1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

pinion seal problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by currierstaco, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Apr 9, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    currierstaco

currierstaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Little Rock AFB
    Vehicle:
    05 sport pkg 3in lift on 20s and terra grappl
    spyder headlights, hids all around, painted bug deflector and window gaurds, 20s and terra grapplers, ready lift kit front, add a leaf rear, led tails and third, billet grille top and bottom, 2 polk audio mm1240dvc subs behind rear seat, hifonics 1000.1 amp, jvc deck, power acoustics 5 farad capacitor.
    2005 taco driver side pinion seal where cv comes out of front axle is leaking. went cheap and ordered seals from online cuz didnt want to spend the 40 from toyota to get there seal but have now replaced it twice now with the aftermarket ones and still leaks. has anyone had this problem before and is it worth getting the seal from toyota and will theres fix the problem?

2. Apr 9, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    You mean CV axle seal right? Did you check if CV is scored? Too wobbly? Did you put seal correctly?
    I usally go with Toyota parts as this is best bet for quality. Aftermarket parts are hit and miss. Sometimes they perfect sometimes are not. If it is leaking I would try getting Toyota seal but pay attention to shape of CV. Put some grease on the seal lip when installing. Seals are quite often damaged during installation. Had that happen to me.

3. Apr 9, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    currierstaco

currierstaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Little Rock AFB
    Vehicle:
    05 sport pkg 3in lift on 20s and terra grappl
    spyder headlights, hids all around, painted bug deflector and window gaurds, 20s and terra grapplers, ready lift kit front, add a leaf rear, led tails and third, billet grille top and bottom, 2 polk audio mm1240dvc subs behind rear seat, hifonics 1000.1 amp, jvc deck, power acoustics 5 farad capacitor.
    Alright i appreciate it. i just need to suck it up and fork over the money. theres no wobble or nothing and the CV looks fine so hopefully it works. Will post pics of job when done

4. Apr 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Not sure How many you have done but they can be tricky sometimes to get just right.

Also check the shaft that goes through the seal to see if there is any nicks in it before you shove through. Sometimes the spline can have a sharp edge that cuts the rubber when putting the shaft in. You can use tape on the bad parts. And if its the spring type be carefull not to knock the spring off.

Another thing is the cheap one might only be a single lip and the toyota could be double or triple lip?

And grease it up like in the photo. This is the type of oil seal you are talking about? Photo came from http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota-truck-tech/475982-wrong-way-change-pinion-seal.html not the same seal but a seal is a seal.

DSC08463.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top