1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Permanently Disable Traction Control?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mrbadwrench, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Jan 22, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    mrbadwrench

mrbadwrench [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleveland Ohio area
    Vehicle:
    2014 GMC Sierra 4x4, 1988 Mitsubishi J53
    It's annoying to have to punch the "Traction Control Off/Auto LSD On" button every single time you restart the truck. Is there a way to set it so that the Traction Control is off and the Auto LSD is on, permanently?

Thought we could just wire the switch one way or the other, but it's not a "2-position" switch :mad:

Ideas?

Thank you in advance, TW, for your help.

2. Jan 22, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    mrbadwrench

Member:
    Cleveland Ohio area
    Vehicle:
    I was afraid of that...darn computers! Why do they have to run everything!

Thank you for your help though!

3. Jan 22, 2011 at 1:49 PM
    mrbadwrench

Member:
    Cleveland Ohio area
    Vehicle:
    It is being a problem just because it is annoying to always have the engine cutting power. Very annoying when tugging equipment and trailers around all day, because some wheel spin is normal and useful for that sort of thing. The traction control is too aggressive...it seems to have a zero wheel spin policy, which is very crippling on most loose surfaces.

bordercity taco likes this.
  4. Jan 22, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    Should have bought an 07 :) Traction control is for women and children!

5. Jan 19, 2015 at 1:59 PM
    Empty But Dirty

Empty But Dirty Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hunt'in Fish'in Truck
    I'm ready to trade may 2014 Tacoma in because of the trac control. Was in deep snow the other day and needed to give it a real shot to get up the road, every time I would give it heavy gas the engine would shut down and the brakes kept applying. My son in his 2004 Ford Ranger drove right into where we need to be and had to keep pulling me out of the snow. New truck stuck old truck pulling it out. Can I disable all this crap put in for people who need it? I really don't need to hear about how my son kept pulling me out, that's a tough swallow.

6. Jan 19, 2015 at 3:21 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    First off nice thread dig..... 4 years almost to the day thats pretty good.

obviously you have not read the manual on the various traction control options.

By default the truck had engine regulation, if you tap the traction control button this will turn engine regulation off and you can spin your wheels with auto lsd till your hearts content. if you want nothing, stop, press and hold (5-10secs) the traction control switch till everything turns off as indicated on the dash.

7. Jan 19, 2015 at 3:36 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
  8. Jan 19, 2015 at 3:43 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    In the dark, I often miss the trac off button and hit the clutch start cancel. Annoys the shit out of me. ABS disable is in the plans.

9. Jan 19, 2015 at 3:44 PM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Hate my traction control. Somehow the last time wheeling, it has turned itself off, truck with skids coming off the back lit up in dash. Have left it off, no problems that I can see, TC is really off, 4 wheel 2 wheel hi low, no more. Gas milage is the same so no brake applying, no heating of brakes or other systems. I like it. No wires hanging down, don't know what happened, but no more buttons to push for real traction.

10. Jan 19, 2015 at 6:07 PM
    Empty But Dirty

Empty But Dirty Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hunt'in Fish'in Truck
    I pushed the traction control button to shut it off and it still cut the engine, that's why I asked. I wondered if there was really a way to shut it off...
    I read the post on traction control and it is very helpful, I'm not sure what the RSCA off is. I know this is not a problem for most people but I'm having a hard time understanding how to use the options.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  11. Jan 19, 2015 at 6:25 PM
    sdtag

sdtag Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DC LB
    lifted 2", snug top, tube steps
    I have a 15, I had an 11 before that. In my truck(s) I had to wait a couple of seconds after the engine started, then press the button for like 5 or 6 seconds.
    I thought about building something but it's not that big a deal for me. I have one corner by my house that the engine cuts out on every time. I just go slower on it now.
    I think this action could be mimicked with a small circuit with a couple of timers. One timer would wait 3 seconds after the truck starts, the next timer would "push" the button for 6 seconds. Kind of a PITA. I think the first timer would be ON delay and the second would be OFF delay. I'm old school, I think relay logic.
    Any electrical brainiacs out there? Some of you kids could probably make something using Arduino or Raspberry Pi, or something similar.

12. Jan 19, 2015 at 6:25 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    tapping it once will turn off engine regulation but leave auto lsd on. you might think it was cutting your engine but it was probably simulating an lsd out back.

with engine regulation you will see the rpms just wont climb at all. see the link above for a proper explanation.

13. Jan 19, 2015 at 6:46 PM
    Empty But Dirty

Empty But Dirty Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hunt'in Fish'in Truck
    Ok, I understand. I'm sure I didn't do something right. I'm just not used to pushing buttons and the options. I know the engine was cutting out but I've had a 13 and now 14 and only had a problem once where I need to give it a good shot in deep snow.
    I remember now about RSCA. Yes, I remember reading about the side air bags off switch.
    Thank you for the explanations.

14. Jan 19, 2015 at 8:10 PM
    jackwithcorona

jackwithcorona Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Eastern Mass
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB SR5 4x4
    bestop supertop, rubber bed mat, weathertech floor mats
  15. Mar 3, 2020 at 11:33 AM
    dkg

dkg Active Member

Member:
    I was doing some high speed off-roading this weekend and the vsc/traction control was killing me. I was trying to race a friend w/ a 5.7L hemi grand cherokee and he kept catching up cause the damn truck kept slamming on the brakes & cutting my power...Supercharged Tacoma still won!

Anyway, thinking of trying this out. Anyone else tried it? Or can anyone think of issues this might cause?

16. Nov 6, 2020 at 11:46 PM
    CaliTacoG2

CaliTacoG2 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma sport 4L 6sp
    OME bp51 suspension, ARB front bumper, 1200 lb winch
    I was having trouble with the traction control on my gen 2 tacoma trd sport applying the brakes in corners on a canyon highway because it thought it was detecting slip when it was just the 33 inch tires making the computer think the wheels were slipping. I would have to remember to turn the traction control "off" ( actually just to its lowest setting ) every time I got in the truck. now I have the TRAC system completely disabled which is great for driving the curves and for in the snow but the downside is along with TRAC my ALB system is also disabled. has anyone found a happy compromise to keep anti lock brakes active but not TRAC?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    TodayWasTHeDaY likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top