1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Petition for a Recall on TRD E Locker Actuators

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ckblum, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Apr 13, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    ckblum

ckblum [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Chilliwack, BC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Bilsteins, Light Racing UCA's, Alcan's, Kragen HID's
    I've been without mine for about a year now, finally looked into it today. Long story short it's no wonder these things fail all the time. They aren't sealed very well from factory and have a perfect hiding hole beside the 3rd member to trap salt, grime and moisture! Not to mention the crappy magnesium housing cover that literally fell apart as I took it off!

So I'm posting this wondering why Toyota is not putting out a recall on such a problem? There was recently a recall for the spare tire carriers rusting and falling off and from my research online the E-locker actuator has been a far bigger issue for a much longer time than this recent spare tire recall.

If you agree please take the time to comment on Toyota's Facebook page, under my post there (Tron K Blum), dunno how to link to it. Or just post on the page!

Also feel free to discuss here as well this isn't restricted to just 1st Gens either!

2. Apr 13, 2013 at 4:18 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Because recalls are limited to safety issues. A spare falling off randomly can get someone killed. A locker that doesn't turn on won't.

3. Apr 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    Brian007Taco

Brian007Taco 007Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    If you ask. You don't know me very well!
    Mesa, AZ to NM to OK to UT back to Mesa
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD OR 4x4 DCSB (aka Clifford the Big Red Truck)
    12 OR DCSB 4x4 265/75/16 Goodyear Ultra Terrain wrapped on MB352's. OME 886's w/5100's front and back, and Dakars. Derped Emblems. KM Fab sliders, Mobtown Front and back bumpers w/tire gate, KM Fab Bed Rack, Bestop Supertop, Matt Gecko bed lights. Tree Smashed Taco 06 OR AC Prerunner! OME 885 with 5100's in front, TSB and AAL with 5125's in back. 30" light bar in the valance.
    I was lucky to get my replaced with only 1500 miles left on my extended warranty and 118k on the truck. I have only heard of one other person where their actuator stopped working.

4. Apr 13, 2013 at 5:04 PM
    ckblum

ckblum [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Chilliwack, BC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Bilsteins, Light Racing UCA's, Alcan's, Kragen HID's
    Well it was worth a shot. Thought it was more common of an issue.

I see your point on safety as well. I still feel like Toyota should somewhat stand behind this issue though. I just got quoted $1700 for a replacement actuator from the dealer!!! $1700??? I'd rather buy a new non TRD 8.4 axle and drop in gears and a posi/ARB.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top