1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Performance Module/Chip

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by lberger, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Apr 18, 2012 at 7:00 AM
    lberger

lberger [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD Off Road
    Hey, I just purchased a 2009 Tacoma PreRunner, 6cyl, Off Road Package. Drove it from NJ to Southern Virginia all highway miles and averaged 21 mpg. A guy at one of the gas pumps with a Tacoma mentioned using a "Performance Module/Chip" to improve gas mileage and overall performance. I've been reading the forums that mention other options but haven't seen anything about the performance modules. Any opinions or suggestions?

2. Apr 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    There are none, you are already getting great gas milage with your Taco. If you want better get the 4 cylinder or buy a smaller car. Sorry to tell you that but its the truth.

Improved gas milage and improved performance do not come together. You can usually get one while sacrficing the other. Unfortunately your already getting great milage on your Taco and there is no real cheap/reasonible way to get better. 21 is at the high end of what people get so be happy.

3. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    lberger

lberger [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD Off Road
    It does look like 21 mpg is good for the Tacoma. My confusion is because I also have a 6cyl, 2003 4Runner, 4wd which gets 23 mpg highway. I know it's only 2 mpg but I hoped that with the 2wd and a 5 speed transmission it would do better. Thanks anyway.

4. Apr 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Good post mate. :thumbsup:

To go along with Wolfpack, performance and MPG can go hand in hand. When you increase efficiencies. Or the VE of the engine unit. You can do inside and out. Decrease restrictions/increase easy of flowing.

Best gas savers are light weight oils, and high tire pressure. Those are also the cheapest "mods". Those will have their own draw backs as well. Next is simply reducing vehicle weight, by whichever means you see fit. Lighter wheels and tires. Thinner tread tires..... Less contact patch equals less friction. However that also means less traction.

For me, it is lighter wheels, lighter drive-line components (flywheel, driveshaft), lighter battery. Then items to increase the efficiency of the engine. Then tuning units to fine tune inconsistencies of the fueling.

Products Discussed in

To Top