1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PIAA H3 intense white bulbs-a short review

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Motorshooter, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Motorshooter

Motorshooter [OP] Motorshooter

Member:
    VA-Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab PreRunner SR5 India Ink Pearl
    Front and rear susp TSB-upgrade Bed lid/Tail gate lock Defiant light bar Hella 500’s (2) fresh coat of wax
    Yep, I replaced my stock head light bulbs with PIAA H4 intense white replacement bulbs….thanks for a point to by a few TW posters.
    The difference is staggering. The old bulbs (OEM) were 3 years old. The headlight beam color was yellow-whitish, and did not project well down the road.
    The PIAA bulbs project a cleaner, stronger beam without a yellow cast.
    I can really see the difference in bulb clarity when I have the headlights and the stock Taco fog lights on together. PIAA headlight bulbs-nice clean light, the fog lights look very yellow and don’t high light the sides of the road well.
    Now it’s time to research a good quality H10 fog light bulb, PIAA doesn’t produce one.

2. Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    I'm curious to hear how long they last. I've heard some comments on here about them having a short life. I ended up going with Philips X-Treme and Nokya yellow H10's for fogs (I don't have them yet, just ordered on Amazon, I'll let you know how they do).

3. Motorshooter

Member:
    VA-Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    Front and rear susp TSB-upgrade Bed lid/Tail gate lock Defiant light bar Hella 500’s (2) fresh coat of wax
    I'll keep you posted. To me my old OEM bulbs started to fade around the 3 year mark. I'll be happy if I can get that out of my new bulbs.

Most of the folks I talked to siad they got about 3-4 years from their PIAA bulbs

4. Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Nice, hopefully they hold up, I've heard great things about the performance of their bulbs. I experienced the same thing with my headlights, I'm right at the 3 year mark and started noticing them dulling out. Do you want white fogs also, or are you looking at yellows? I've heard decent things about the nokya bulbs if you want yellow. Otherwise, i'm not sure if the Philips X-treme or Silverstars are available for the fogs but they're good options if you want white.

5. GSRON

GSRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Prerunner
    I too had the intense whites in my 06 Prerunner. I have switched to Hella bulbs as the PIAA's were TOO white to do any good in bad weather. Fog and rain = road side reflectors only and no visible light on the road surface. I might switch back to them in the spring as the dry road performance is hard to beat on low beam. High beam is too high to do much good due to the filament being moved inside the bulb (I compared the PIAA to the Hella and the stock Sylvania bulbs) throwing the reflector to bulb angle off......

I'll be interested to see how the Nokya H10 yellow fogs work as I'm leaning towards them in the future......

PS I had PIAA bulbs in my BMW Motorcycle for 5+ years and never had to replace them......

6. Motorshooter

Member:
    VA-Northern VA
    Vehicle:

I'd like to stay white, I noticed the Nokya white bulbs. The reviews are good on those also

7. Motorshooter

Member:
    VA-Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    I'v had good luck with my PIAA bulbs since I dropped them in. Fog and rain, they really seem to light up the road to where I can see it very well.
    In the fog they put out a good quaility shaft of light

After my bulb upgrade I'll be shopping for a good deal on the Hella 500FF fog light kit.
    Nice beam braodcast out front and a good upclose pattern as well

8. Motorshooter

Member:
    VA-Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    Update-just over a year and both PIAA H4 intense white replacement bulbs burned out in Dec 11.:mad: I put my old OEM bulbs back in...they still do a good job

I won't be spending $$ on PIAA again:(

9. Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Crap... I just went to PIAA Xtreme White bulbs a few months ago. One of my Philips bulbs blew when I got hit and thought PIAAs would be a good replacement, apparently not :(

10. 186000mps

186000mps ..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, Toytec front adjustable coilover kit, Exporear leafs, Fox resi rears, Slotted & Drilled front rotors, 33x12.50 BFG ATs on Outlaw II 15 x 10s, Bushwacker cutout flares, K&N cold air intake with aluminum sheathing water baffles, ARB bumper with XD9000 winch with wireless remote, IPF 900XS lights, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Rhino bed liner, UWS gullwing toolbox with tools and recovery gear. 48" Hi-Lift Jack secured under toolbox.
    F*ck, just going out to put HB3s & HB4s in the 4Runner this afternoon.
    Oh well, we'll see how long they last.

11. XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    PIA makes crap products.

See my review of PIA 510's for reference.

If you want good bright light get some Narva Rangepower 50 bulbs from here http://www.candlepowerinc.com/products.pib.html

Same price, but good lights....and stay away from "filtered" bulbs with that blue tint shit on it. It blocks light - that's what tint does. It only makes you think it's brighter cause it looks whiter. Take the tint off and the same bulb will shine more lumens farther distances.

12. alexander323bc

alexander323bc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Buffalo New York
    Vehicle:
    4cyl access cab
    Its hit or miss with the bulbs had one burn out 3 months after I put them in brand new. The other bullb is still going strong 10 months later. I just picked up 2 extra bulbs the other month So when the burn out I am ready to swap them. Not a big deal just buy the extra bulbs keep em in the truck. Found them on amazon or 4wheel parts for 30 bucks.

13. Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Except for the fact that swapping the bulbs is a royal PITA unless you have some tiny hands. I'd love to meet the bozo responsible for putting the battery right behind one headlight and the windshield washer fluid reservior right behind the other one :mad:

14. alexander323bc

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Buffalo New York
    Vehicle:
    4cyl access cab
    Hey sorry I was referring to the bulbs for the fog lights. I thought i mentioned that sorry :( I put in the ATP 510 for the fogs

15. Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Oh... I've had great luck with the PIAA bulbs in their lamps. I'm going on 3 years for my 520 driving lights and no issues.

16. alexander323bc

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Buffalo New York
    Vehicle:
    4cyl access cab
    I remember Pugga your the one that talked into it :) I am thinking about getting the bulbs for the headlamps now. Till I have the money for HID, Trying to save up for a lift and wheels now.

17. Norton

Norton Senior TW Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 V6 5-Spd SR5 TRD 4x4
    TRD Supercharger; URD 7th Injector; Injen CAI w/Airaid SynthaMax Filter; Magnaflow Cat-back; Wheelers 5-Leafs; OME 881s; Bilstein 5100s; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on 4Runner Ltd 5-Spokes; MetalMiller TRD Skid; B.A.M.F BPV Bracket; Grey Wire, Fog Light, Power Outlet, Door Chime & DRL Mods; FUBAR Moto Bits LED Headlights; Interior, Under-hood, & Reverse LEDs; Kenwood KDC-X895 HU & KFC-C6893PS Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PT Sub & Dynamat; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; External Thermometer; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Rhino Bed Liner; Toyota Bed Extender; SnugTop Super Sport; SolarGard Tint; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Alarm w/Keyless Entry; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    I'm at 3 years, and counting, on my PIAA Intense White headlights. No problems, so far...

18. 186000mps

186000mps ..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, Toytec front adjustable coilover kit, Exporear leafs, Fox resi rears, Slotted & Drilled front rotors, 33x12.50 BFG ATs on Outlaw II 15 x 10s, Bushwacker cutout flares, K&N cold air intake with aluminum sheathing water baffles, ARB bumper with XD9000 winch with wireless remote, IPF 900XS lights, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Rhino bed liner, UWS gullwing toolbox with tools and recovery gear. 48" Hi-Lift Jack secured under toolbox.
    Just finished putting these in my 4Runner. Got my 13yr old son to help get the ones by the reservoir and battery out for me!

19. Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    :eek:

I love the light output from them, but I'll be pissed if they don't even last a year!

If you go HID, make sure you get projectors! I really like these headlights as an alternative to projectors because I didn't want to go through the project of retrofitting.

20. XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

Your right. They are not DOT approved and are from Germany and meet EU standards which are superior to US standards IMO.

With that said as long as you don't get a higher wattage bulb then OE you won't be blinding anyone.

To Top