1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Personal choice

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by hud445, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Nov 27, 2008 at 7:58 PM
    hud445

hud445 [OP] Member

Member:
    Glendale az
    Vehicle:
    08 TACO TRD DBL CAB 4X4 6cyl
    Man,I just can't fathom what the attraction is to all black rims. I know & respect that it is a personal choice & all, but...just do not know. Black accents, possibly.

I had a friend out visiting from the midwest last week & he was blown away. Is it just a Southwest thing?

I guess you either like them or not. No shade of grey on this one.

2. Nov 27, 2008 at 8:14 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    I agree with you. I don't get the all-black theme. However, it is extremely popular. I guess we are just out of touch... :D

3. Nov 27, 2008 at 8:18 PM
    myrcrocks

myrcrocks The Reasonable One

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma SR5
    Actually, I'm kind of leaning towards the 'bronze' finish of the XD Series for my Pyrite Mica... If anyone is Photoshop friendly (I'm not) and wanted to post pics of a Pyrite Mica Acess Cab SR5 4X4 with various Bronze XD rims, that would be sweet....

I think it would definately be different...

4. Nov 27, 2008 at 8:53 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Your right i dont get why people do the all black theme i mean why lol pretty much its all preference.

5. Nov 27, 2008 at 9:07 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Black is more easy to keep clean, or rather, doesnt show dirt, dust, and other crap as well as most polished or crome wheels. AND, its personal preferance. I have been tinkering with the idea of getting some black wheels, because mine look bad of not clean. And cleaning them is time consuming. BUT, my Wife got them for me, so I dont know............

6. Nov 27, 2008 at 9:58 PM
    dtrujillo63

dtrujillo63 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denny
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport
    I have a white taco and I think that white and black make a great combo! I have me a panda truck!

7. Nov 28, 2008 at 1:14 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Chrome rims on a truck with no chrome accents but with black accents would look retarded with chrome rims, just my opinion, but I have a red truck with black fenders/grill/bumper/mirrors/handles.

8. Nov 28, 2008 at 4:35 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Black on SWB. looks awesome.:D (so does the red):thumbsup:

9. Nov 28, 2008 at 4:43 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    x2 ;) When you getting black rims?

10. Nov 29, 2008 at 12:02 AM
    hud445

hud445 [OP] Member

Member:
    Glendale az
    Vehicle:
    08 TACO TRD DBL CAB 4X4 6cyl
    WOW! WTF? Just by posting an opinion/observation I don't respect people??

Dude, chill out.

Q: What is the purpose of a forum?
    A: For opinions & feedback.

11. Nov 29, 2008 at 2:35 AM
    Ridingontrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    About 30 more payments.:D

12. Nov 29, 2008 at 2:39 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i like black rims.........not a fan of chrome at all..........all personal opinion. and its why i put black steelies on my silver 04..............looks friggin killer, and its the theme im going for with my truck. by the way.....im in the southeast!:D

13. Nov 29, 2008 at 3:52 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It's all about the style. My TRD Sport has very little chrome on it stock...Color match bumpers, grill surround, ect...so big chrome rims on my truck woulda looked dumb....they'd be big "Hey look at me" eyesores. (plus chrome is HEAVY)

Trail damage would also be harder to repair-Rechroming versus the rattle can I have already. Also, like chris mentioned...Easier to clean...no polishing or or baby oiling.

My next ride...or my next motorcycle is very likely to have chrome on it.

And yeah...I think it's kinda lame that you started a thread just to say you don't like a truck set up. There are TONS of black tire threads you could go ask "Why do you think this looks good / Why did you do it"...insted of blurting out that you "don't get it"

Don't like it...Don't do it is a good good piece of advice...

(^Just my opinion tho)

14. Nov 29, 2008 at 5:05 AM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    i don't think hes looking for a fight. he just saying they suck.

15. Nov 29, 2008 at 5:12 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Add me to those who don't get the black rim thing.

No disrespect intended when i can honestly say that i always thought (when i would see the black ones) that people bought the new tires first and were saving and/or waitiing for the new rims and the blacks were temporary. I think the polished (1st choice) or maybe chrome looks much better.

As far as the harder to clean point of view, to me, thats like saying you buy beer in cans because its easier to return the empties, even though the bottles taste better.

Again, no disrespect. Until i saw someone else had started this thread, i though it (me not getting the black rim thing) was just me getting old.

To each their own...

16. Nov 29, 2008 at 5:23 AM
    Ridingontrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    Not a fan of chrome is me getting old.:p:D

17. Nov 29, 2008 at 5:28 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    What color rims should go a truck with no chrome accents on it? :confused: I want someone to photoshop some bling rims on my truck for me :D.

18. Nov 29, 2008 at 5:53 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I like my truck, but if I had put it together, I'd not have put any chrome on it at all. I like the black. :)

19. Nov 29, 2008 at 6:05 AM
    tacoma08MZ

tacoma08MZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4
    tinted head/tail lights-blacked out badges-3 inch tuff country lift 33 inch nittos-black steelies custom spare bed mount-hilift-weathertechs-kenwood dnx5120 dvdnav headunit-remote start-painted grille surround-fog lights-grillcraft black mesh grille
    i think it has alot to do with color to, with my truck being all white i loved the idea of blacking the rest of it out rims included

20. Nov 29, 2008 at 6:07 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    My momma taught me to STFU when I had nothing nice to say...Neg Rep for you.

Products Discussed in

To Top