1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Phishing Email on iOS - IT Guys

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Rustytaco71, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Apr 9, 2019 at 7:46 AM
    Rustytaco71

Rustytaco71 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    Hey all,

Feeling pretty stupid currently. Last night while scrolling through my emails I got one from a local dealer that I have gone to stating I was overdue for a milestone service. It all looked like they usually do so I clicked unsuscribe at the bottom so I could stop receiving them. Upon clicking, I was taken to a website that safari labeled as “not secure” in the URL bar, and the website only had a red box with unsubscribe on it. Immediately, I knew I fu**** up and closed the tab. I checked the email again and checked the sender address, and it was a funky email address, not from Toyota. Knowing that I put my phone in airplane mode for a while, then I changed all my passwords (don’t know if I had to), cleared all website and data history through the settings, and restarted my phone. I updated to the newest iOS two days ago as well. I’ve read several online threads of people who did the same with phishing emails and people stating as long as the phone isn’t jailbroken that there shouldn’t be anything to worry about.

To you tech savvy gentlemen/ladies, anything I have to worry about? Nothing was downloaded that I noticed, just took me to a website. My phone hasn’t been acting any different, I’m just trying to cover the basis.

Thanks all.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  2. Apr 9, 2019 at 8:42 AM
    Rustytaco71

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    Called Apple, they stated as long as I didn’t provide any Apple ID information, I didn’t compromise any access to my iCloud data. As far as actual data on the phone such as photos and passwords saved on the phone, Apple stated they would have to physically have my phone in order to attempt any retrieval of such data.

3. Apr 9, 2019 at 8:44 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    @BadDNA is an IT guy maybe he can help you.

Rustytaco71[OP] likes this.
  4. Apr 9, 2019 at 9:02 AM
    Rustytaco71

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    I appreciate it man.

5. Apr 9, 2019 at 10:36 AM
    BadDNA

BadDNA Uh, huh huh... Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eammon
    Cabot, VT
    Vehicle:
    '15 Blue Ribbon Metallic DCLB SR5 4x4
    OME BP-51s, JBA UCAs, Dakar leaf pack, Hammer Hangers, SOS Skids and sliders, Mobtown Tailgate reinforcement, Bussman fuse block, and stuff...
    I'd say you're safe. You took the necessary precautions, and I don't think that you would have had any issues as long as you didn't actually hit the unsubscribe button.

6. Apr 9, 2019 at 10:41 AM
    Tgruetzm

Tgruetzm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB OR MT
    I’d say you’re fine. My hunch is if you clicked the button on the page it probably would ask you to login to finish the process. They’re trying to fool you into disclosing your user/pass. I don’t see how anything would have been disclosed based on your actions.

7. Apr 9, 2019 at 10:46 AM
    Rustytaco71

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    Thanks guys! Added piece of mind for me. That’s what I’ve been uncovering. iPhones don’t seem to really download anything off the internet that isn’t based from the App Store so the possibility of downloading malware onto my phone isn’t there. I really appreciate both of you chiming in though. Thanks!

BadDNA[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top