have had that happen once..A GRUNGY looking chick(early 20's) was outside 7-11 one day. I was getting a drink and walked out to my truck(jeep, lifted on 33's at the time)..She commented on my jeep, and asked if I had a couple dollars to spare. I told her she'd have to work for it, she looked at me funny then finally figured it out and walked away. I was by no means planning on having any kinds of "relations" with this chick, just wanted to see the outcome.

The second time, I was in the same said jeep, and had my soft doors on, with the windows out. Sitting at a stop light in town, this dude walked over and leaned on my jeep like I knew him, asking for money..I asked him to please move away, I'm on official undercover buisness..He stepped back, saluted me and the light turned green..That dude was WERID.

Products Discussed in

To Top