1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Philips 921 Reverse LED

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NMTrailRider, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Jul 19, 2015 at 5:34 PM
    MotoMoose68

MotoMoose68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Southwestern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Strut Spacer and block lift, w/33" tires on custom wheels.
    I guess that's why the SS Ultra bulbs are only partially covered in blue coating. The ones I looked at recently had a clear stripe with blue at the top and base.

2. Jul 19, 2015 at 6:21 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    The reason they coat the bulb with a blue film is simply marketing gimmick. The "brighter" white (which is really blue tinted light) is actually dimmer in lumens vs a bulb without the tint. This bluer light also makes it harder for the eye to see at night, but gives the illusion of being brighter.

Seriously dont go much above a 4500K rating... beyond that you get into the situation that makes it harder for the eyes to see even if you are pumping out more lumens.

3. Jul 19, 2015 at 10:24 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    I recently had the stock osram's, the non-ultra silverstars, and the SS ultras in my truck (I talked about them in another thread). All in the course of two days (long story- Sylvania's QA needs some work). And yes, they they get increasingly "whiter" as you move up the line. I finally settled on the Philips VisionPlus +60% bulb, due to its not being coated. Lots of people report very poor visibility with the blue coated "white" bulbs in inclimate weather conditions- something about the white light getting washed out. I know what they're talking about- sometimes when the road is wet, the road just kind of disappears. I really do like the way things look with the whiter light. It's more like daylight in ideal conditions. But I wasn't convinced that they offer considerably better visibility. They're just a different quality of light (that is great in some conditions). I did like them ALL better than stock. But I'm sticking to the non coated bulbs from here on out. The Philips visionplus I am now driving with are much whiter than stock, but they are clear glass just like the stock bulbs. And there's no way they're over 4500. I think I read on the Philips website that they're about 3200 (and the Philips XtremeVisions +100% are about 3400 if I remember correctly). The visionplus are likely similar to stock osram's but with more energy running through them? so yes they are brighter (and whiter) but they'll prob only last about a year.

Yup, the SS ultras have a dark blue band at the tip (low beams) and a lighter blue band toward the base (high beams). The non-ultra SS's have the whole bulb coated in light blue (a similar shade of blue as all the other smaller Bulbs in the SS line).

4. Jul 19, 2015 at 10:40 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Do you know for certain that the blue coated bulbs have fewer lumens? This doesn't have to be the case when comparing two bulbs, if you push more current through the filament of the coated bulb relative to the non-coated bulb (as I tried to explain in a previous post). You'll end up with a similar lumen output in the two bulbs, but different "colored" light output. I don't think it's a gimmic in that they are "less bright". I'd lean toward saying they're equal in brightness, but different in color. There's no question they're brighter than stock- that's why they burn out in a year and the stock bulb lasts several years.

Again, I could be wrong- im just basing this on what I've gathered in my online research the last few days while trying to pick out a new bulb. I just wanted something better than stock that won't burn out in six months! I do appreciate you guys sharing your thoughts. I've learned a ton on this forum and others.

And I'm looking forward to hearing how the Philips 921 reverse LED's work!!! My hopes are high on this one!

5. Jul 19, 2015 at 10:40 PM
    MDB Taco

MDB Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘05 TRDOR DC
    Just to throw in another opinion on Philips LEDs, I've had these in my license plate and parking light spots for a couple months now. All four still going bright and strong. Way better than all the cheap garbage LEDs I'd ordered before. I'd imagine the 921 bulbs would be just as good.

6. Jul 25, 2015 at 2:40 PM
    MotoMoose68

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Southwestern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    So, as I stated in an earlier post, I had ordered the Phillips 921 led replacement bulbs. Turns out, this item only contains a single bulb. I somehow didn't see this and only ordered one. It forced me to change only one at a time and not skip over a comparison of stock and LED in operation.
    So to answer questions, that I know everyone is wondering. The 6K color temp looks good. Is it brighter, no (IMO). That being said, the bulb does work well and due to the cone shaped reflector in the bulb, may focus the light a little better than the stock bulb. I believe this will give a little more distance. Will it turn the area into daytime, not even close.

This items package indicated the 6K color temp and said 180 lumens. The other Phillips 921 led replacement (2 pack) does not give any of this info, and has a different part number. I cannot tell if the bulbs are the same from the Amazon listing of each, but the images of the packages do not indicate 6K color temp, nor lumens.

Hope this helps.

7. Jul 25, 2015 at 8:02 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Bummer. But thanks for the review. I'm going to go for it, too. As i said before, I think our back up cameras are better able to pick up the whiter light. In reading through the reviews last week, I came across one that noted the two separate Amazon listings. The woman called Philips and confirmed that they only make one 921 LED bulb- I'm led to believe the two listings are the same bulb.

I'd contact Amazon and tell them you'd like to return the one bulb and purchase the two pack. They are the same damn price. Easy enough to make that mistake when ordering. Perhaps they'd just send you one more single for free instead of making you go through the exchange process?

8. Jul 25, 2015 at 8:08 PM
    MotoMoose68

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Southwestern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I guessed they were the same, and the different part number was due to the qty packaging. FYI, there was a sticker over the bubble wrap saying once the seal was broken, it was not returnable. The sticker peeled off easily enough, but not the ones on the box. I decided to just order another single, of which they jacked the price up on. Oh well. I hope it will help my Amazon stock.

NMTrailRider[OP] likes this.
  9. Jul 25, 2015 at 9:08 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    What are you running in your map lights?

10. Jul 26, 2015 at 6:46 AM
    MotoMoose68

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Southwestern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I switched to the Sylvania LED 194 bulbs and they are awesome. I also used them at the rear license plate and in the 3rd brake light. They look great at the license plate, but I'm mixed on the 3rd brake location. They are definitely visible and do work, but they seem to be more focused than the stock bulbs and don't make the whole 3rd brake lens glow like stock did. They almost look like I have "blue dots" in the lens.

11. Jul 26, 2015 at 11:50 AM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
  12. Jul 30, 2015 at 10:35 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
  13. Sep 11, 2015 at 6:03 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    You need to put red LED's in there instead. Go to Superbrightleds.com

14. Sep 13, 2015 at 3:29 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Will install this evening. image.jpg

15. Sep 13, 2015 at 4:37 PM
    Dropitmore

Dropitmore Panda Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Downey, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD McDouble Cab
    Mall Crawler Edition
  16. Sep 13, 2015 at 4:39 PM
    1Shifter

1Shifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Outta the black and into the blue
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    Same as everybody else...
    I bought mine at Auto Zone for 9 bucks and change for a 2 pack. They are a big improvement over stock.

NMTrailRider[OP] likes this.
  17. Sep 13, 2015 at 5:16 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    wow. well shit, they didn't have them when I was in the store. they're installed. waiting for it to get dark.

18. Sep 13, 2015 at 5:16 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
  19. Sep 13, 2015 at 5:18 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    I'm running solo tonight, so output pics are gonna be difficult. will try to get a couple from the cab and of the backup can screen.

20. Sep 13, 2015 at 5:23 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Here is some output

20150913_202104.jpg
    20150913_202101.jpg

1Shifter and NMTrailRider[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top