1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pistol for my girlfriend

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by GA_TACO4x4, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Aug 4, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    My wife loves her Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite in 38 Special. We use wad cutters for practice and Federal Hydra-Shok for real.

2. Aug 4, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    gunconnection

gunconnection FFL Gun Dealer

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    White Marsh, MD
    Vehicle:
    09TRD Sport Double Cab
    OME 886 Coils and Struts Fabtech Control Arms Custom Made Rear Leaf Springs w/2.5" Blocks Bilstein 5100 rear shocks
    I would take her to a range that offers rentals and let her try a few handguns before making a decision. I've been in the gun business for over 11 years and it's been my experience that just as many first time female gun owners buy a semi-auto as a revolver. If you have any questions or need pricing on a new gun, please send me an e-mail.

3. Aug 6, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    yodanoob

yodanoob Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NC
    Vehicle:
    bone stock prerunner
    take her to a gun show and just let her look to see what feels right to her then take her to a range that rents or call up some friends that have what she wants to shoot. what is most important here is that she is comfortable with the gun and well practiced remember dry practice doesn't cost anything. Do keep in mind that if she isn't comfortable with the gun then she won't carry it and that defeats the point of getting it in the first place.

4. Aug 7, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    09TRDSpt

09TRDSpt African Light Infantry

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Totally agree with Dimonback, don't think just because she is female she needs a small size firearm. Like he says the recoil and muzzle rise is greater. I started out down that road with my spouse. Then she adopted one of my old full size CZ75s. That is the most accurate and controllable for her. Don't think I'll ever get that one back.

I wouldn't limit yourself to just pocket rockets especially for a 1st piece.

5. Aug 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    harvey

harvey New Member

Member:
    Good observations. My wife found the revolver, Taurus .38 Spl 2" easier to operate when I instructed her to learn to yell "FMF" and aim if an intruder appears. Pistols are easier and more foolproof and safer to operatefor most shooters and many people shoot only infrequently.

6. Aug 7, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    I have a glock model 36 in .45 cal that will fit her hand PERFECT!! :)

7. Aug 7, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    CZ75b. FTW.

It's not the caliber people it's what ammo you put in it.

8. Aug 7, 2010 at 3:55 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    Not agreeing with you much on the load/unload of a revolver over a semi.
    Loading a clip is going to be way quicker with a semi as opposed to a revolver loading individual bullets. Try loading a semi with your week hand and the try loading a revolver.

9. Aug 7, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    Whatever you get, make sure it's simple. Especially if it's for defense. Ex: No external hammer, double action, no thumb safety etc.

I'm partial to the Glock 26, but it's whatever she is comfortable with, remember that.

10. Aug 7, 2010 at 6:26 PM
    GA_TACO4x4

GA_TACO4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    here 'n there
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 4x4
    marathon superhide max-4 seat covers, weathertechs, maglite mod, 20% tint, 2" leveling kit, leaf spring tsb.
    thanks for all the imput guys. sorry i havent replied lately. none of the gun shops around here will rent guns, but i myself have a XD-9 i plan on letting her shoot to get a feel of. along with a kel-tec 32 and a few other random pistols. but i gotta agree, a revolver will be simplist and safest. hopefully i can find a gun show to take her to soon and let her handle a few.

11. Aug 7, 2010 at 7:15 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Another vote for a S&W stubby revolver. You aren't asking the gun to be a tack driver. Studies have shown that if you really need a fire a gun for protection then it will usually be less, and even way less, than 20 feet. I like the 642-2 .38+P Airweight. It's one of the J-frame revolvers.

One other feature to consider is the addition of a Crimson Trace laser. The fear it will put in the bad guy might make him turn and run without even firing.

12. Aug 7, 2010 at 9:13 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    caliber isn't all that important, it's more what she's comfortable shooting. I've seen people walk (yes, walk, as in "no, I'm not dead") into the ER with half their face gone after a 12 gauge, and I've seen a 9mm go "between the eyes" and the girl was discharged the next morning.

My point is, there's no "magic" bullet that'll stop everyone. Get her something she likes, will practice with, is comfortable with, and teach her to squeeze that trigger til the threat is done.

Edit: If you don't have shops close by, where are you? Maybe some TW members will meet you at a range with what they have?

13. Aug 11, 2010 at 8:54 AM
    huntark03

huntark03 I'd rather be hunting!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Maumelle, AR
    Vehicle:
    2005 Limited Tundra DC 4X4
    Spidertrax Wheel Spacers aFe Pro Dry Drop in Air Filter Weathertech Liners Bilstein 5100s w/ OME 885 coils and ToyTec 1.5" AALs Light Racing UCAs
    Check out the Bersa Thunder 380!! I bought my wife one brand new for under $300.00! It is modeled after the Walther PPK (sp).

Products Discussed in

To Top