1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pin Bearing Issues 2017 Tacoma

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by shopgirl, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Dec 18, 2017 at 6:10 AM
    TacoLongo

TacoLongo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    david
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma
    Shitty Dealer Lift
    I will look my wife mentioned that she thought it looked off but will check on flat ground basically shouldn't look like a lifted bug..... can't get a straight answer from the dealership do you or anyone know what mileage the tires should be rotated at

2. Dec 18, 2017 at 6:20 AM
    Lt. Dangle

Lt. Dangle RIP @stun gun 2016-2020

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 7544
    I'll tell you to check the vendor section and look for headstrong. They have a very good reputation here. Call them and ask. I rotate my tires every oil change.

3. Dec 18, 2017 at 6:24 AM
    TacoLongo

TacoLongo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    david
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma
    Shitty Dealer Lift
    Any recommendations in Missouri.....

4. Dec 18, 2017 at 6:25 AM
    Lt. Dangle

Lt. Dangle RIP @stun gun 2016-2020

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 7544
    Might want to post this in the regional section. Might get more bites.

TacoLongo[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Dec 18, 2017 at 6:33 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Call Marie at @HeadStrong Off-Road to get great recommendations and the best pricing. I don't know where in Missouri that you can take your truck, but when you do get it aligned, you want 3* to 3.5* caster, then Camber and Toe to factory spec. Depending on how much lift you get, anything over 2.5" I would say you def need aftermarket UCA's to get your alignment right.

6. Dec 18, 2017 at 6:47 AM
    VangaSTL

VangaSTL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    If your in Missouri, there's a group of us in the St. Louis area that has done dozens of ECGS bushings. We also have the tool. Where in MO are you located?

7. Dec 18, 2017 at 10:45 AM
    QuicksandTaco

QuicksandTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno TRD Pro 6spd
    URD short shifter, 285/75/16,
    I don’t think that either one of the owners of this truck have any knowledge of vehicles whatsoever. I think both of them need to relax, and I can see why they’ve been labeled as difficult customers. The dealership and Toyota are not out to get you or rip you off, you’re experiencing an issue that Tacoma’s have had for years.

8. Dec 18, 2017 at 1:24 PM
    AlabamaBlackSnake

AlabamaBlackSnake Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    4wd TRD OR 2017 dcsb
    Chrome..lot of chrome
    Wait so big daddy corporate isn’t responsible for keeping those franchised to market and sell their product in line with rules and responsible customer service ?

TacoLongo likes this.
  9. Dec 18, 2017 at 2:18 PM
    Arrampico

Arrampico Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5
    2017 SR5 Silver DCSB 4x4 V6 (RIP - Traded-in for T4R)
    @Texoma do you think a diff bearing could cause a shudder at only a certain speed?

Here's the challenge I'm trying to solve (My baby only has 1500 miles):

So I had rumble/vibes exactly at 20mph when slowing. It's at the exact same time as the truck is downshifting.

Took it to the dealer and got the tsb : leafs and damper.

Still have a small vibe and OCCASIONLLY it's almost non-existent.

Did some troubleshooting on my own and here is what I found:

• Truck in D, accelerated to ~ 35mph shifted into N and coasted to a stop (no braking). Zero rumble/vibe.
    • Truck in D, accelerated to ~ 35mph shifted into N and coasted to a stop (with braking). Zero rumble/vibe.
    • Truck in D, turned on ECT accelerated to ~ 35mph truck still in D and coasted to a stop (no braking). Zero rumble/vibe.
    • Truck in D, turned on ECT accelerated to ~ 35mph truck still in D and coasted to a stop (with braking). Zero rumble/vibe.
    • Truck in D, accelerated to ~ 35mph truck still in D and coasted to a stop (no braking). RUMBLE/VIBE right at 20mph.
    • Truck in D, accelerated to ~ 35mph truck still in D and coasted to a stop (with braking). RUMBLE/VIBE right at 20mph.
    Results seem that this only happens when truck is in D slowing down (braking or coasting) and exactly at the downshift when 20mph.

Thoughts? Should I be concerned? Why is this only durning the downshift right at 20mph?

TIA - Dan

TacoLongo likes this.
  10. Dec 18, 2017 at 2:24 PM
    VangaSTL

VangaSTL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    That sounds like a harmonic right at 20mph. Do you have a lift? I wouldn't be concerned. If your lifted it means the angle of your driveshaft is off causing a slight vibration at that speed. Either a shim or the OME carrier bearing drop could fix that.

