1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Performance parts paying for themselves

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Neural, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Aug 18, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    But would you buy the cover for the sole purpose of increasing your gas mileage? I get an extra 2 - 3 mpg if I'm lucky, no way I'd buy a tonneau just for that if I didn't have another use for it.

2. Aug 18, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    toojayz

toojayz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4 DC MGM SB
    I think what is overlooked most of the time is to check tire pressure regularly. If your tires are under-inflated, your mileage will suffer big time. Think about riding a bicycle with under inflated tires, lots more work to pedal which makes your engine work harder = less mileage plus, it's a FREE MOD! That makes it even better ;) just my .02

3. Aug 18, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    The biggest thing to remember about a mod paying for itself is the mileage. While some members may do good to average 10k miles a year on their truck - some of us can do 10k in three months. This is where the value is in the eye of the beholder - or wallet of the driver. While 50k miles for payback may seem like to long for some, that's only a little over a year for me; so that mod might be worth it.

Just saying...

4. Sep 13, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    Jimbo

Jimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07_4x4_Access Cab_V-6_Manual-6_Silver Mica
    None yet
    Me too. Great cover for what I need.

5. Sep 13, 2010 at 12:02 PM
    monrad

monrad Coprolite

Member:
    B'wood, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC short box TRD Sport, TM
    Avid light bar+RBG, Lightforce 140s, fog mod, FSM badges, Bobcatoshi grille + Stampede, JDM DRLs, TRD cat-back, rear spring TSB, AccessLE
    If by 'performance' you're willing to accept better handling, then a tonneau (note spelling) provides an advantage in crosswinds. Just completed a 7770.3-mi coast-to-coast round trip with Access LE deployed, encountered some 40-50mph (from local news reports) xwinds on I-80 between Wendover and SLC, UT; buffeting was no worse than 20mph xwinds w/o tonneau in SC on I-26 near coast, and truck was *much* more stable than in 35mph xwinds on I-95 w/o tonneau in NC. All segments driven @ 75-80mph, 32psi (cold) inflation pressure w/rear-spring TSB.

Totally anecdotal and I don't know how you'd translate that into cost advantage or disadvantage, but that's my experience. YMMV.

Products Discussed in

To Top