1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pioneer AVIC w8400NEX install review

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Bwthomas77, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Aug 12, 2018 at 12:12 PM
    Bwthomas77

Bwthomas77 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    12 dbl cab trd sport 6spd
    Supercharger, flowmaster exhaust, 4runner disc brakes, Volant CAI, ECGS bushing
    I just pulled the 8000NEX and installed the AVIC w8400nex in my 2012 TRD sport.

The wireless carplay is a very nice improvement. I used the idatalink maestro rr which gives access to the OBDII which the 8000 could not do, which is also worthwhile.

I had considered switching to the 8200 for just the gauges, and I definitely don't think it would have been worth it. The install for the w8400 was just as much a PITA as it was the first time with the 8000NEX and the RR has even more wires that have to get stuffed into a cramped space. I did get the backup camera to work as well. Mic is installed where the OEM one used to live, it is drilled to accommodate it. Not sure I love the way it looks but I'm stuck with it since that's what I did for the 8000NEX and the plate is not sold separate.

Overall, not sure the expense and the effort was worth the upgrade but I think once the pain of the install fades I will probably be very happy with the wireless carplay in the long term. The head unit is also top notch but besides the wireless functionality and RR integration with OBDII, largely the same.

If anyone is interested I've listed my old unit and SW maestro on ebay. It's got the tacoma harnesses in place so would be a little easier. That said, radio installs suck.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183375657393

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Aug 19, 2018 at 12:59 PM
    gilkman

gilkman New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black Tacoma TRD
    4 inch lift
    Thanks for sharing. I have a 2012 with the original JBL audio system and was considering the AVIC 8400.

I can take apart the dash thanks to Youtube. A little concerned about getting the existing backup cam, GPS, siri microphone etc to work. Would you outsource it if you had to do-over?

3. Aug 19, 2018 at 4:19 PM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    How do you feel about the upgrade from the 8000 to 8400, are available features worth the $800? I have a 6000 and have been thinking about upgrading but would likely not have many of the install issues you do.

4. Aug 19, 2018 at 7:36 PM
    Bwthomas77

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    I’d do it again. Like the wireless CarPlay a lot, makes it worth it.

Now that the pain of the install is over I’d say I’d still do it myself. I need to go back to the hookup for the backup cam so I’ll shoot a pic. It is not bad to get to work. The gps is simple as it uses it’s own antennae which I just shoved under the dash. I researched extensively but don’t think there is any way to get the oem mic to work, I used the pioneer but mounted it in the same spot.

I would say be comfortable with wiring diagrams and many connections if you want to tackle on your own but it is really not a overly technical project. You will need a bunch of heat shrink, solder, and the rr maestro with the t01 harness makes everything pretty easy to connect and use the radio to its fullest extent.

I don’t think I’ll ever replace this radio, can’t imagine something coming along that would supersede it. That said, thought the same thing with the 8000 when I put it in.

5. Aug 19, 2018 at 9:29 PM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    I have an 11 so my camera is in the rearview mirror. I had no issues with the install of the 6000, my only holdup is whether the upgrade is worth the money.

6. Aug 20, 2018 at 10:16 AM
    Bwthomas77

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    In the '12 the rearview mirror is also where the backup camera shows up. You can splice into the output on driver's side and have 'mirror' images.

It's hard to say if it'd be worth the money and PITA to change it out for the upgrade - as it really is personal if the increased functionality is worth the dollars. I was in the same dilemma and pulled the trigger. I think the wireless carplay is worth it to me. The gauges from the OBDII I could have lived without but are nice to have. The whole unit seems a little snappier and quicker to boot. It also times out the warning screen after about 5 seconds and goes past it.

For me the wireless carplay feature was what sold me on pulling the trigger, and in that respect it's worth it to me. I have not upgraded the iphone, still have a 7 as the newer features don't seem worth it to me. Carplay/android auto is probably the best feature of these radios and not having to plug it in everytime is very nice. If you don't really care about the wired interface or if you don't use carplay much I'd say stick with what you've got. If you're on the fence about the money then you may want to give it some time and prices will fall when these units aren't so new.

MY 2c.

7. Aug 21, 2018 at 5:56 PM
    Bwthomas77

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    So here is where I hooked into the rear video (left of driver's side under the fuse box, second connector down):IMG_3454.jpg

I first connected by sodering the ends and then shoving them into the connector. Not exactly secure. I ended up just using cheap splicers.
    IMG_3458.jpg IMG_3461.jpg
    The end result is a mirror image of the rearview mirror.

8. Oct 21, 2018 at 2:16 PM
    mmecca

mmecca New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2006 Hyundai Azera
    Double din avh-8000
    Hi - I don’t have a Tacoma but I’m very interested in this install because I have an AVH-8000-NEX. Could I use the existing harness and just plug and play if I wanted to upgrade or is it more complicated than that? Thanks!

9. Oct 22, 2018 at 3:13 AM
    Bwthomas77

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    I actually was hoping it would be plug and play as well, it’s not though. The harness connected to the head unit is a little different.

That said I am really loving wireless CarPlay and the additional functionality of the obd2 connected is nice. The wireless CarPlay is definitely what made it worthwhile to me.

Products Discussed in

To Top