1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pixel 6/Pixel 6 Pro | BT Issues

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Cool_Calm_B, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Jan 6, 2022 at 10:44 AM
    Willdesign78

Willdesign78 New Member

Member:
    Hi All,

I have a 2019 Tacoma and just switched from a Pixel 5 to the Pixel 6 and had this same frustration where bluetooth kept on dropping about a minute into my phone call. I would then have to switch to speaker on my phone in order to continue talking on the phone. I ended up finding that the new Pixel 6 has everything wanting you to go through Google Assistant for "Safety" reasons. I went through the settings and made sure to set up so that Google assistant knows to switch over to driving mode once it detects that I am in the truck and bluetooth is connected. Yesterday was the first time I was able to have a phone conversation not drop out on me at all. A little bit annoying when I saw that some of you contacted Google and were told that it was a vehicle software problem. I noticed that this was happening to several makes and models and knew that it wasn't going to be vehicle software compatibility but rather Google changing things on their software. It seems to be that most of the initial articles I was seeing were telling you to set up your phone through Android Auto, but since Toyota offered Android auto as of 2020 the only other option is enabling "Driving Mode" with Google Assistant on the phone. Not as nice or convenient as the Pixel 5 was and annoying to have to go through Google Assistant to use your phone in your car but so far it has been working for me. Below is a link to hopefully help with setting up "Driving Mode". Good Luck!

https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/10217503?hl=en

https://www.androidpolice.com/firin...ut-a-new-tweak-might-make-it-easier-for-some/

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    Cool_Calm_B[OP] likes this.
  2. Jan 6, 2022 at 11:04 AM
    Cool_Calm_B

Cool_Calm_B [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tacoma TRD OR

That is one thing I have not tried! At this point, I have been resorting to using my phone on speaker when getting a call like you were. I was holding out hope for a fix in the update that has now been pushed to later on this month. Thanks for this information, I'll give it a try and report back!

Willdesign78[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Jan 7, 2022 at 10:13 AM
    Spfx99

Spfx99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD PRO
    Pixel 6 pro handles bluetooth way better than my oneplus and samsung phones. I was having issues with call quality. Dealer replaced my microphone and headunit. Neither helped, so I swapped out the headunit for the JVC 10.1 screen. That fixed everything plus added more volume, and better sound quality over the stock JBL system my Pro had.

4. Jan 7, 2022 at 7:47 PM
    geoff w

geoff w Well-Known Member

Member:
    malibu
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma 4x2 SR5
    2014 Tacoma with Entune paired with Pixel 6 Pro (on November firmware) and calls dropped like crazy. I tried a bunch of stuff and changing AVR CP version to 1.4 is what ultimately solved my problem. I tried a couple of other things suggested on reddit, and someone even sent me the latest Entune firmware, but ultimately after trial and error I tracked it down to AVR CP version 1.5 and higher causing problems, but version 1.4 worked. Interestingly enough, my Pixel 3a was set to AVR CP version 1.5 and didn't have any problems

5. Jan 8, 2022 at 12:14 PM
    Cool_Calm_B

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:

Just went into developer mode and switched it down to 1.4 so we'll see if that works. I tried what @Willdesign78 suggested about driving modes but unfortunately my call still drop off the Bluetooth after changing those settings.

6. Jan 17, 2022 at 10:21 AM
    Cool_Calm_B

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Well, google finally released the update everyone has been waiting for. I will say my phone is operating a bit smoother after installing, which gave me hope that the BT issue was corrected as well. Went out right after it completed, made a phone call and it dropped just as it has been doing :boom:

I saw on a reddit post that enabling Gabeldorsche in the development settings might be able to correct the issue but at this point, I'm not holding my breath. Hope someone has done the update and seen more success than me.

galaxyz likes this.
  7. Jan 17, 2022 at 11:55 AM
    geoff w

geoff w Well-Known Member

Member:
    malibu
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma 4x2 SR5
    Before the update I finally stopped having dropped calls. Then today calls dropped again :(

Enabling Gabeldorsche only works until the next phone restart, then it goes back to the default disabled state. It's a newer implementation of the Bluetooth stack on Android

8. Jan 26, 2022 at 1:47 PM
    tacoma_n8

tacoma_n8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    hey guys, do you know if any aftermarket HU that will work with our pixel 6 pro?

