1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pics of roof w/o headliner, or where to drill for antenna mounts?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JKD, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Jun 28, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    JKD

JKD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    After going through the trouble of installing a hood channel mount for my amateur radio antenna, I find that I don't really like that location and I'm now looking at alternatives. The better alternative is to mount an antenna/antennas in the roof.

My concern was that my SBB5-NMO is a stiff antenna, and I was afraid it would smack something and screw up the sheet metal. My new plan is to drill for two mounts, and use a diplexer to run two plain 5/8 whips, one for 2m and one for 440. They're light, thin, and present less stress to the sheet metal.

Before I go tearing into the roof, though, I would really love to see where people have their NMO mounts. Mine is an access cab...any others?

2. Jun 28, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I just centered on the roof, marked it with a punch, and drilled out to mount my Wilson 1000 CB antenna. The best part is you don't have to pull the headliner. You can access the bottom of the antenna by removing the dome light, and just snake cabling down the a-pillar using a coathanger.

3. Jun 28, 2011 at 7:31 PM
    JKD

JKD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerline is good...I need to figure out how far apart my 2m and 440mhz antennas need to be to avoid interfering with each other too much.

In the access cab, I need to make sure I don't get too close to the satellite antenna, any roof support beams, the roof mounted rear speakers, and any side curtain airbags. It's a fricking mine field!

To Top