1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pix of my Cascade Thermo-acoustic hood liner install..

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DubVeeTaco, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Mar 8, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    DubVeeTaco

DubVeeTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    '10 Off Road, 4x4, V-6, M/T
    Bed Mat, WV Hitch Cover, 265/75 R16 Cooper Discoverer ATR's, XM, Rear leaf TSB, front 5100's at 1.75..
    So, I purchased a thermo-acoustic hood liner from parts-express.com, in an attempt to muffle the notorious 'tacoma tick' that i hear from 1,500 - 2,500 rpm when accelerating up a grade.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=268-280

The install was pretty straightforward, consisting of 1) cleaning the underside of the hood, 2) lining up the hood liner, so as not to cover the drain holes, 3) getting someone to help with holding the liner up and applying it, 4) starting at the bottom (closest to the windshield) and working your way up, adhering the liner to the underside of the hood, and finally, 5) trimming any excess liner.

Attached are pics of the finished install.

I have to say, the truck is a lot quieter at idle. I do still hear the "tick" under acceleration, but it's a lot less noticeable, making it easier to live with on a day-to-day basis.

Tip: Use a straightedge or other flat guide for trimming the top of the liner where it meets the weatherstripping at the front of the hood. I did it without a guide, and it came out looking pretty bad. Fortunately, I added another strip from what was left over to cover it up, and it looks a little better. (The strip is what is seen in the second pic.)

I took a pic of the drain hole at the lower right hand (driver's side) of the hood that I took care not to cover. There are three or four of these on the hood.

Finally, I covered up the windshield washer hose. Some of you may want to cut this out and route it around the liner.

DSCN3332.jpg
    DSCN3333.jpg
    DSCN3334.jpg

2. Mar 8, 2010 at 2:52 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    I think I would have turned up my radio for $99.60............I don't know how long you have owned your Toyota but after about 6 months in mine I just never really noticed it anymore..............good luck..............

3. Mar 8, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    tarandus

tarandus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD SR5 DCab OR
    ToyTec 2.5" Bilstein/Eibach lift w/rear AAL, WeatherTec mats, Leer topper, Sock Monkey decals; Grillcraft
    Seems like a good idea if you've got the $$. Have you noticed more noise coming through the firewall now?

4. Mar 8, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    That will make the engine run hotter
    Just saying

5. Mar 8, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    blazze2005

blazze2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-Runner Sport
    Fuel Off-Road Octane Wheels,Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/65/17.Grillcraft,Borla Exhaust,Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover,Pop n Lock Tailgate Security,Custom Wet Okle TRD Seat Covers,Catch-All Matts,Gatorback Belt,Shorty Antenna,Toyota Bed Matt,Sirius Radio,Vent Sades,20% Lumar Window Tint
    yes that's gonna reflect the engine heat back down onto the engine

6. Mar 8, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    DubVeeTaco

DubVeeTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    '10 Off Road, 4x4, V-6, M/T
    Bed Mat, WV Hitch Cover, 265/75 R16 Cooper Discoverer ATR's, XM, Rear leaf TSB, front 5100's at 1.75..
    I got the idea from another taco owner who has been using this product for a while and liked the results. I don't think it's going to make a difference with engine temp -- if anything, it'll get up to operating temperature faster, which could actually be better for the engine. Right now, it runs at exactly the same temp as before. I'll have to wait and see if there's any difference when it's really hot out this summer.

I don't hear anything noticeable coming through the firewall. I took a look at my '97 taco, and saw that the hood was lined with insulation from the factory as well. I think that Toyota, for some reason, just stopped doing this with their hoods. Anyway, I'm happy with it.

To Top