1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pickup wire or circuit that runs the dome light.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sg5845, May 22, 2009.

1. May 22, 2009 at 1:11 PM
    Sg5845

Sg5845 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD OffRoad Edition
    Installing some auxiliary LED lights around the bed of the truck. Only want them to be on when something happens (like you unlock the doors or open a door). Thought the dome light would be a good source since it is timed. LED's are really low voltage so I think this would work fine.

Anyone know where to pick this circuit up without having to do it in the headliner itself?

2. May 22, 2009 at 1:30 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Why do you want them tied to the dome light?? Are they for looks or for lighting in the bed??

There was a write up a few weeks back about a bed light install...Complete with a switch in the bed to turn them on and off.

3. May 22, 2009 at 2:04 PM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    Yup. just check my sig. BUT i think he wants them to dim on and off for soem reason

4. May 22, 2009 at 2:40 PM
    Sg5845

Sg5845 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD OffRoad Edition
    I mostly use my truck for my 13 yr. old travel baseball team. The bed lights are for loading and unloading baseball gear in dark ballpark parking lots. I thought of putting a switch in so that when the tailgate drops, they come on but my dorky group of 13 year olds will leave the bed down for hours at the ballpark. I am really looking for a solution "somewhere in the middle" between always on when the tailgate is down and only on when door is open or dome light is on.

Guess I am trying to err on the side of too little. Suggestions are welcome from you guys!

5. May 22, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    regular bed lamps with a switch in the cab seems like a solution for ya

6. May 22, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I tried running my bed lights in series-parallel with the map lights so that the bed lights came on when I clicked the map light on the overhead console. I cut the ground side of the switch wire and ran that side to the bed lights. It worked but the LED map lights and the bed LEDs were pretty dim. The Map LED drops enough that it affects the brightness of the bed LEDs.

I also tried running the map lights through the ground of a relay so it would apply power to the bed lights when I switched on the map light but there wasn't enough current to trip the relay I had. The map light would come on but the relay wouldn't trip. Also, the wire going up to the lights is pretty thin so it'll limit how much current you can pump through there. The relay method would be the best way if you can get it to work. However, tying them to the interior light will cause your bed lights to come on whenever you open your door.

I wound up just putting a switch in the compartment by your left knee and hooking it up to an accessory circuit (requires the keys in the ignition to turn on the lights). The switch is hidden when the door is closed so you're not likely to accidently turn it on and hooking it to the accessory circuit ensures they won't remain on if I take the keys out.

To Top