1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Picked up a supercharged Toyota Tacoma Saturday!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ostrichsak, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Yeah, when I took my truck to Minnesota it absolutely ripped! I am just looking for more power to pull the hills and shit around here... It sucks getting awful mileage because I don't have to power to turn the big tires I threw underneath it :D

2. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    Commanderwiggin

Commanderwiggin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma D/C 4x4 TRD Sport 6MT Supercharged
    No you don't know...the vehicle does not know the octane level of your fuel...it does not know the ethanol content...it knows that it runs on gasoline that should be 91 Octane and <10% Ethanol...the ECU will ADJUST for a lower octane fuel using knock detection...in which case it adjusts timing. You also said there are multiple maps based on fuel octane in a previous post...that is also wrong...one map. And PS...don't tell someone else what to do on an open forum ;)

3. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak [OP] Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    I've been modifying forced induction vehicles for almost 20 years. Don't tell me what I do and don't know because that's just rude. Keep playing this silly semantics game though because you want to seem like you know more than me. I don't give a hobo's crap if you want to keep making yourself look silly. Give a Canadian a truck and a computer and suddenly he knows everything.

[​IMG]

4. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:19 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    ^Lol

Congrats and welcome to the FI club :)

I wish I would see 20. Closest I've ever gotten is 17. Slightly bigger tires and some extra weight with the bumper is about all I've done that (I think) would send the mpg into the crapper. I usually get 15-16mpg.

5. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    I'm hoping I can get some decent fuel #'s but not really planning on it. It will probably do a bit better then my Tundra but probably not quite as well as the Camry Hybrid we traded in on it. :D

6. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    Commanderwiggin

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    What have you been modifying then for the last 20 years lol...I'm interested. I'm trying to educate you on something that you clearly don't know...I never said I knew more than you but it does appear you have a chip on your shoulder.

What engine management systems have you worked with? Personally worked with AEM v1, v2, Autronic, EFILive, ProEFI 128, and soon to be the new AEM Infinity-10...multiple garbage flash tuners as well...so please educate me on how the Tacoma ECU has multiple fuel maps calibrated into it.

7. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
  8. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Really? You never said you knew more than me but you're trying to educate me on something I clearly don't know? Now I'm beginning to bring your overall intelligence into question with statements like that.

Chip on my shoulder? It's because of some blowhard that feels the need to tell the new guy to the forum what he already knows after he's politely made that perfectly clear. Even after a polite and vague post stating I'm well aware and was planning to run premium anyway you still felt the need to tell me what I already know and bring my financial situation into question. Who's the one with the chip on their shoulder?

Now I have to answer to someone who tells me that an engine detects knock and pulls timing (engine theory & application 101) but even if it doesn't that you should run higher octane than is required for 'margin of safety' and then goes on about all his tuning knowledge? Sounds to me like you're not a very good tuner if you need that 'margin of safety' to feel safe by running higher octane. Better just run 100oct for a margin of safety with those stellar tunes of yours because otherwise you're poor, right? Now, allow me to educate you: If there is no pre-detonation present under load then ZERO gains will be had from running higher octane fuel. ZERO. Now run along, I'm not the bear to be poking with a stick to look cool in front of your Canadian friends.

Back on topic...

9. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    bubbagumps

bubbagumps Well-Known Member

Member:
    It is silly to argue about this kind of stuff. Shake hands and just enjoy your trucks.

:broccoli:

10. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:52 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Come on, it's the internet. Everybody's right.

Nice truck and congrats on the purchase. As far as the exhaust, if it's the TRD, it will have TRD etched into the top of the exhaust tip.

11. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    Commanderwiggin

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    Grats on the supercharger...its too bad we couldn't have an educated calm discussion on the topic...but I'm just a dumb Canadian with a keyboard.

12. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Oh, I'm fine. I just want this maple syrup chugging slag to know he's not talking down to a middle-aged woman who bought the truck because it had a nice vanity mirror. I tried to diffuse the situation because I saw it coming before he ever even posted but he just wouldn't let it be. It's pretty self righteous to go around telling people they don't know when you don't even know the first thing about them ESPECIALLY when I said I planned to run premium unleaded. Where do you get off dude? You run out of gravy for your poutine or something?

Ya gawd damn right I'm right! (see, you're right too :D) I'm also not saying this other dude is wrong, he just needs to ease up on the aggression a little but and let people do their thing without feeling the need to 'educate' everyone. It's not like I came in here saying I was going to run regular unleaded and he was trying to teach me right from wrong to save me some money. It was all about asserting who he was and what he knew. Good for you sports fan.

Yeah, I checked after I looked up some pics and there is no TRD and no Magnaflow on the tips. Just clean chrome tips so it may be fabricated or another manufacturer. It's louder than stock, larger plumbing & appears to be made pretty well so I'm sure it will be just fine whatever it is.

13. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Finally, something we can agree on. :D

Look, I have no problem with you personally since I don't know you. I'm just in serious question of your approach to 'educated calm discussions' when you start off questioning their intelligence and financial situation. Doesn't get much more passive aggressive than that. Other than calling my wife & mother a sea donkey it's pretty difficult to start an 'educated calm discussion' with more unrelated insults. See where someone might get a tad bit defensive? It's difficult to approach the conversation from a viewpoint of mutual respect when that's how it begins. This just doesn't seem like the type of thread for the discussion you want to have.

14. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM
    brny67

brny67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    congrats OP truck is bad,now lift it and get some baaaaddddd aassssss tires and post some pics when u start the lift if u decide to...;)BTW welcome to the World.

15. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Don't hold your breath for those pics or you may turn as blue as that emoticon you used. :D This will be a rather pedestrian daily driven truck so a lift and tires to me means lower fuel economy and a harder to reach bed for getting stuff in and out regularly. Truth be told I didn't really set out looking for a supercharger but when the truck was the best deal w/o it and happened to come with one I certainly wasn't going to turn it away. I'm just hoping that the lower fuel economy doesn't make me wish I had. I know it sounds silly but sometimes modified isn't the best tool for the job depending on what that job is.

Listen to me, making it sound like whoa is me because I have a supercharger. lol I'm sure I'll find a way to cope.

16. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Seriously? He said he was putting premium in it after the DEALER bought tank ran out. Why are you even starting shit? So you may know more than him, do you want a cookie? Go make your own thread about how much you know and quit ruining his thread

BTW awesome truck OP. Jelly of the S/C :D

17. Apr 6, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    Congratz! I have the super charger in my Taco and it sucks gas around the city!! It just sits in the garage now because of high gas prices. It's great to have a Volkswagen as a beater to drive around.

All my friends are suprised at how quick a super charged Taco is. You'll be smoking most rice rockets out there. Hehe.

Enjoy your toy!

18. Apr 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    I say if op wants to run anything except premium let him. It's not anyone else's truck except for his. And if it goes ka-boom its not our problem.

19. Apr 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    Nice truck! Im super jelly!

20. Apr 6, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    Blasphemous

Blasphemous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Fernando Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    TRD SC, Stealth Pulley, DTLT Headers, URD MK3 Catback Exhaust, AFE II Intake
    Depending on the driving situations having an SC strapped up could actually increase fuel economy.

Products Discussed in

To Top