TacoLongo and Arrampico[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Dec 18, 2017 at 2:28 PM
    Arrampico

Arrampico Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5
    2017 SR5 Silver DCSB 4x4 V6 (RIP - Traded-in for T4R)
    @VangaSTL No lift - totally stock. Just wondering if it is anything to be concerned about....meaning should I keep going back to the dealer and/or call HQ? My dealer has been pretty responsive and works with me, but I don't want to be an unnecessary PITA if it's just a 'normal' thing. Concerned if it's anything that may cause damage later on.

Of note-my Toyota came from the factory 3/4 of a quart low tranny fluid. I had dealer check at ~ 400 miles and they filled. Thanks to this forum I knew to ask!

12. Dec 18, 2017 at 2:54 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Get some Lubegard shudder fix from Amazon, and a quart or two of Valvoline Max life DexMerc and fill your trans and do temp check to get the trans fluid level right.

TacoLongo likes this.
  13. Dec 18, 2017 at 3:25 PM
    Dacon

Dacon 2017 Tacoma TRD PRO Quikrete

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Gilbert, Arizona.
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO DCSB. DOP 02.20.2017
    TRD PRO Cement 2017 TRD CAI and AFE Magnum Flow Dry Air Filter Camburg KINETIK Series Billet UCA Icon LCA skid plates Icon Coilover extended travel shocks with 700# springs Icon 2" rear shocks Icon RXT leaf springs full pack (new rims and tires soon)
    I did my own lift with Icons front and back, replaced all stock with new parts. Do not have the vibrations on stock needle bearing but I will consider it if needed in the future.
    Also remember to have the drive line angles checked at U-joints since any lift will change the geometry of the drive line.
    Ask around your region who has done lift and bushing replacement and also drive line adjustment and rather pay them than any corner store auto shop that has no idea how to do it the right way.

TacoLongo likes this.
  14. Dec 18, 2017 at 3:26 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    the mistake was letting a dumb ass dealer do your lift.

TacoLongo likes this.
  15. Dec 18, 2017 at 3:30 PM
    Dacon

Dacon 2017 Tacoma TRD PRO Quikrete

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Gilbert, Arizona.
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO DCSB. DOP 02.20.2017
    TRD PRO Cement 2017 TRD CAI and AFE Magnum Flow Dry Air Filter Camburg KINETIK Series Billet UCA Icon LCA skid plates Icon Coilover extended travel shocks with 700# springs Icon 2" rear shocks Icon RXT leaf springs full pack (new rims and tires soon)
    How much extra was the "lift" added to the truck bill? Did they put "bricks" in the back between the rear axle and leaf springs to lifted?...the sway will be a lot.

16. Dec 18, 2017 at 5:50 PM
    TacoLongo

TacoLongo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    david
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma
    Shitty Dealer Lift
    Springfield area

17. Dec 18, 2017 at 5:54 PM
    TacoLongo

TacoLongo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    david
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma
    Shitty Dealer Lift
    So we reported it the day after we bought it only had 30 miles on it and they wouldn't do anything until 15,000 miles..... Appreciate your input it was helpful

18. Dec 18, 2017 at 5:57 PM
    TacoLongo

TacoLongo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    david
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma
    Shitty Dealer Lift
    True but we thought it would of been done right figured we had a warranty and couldn't imagine having problems with a new only 30 miles Toyota

19. Dec 18, 2017 at 5:59 PM
    TacoLongo

TacoLongo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    david
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma
    Shitty Dealer Lift
    No bricks probably a little too much but thats ok figured it was helping a family member out.... we figured wed of been taken care of lesson learned

20. Dec 18, 2017 at 6:00 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    see you think you have warranty. But you really don't.
    If you look at your actual warranty its with Toyota Corporate not the dealer. And if you went to another dealer that lift is not covered.
    its just the dealer you got it from trying to make extra money etc and somewhat hiding it.

But I've asked toyota corporate about this very thing. What dealers choose to do is up to them but its clear in the warranty anything outside of TRD or OEM parts is not actually covered.

Besides you're asking a dealer to do it, its not their main thing like an aftermarket shop would do. So they might not be as aware of the needle bearing problem.
    Regardless you can replace that bearing and all your problems will go away.

Products Discussed in

To Top