1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by mountainwolfpup, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Dec 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup [OP] Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    I'm doing a stereo install / upgrade. My new HU has some special capabilities, mainly it can act as a 3-way active crossover (H-M-L, instead of the standard front/rear/sub outputs). I am seriously considering going this way? But am also freaked out about destroying my speakers.

Has anyone done an active crossover stereo setup?

Do I absolutely need to use three separate amps for the high, medium, low? Or, can I use my single 5-channel amp? I ask because all the info on active crossover show using separate amps but never explain why.

As I understand it I'll need to turn off the passive crossovers on my amp, and probably cut the passive crossovers off my speakers. This is where I am somewhat freaked out.

Here is the gear I have for the stereo now:

Head unit: Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Amplifier: Alpine MRX-V70
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C (front doors), Alpine SPR-60 (back doors), JL Stealthbox 10" W3v3 subwoofer

I guess I'd have to find a way to cable the tweeters and woofers in the 2way speakers in the rear doors separately. And I guess I'd need 4 channels for tweets and 4 channels for the woofers, and 1 for the sub. Geez! And I'm not even sure that would work out right. Seems like most folks doing an active setup leave out the rear speakers altogether. I'm not sure if I'd like that.

Anyway, I'm starting tomorrow. Going to wrap my doors with Dynamap and see how far I get from there. Plan to be finished by next weekend. I'll have time to cable things either way so please weigh in if you've tried an active setup.

Thanks.

2. Dec 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM
    HighTQCummins

HighTQCummins Instagram: stormtrooptaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '12 SW DCSB Sport
    5% all around, derp'd wheels, FMS40, 30" E-Series, 55w 6k bi's, 35w 5k fogs
    long story short, you need to do some reading on actively crossing speakers.

You can run your 5 ch amp, but you will have no rear channel. basically what this is doing is sending all the freq's that go to the tweeters to a pair of channels (1 and 2 or front) freq's that would go to the mids to a pair of channels (3 and 4 or rear) then of course low would go to the woofer amp, or in your case the sub channel. this now means instead of running just 1 + and 1 - speaker wire to each front door, you now need a pair, one for the + and - of the tweets, and one for the + and - of the mid because your passive crossovers are being eliminated.

There isn't a whole lot to understand about setting up a 3 way active for BASIC tuning, just need to know a little about each driver, what freq response they have (tweets may be 4300-20kHz+ just as an example) and setting your crossovers in the headunit to suit them best.

Best bet would to be leave it on regular front rear and sub for the time being and do some reading and learning about active. Its actually pretty interesting

P.S. did someone recommend you get this unit at some stereo shop, or did you do some research about it first before deciding this is the unit you want?

3. Dec 11, 2012 at 10:41 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup [OP] Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    I wanted the HU. Was reading about the famed Pioneer "Stage 4" line, but that was out of my price range. The deh-80prs is a knock-off of that lineage.

Anyway, I probably should get this done at a stereo shop, but am doing it myself. I got all the dynamat in today. Took about 6hrs to do all the doors. A lot of work.

I plan to wire in the components tomorrow. And based on your feedback and my Google searches I guess I'll do a standard setup.

Maybe I'll re-cable it some day in an active setup. I like the idea. But I'm in over my head on it. I know the standard setup well and what I'll get from it.

Thanks for the info.

4. Dec 12, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    the built in voltmeter is way off

Products Discussed in

To Top