1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pioneer Avic N1 in 01-04 TACO's?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by jlwilsonjr, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Nov 8, 2008 at 10:30 AM
    jlwilsonjr

jlwilsonjr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Has anyone attempted to install this unit? I'm about to give it a shot and was looking for any advice or tips. I'm really unsure where the VSS wire is loacted so any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Nov 10, 2008 at 3:10 PM
    goin3d

goin3d Member

Member:
    I just finished an install in an 09 xrunner of the pioneer avic 900bt unit. Maybe I can help ya with the wires you're trying to locate? by VSS do you mean the speed sensor?

3. Nov 10, 2008 at 3:19 PM
    jlwilsonjr

Member:
    yes I'm worried about the speed sensor parking brake and reverse wires not sure where they are and where I should splice into them. Any info is greatly appreciated.

4. Nov 10, 2008 at 3:29 PM
    goin3d

goin3d Member

Member:
    ok..on my 09:

The speed sensor wire was accessible on the drivers side fuse box. (below and to the left of the steering wheel). The wire was purple with a white stripe. In the fuse panel you should see one plug that is black. The rest are white.

The parking break wire is green with a yellow stripe. There are actually 2 wires meeting that description in the fuse box and both are in 18 pin plugs. You're looking for the one that is in pin position #5 and should be in the left hand side of the fuse box.

I hope this helps! (But remember this is based on my 09. I know this layout was the same on the 08's)

5. Nov 10, 2008 at 6:32 PM
    jlwilsonjr

Member:
    Thanks for the info i will keep that in mind.

6. Nov 10, 2008 at 7:00 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    just fyi, splice the parking brake wire in the harness to the chassis gound in the harness to be able to change addresses and watch video while driving down the road...its a pain to have to pull over and throw it in park to change an address...yeah, thats it...lol

7. Nov 11, 2008 at 4:42 PM
    jlwilsonjr

Member:
    Do i still need to do that if I have had the latest mod done .....board soldiering?

8. Nov 11, 2008 at 9:27 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    ahh...updated discs and the soldering...that i dunno. i'm still running the 40's b/c of the soldering issue. i think you still have to...but if you do it and it doesnt work and says the parking brake wire is grounded, then u can always undo it. do a search on avic411.com and u should be able to get a definate answer though

9. Dec 8, 2008 at 10:17 AM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    Hi, goin3d
    I have a question, how much is it for the wire harness connect from the new head unit to the exisitng OEM wire harness? and also how much are they??

10. Dec 8, 2008 at 5:30 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    u can get the basic wiring harness from an autozone or advanced auto for around $10. it will not keep the steering wheel controls or the AUX port

11. Dec 9, 2008 at 5:21 AM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    Thanks, the basic wire harness is it the one that you hook up from the OEM harness to the new Pioneer stereo wire harness?
    Also the PAC will work on the after market stereo with the steering wheel control, am I right?
    How much will be the PAC that will fit on the 09? can you give me some link ithat I can get it on line?

12. Dec 9, 2008 at 1:44 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    yeah, the $10 harness will go from the pioneer to the stock wiring. the PAC will work for the steering controls. most places are about $40-50. http://www.crutchfield.com has them, but u can check ebay as well

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Dec 24, 2008 at 6:33 AM
    jlwilsonjr

Member:
    Well finally got around to getting it installed. Install went fairly easy just taking everything out was the hardest part. Just FYI incase you have a bypassed AVIC N1 you have to ground out the parking break wire off the unit even if you've done the latest bypass. Thanks for the info and replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top