1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Personalized License Plates.....

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by TRDGRL, May 30, 2008.

1. Jun 1, 2008 at 12:21 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    maritime marine academy? as for the lxx

2. Jun 1, 2008 at 12:23 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    maritime marine academy? los angeles airport lol

3. Jun 1, 2008 at 6:00 PM
    TJOPILOT

TJOPILOT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Close on the first half Rick. What state? And you have to get the second half to get the prize!:D

Oh, and I almost make my ships fly but definitely not to any airport!

4. Jun 1, 2008 at 6:13 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    ok i dont think its mixed martial arts. so im goin with massachusetts maritime academy. and lacrosse ( i cheated on this 1)

5. Jun 1, 2008 at 6:28 PM
    TJOPILOT

Member:
    DING DING DING!!! Damn Rick, you got it. Now all you have to do is drive up here to Delaware to claim your case of Coors Light!! ND will be pissed he missed out on this one!!

6. Jun 1, 2008 at 6:58 PM
    TJOPILOT

Member:
    Last one for you guys. Type of vehicle and what the plate means. (Pretty easy) Oh, and I love giving the state money!!!

DSC04034_801dc7feef92555b3bd4a29e32b82ae4b1d839c5.jpg

7. Jun 1, 2008 at 7:32 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    jeep.......river pilot???

8. Jun 1, 2008 at 7:35 PM
    gimli

gimli Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD D-Cab 4x2 LB Silver
    rivalry pilot? not even sure what it means though :D

9. Jun 1, 2008 at 8:25 PM
    TJOPILOT

Member:
    You got it Tacomaman! Way too easy and I know there's pics of my toy Jeep on here. Got a case of Coors Light waiting for you too!!!!

10. Jun 2, 2008 at 2:58 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    sweet.....free beer:D!!

11. Jun 11, 2008 at 1:20 PM
    RioNovo

RioNovo Arizona Native

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    Bed liner, Bed Extender, Vision Shell, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, Sway-A-Way coil overs up front, Deaver 6 pack in the rear, 285/75 R16 L/Ts on blacked out alloy wheels, All Pro Sliders, 1000w Power Inverter, SSB/AM CB, Gray Wire Mod, Constant 12v Power Outlet Mod, Deckplate Mod, Open Door Warning Disabled, More to Come!
    I'm replacing the plate that Arizona issued when I registered my Tacoma. The new personalized one is going to read: 0O0DOD0.

Doing it for "economic" reasons! Anyone wanna take a crack at guessing why?

12. Jun 12, 2008 at 8:30 PM
    RioNovo

RioNovo Arizona Native

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    Bed liner, Bed Extender, Vision Shell, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, Sway-A-Way coil overs up front, Deaver 6 pack in the rear, 285/75 R16 L/Ts on blacked out alloy wheels, All Pro Sliders, 1000w Power Inverter, SSB/AM CB, Gray Wire Mod, Constant 12v Power Outlet Mod, Deckplate Mod, Open Door Warning Disabled, More to Come!
    Arizona MVD shot down my request for a personalized plate reading "0O0DOD0". They said it would make it impossible for the people who process speed trap camera citations to issue a ticket in case one of their cameras snapped a photo of my truck going 1 mph over the limit! I assured them that would never happen, but to no avail - they're sending my money back and don't want to hear from me again! ..So, back to the drawing board!

13. Jun 12, 2008 at 8:56 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    lets se..."zero, Ocean, zero, David, Ocean, David, zero-HERE"S YER TICKET:D

14. Jun 12, 2008 at 9:13 PM
    RioNovo

RioNovo Arizona Native

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    Yer right Ridge, ..on paper it's not difficult to read correctly. However the "O" and the "0" in the font used for Arizona license plates look so much alike that it's almost impossible to tell them apart even with the naked eye. So trying to decipher a photo of such a plate is essentially impossible, causing MVD to simply stop issuing such look alike letter and number combinations on personalized plates. From what I've learned Arizona has now recalled any and all such plates that previously had been issued. So, as I said, its back to the drawing board!

15. Jun 12, 2008 at 9:29 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Hey Rio-damm nice try though-I thought it quite clever...

tehsexehnes likes this.
  16. Jun 13, 2008 at 8:22 AM
    RioNovo

RioNovo Arizona Native

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    The problem is, as many see it, that Arizona cities and the State itself have latched onto this photo radar speed trap technology to basically increase revenue. So you find posted speed limits reduced just enough to cause large numbers of those flowing with the normal daily traffic stream to be sufficiently in excess (11 mph or more) of the limit to be eligible for a photo radar citation - which are pumped out by the thousands each and every day.

The cities are raking in multiple millions of dollars in new revenue on these photo radar devices, ..not to mention what the private companies hired to install and run them are making off the deal. And to top it all off, while the legality of such revenue gathering measures is very much in question, the judicial system that is funded in large measure by such revenue has not been at all favorable towards any arguments against this system.

So, to keep from being victimized by this intrusive and often times concealed system of photo radar revenue, people have long looked for ways to conceal their number plates from the radar camera systems while keeping them visible to those approaching from the rear.

So far Arizona has not outlawed anti photo radar license plate covers, and we have a number of legislators who are determined that such a time will not come - which is a good thing. However the Arizona issued letter and number plate combinations that where next to impossible to accurately decipher from a photo were the preferred way to go for some time, but I guess I got to the station too late to catch that train - which has now been officially sidetracked!

So the anti photo radar plate covers are the best option at the moment, and one that many, including myself, will willingly avail ourselves of. No one is out to break any legitimate laws, but if we're not careful government will find ways to make lawbreakers out of all of us during our most vulnerable moments - and they love sticking huge price tags on their citations and mailing them to those who can least afford it.

$4 and $5 a gallon gas is enough of a punishing tariff already, ..so who can really afford to be caught in some local photo radar speed trap on top of that?

17. Jun 13, 2008 at 4:11 PM
    Anthony999

Anthony999 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    MB Seven X Wheels, Hankook Optima Tires, Billet Grille, Blacked out headlights tailights and third brake light, LEER 700 Series tonneau cover, Blacked out emblems, Wolo air horn, Sony Xplod stereo, 8" Bazooka subwoofer, painted to match bumpers, leather arm rests.
    Im suprised nobodys gotten TWORLD or something like that yet

18. Jun 13, 2008 at 4:51 PM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    Man, I could have gotten TWROCKS if it weren't for my Mom's thing with her boyfriend! I just checked the availability online--looks good too. sigh.

19. Jun 14, 2008 at 11:14 PM
    jagwar

jagwar Member

Member:
    I work with a anesthesialogist and his is "moimoi"...

20. Jun 15, 2008 at 3:58 AM
    bowzerdoo77

bowzerdoo77 U.S.M.C.

Member:
    North Ogden Utah
    Vehicle:
    1997 REG CAB 4x4
    None
    I have a Marine Corps Plate

DSC00413.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top