I may opt to upgrade my HU, i take lots of calls due to work and this issue is driving me crazy lol.

9. Jan 26, 2022 at 4:32 PM
    Madtiger

Madtiger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Isn’t it cheaper to change phone?

10. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:10 PM
    tacoma_n8

tacoma_n8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Currently using ear buds for calls, but I wouldn't mind a new HU that doesn't drop calls and has android auto.

11. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:38 PM
    aturk

aturk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Charlotte, NC
    I have the same issue for approximately the same amount of time on my iPhone. Popped up after a software update.

12. Feb 9, 2022 at 5:22 AM
    gchglobal

gchglobal New Member

Member:
    I have been trying everything to fix the problem (well, I haven't replaced my radio), but I've gone through a dozen options like A2DP, Gabeldorsche, AVRCP, etc.

I may have found a temporary solution, stress may have. It seems for the last two days if I keep the phone's display on while on the call it does not disconnect from the bluetooth. I changed the Settings > Display > Screen Timeout and turned on Screen Attention. I have the phone positioned in a holder facing me so it stays on. You can also switch to always on if you are charging it in the car within Developer Options. A third option may be an app like Wakey that you can control certain apps and keep them on when using them, but I have not tried that. So far it has seemed to work on all calls. I've even had a call on for 10 minutes and then I hit the power button to have it go back to the lock screen and after about 30 seconds to a minute it does what it normally did and disconnect from the bluetooth.

I would love to have someone else try this and see if it works for them.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  13. Feb 9, 2022 at 10:21 AM
    Cool_Calm_B

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:

Well sounds like you've done all the things i've tried. This sounds promising and something I haven't tried yet. I'll give it a go and report back with the results.:fingerscrossed:

14. Feb 15, 2022 at 2:09 PM
    Cool_Calm_B

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:

Tried changing my display settings but no luck. Call last a little longer but it dropped as it has been doing. Sigh....at a lost at this point.

15. Feb 16, 2022 at 4:51 AM
    gchglobal

gchglobal New Member

Member:
    Odd how different solutions seem to work for some but not most. You would think Google could come up with one simple solution for everyone.

So your display stayed on and yet the call still disconnected from bluetooth at some point or are your calls dropping completely?

16. Feb 17, 2022 at 11:06 AM
    Cool_Calm_B

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    With the display on the Bluetooth connection drops with my truck. On my phone it looks as though the connection is still active but it's not. So I fumble with turn off the Bluetooth on my phone and getting the call on speaker phone so I can continue my call. It's to the point where I don't really connect my Bluetooth anymore because of the process of continuing my call when it drops.

This is my first high end flagship phone in years and I'm less than impressed. Normally I just go with middle tier phone that has the basic covered but of course the one time I decided to go all in, I run into issues. Comical really lol

17. Feb 23, 2022 at 10:43 AM
    Draconeus

Draconeus New Member

Member:
    I have had this maddening issue ever since upgrading to the Pixel 6 Pro. I had a Pixel 2 XL before and had zero issues. I have tried every troubleshooting option in this thread, and nothing worked, EXCEPT for leaving my screen on during calls. If you're still having the issue, I recommend trying that. I'm not sure if these Developer Options help, but I have these settings changed from default as well.

Screenshot_20220223-134134.jpg

18. Feb 23, 2022 at 10:50 AM
    RacerX1911

RacerX1911 Active Member

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    What head unit do you have? I have the Pixel 6 Pro on the head unit that came with the limited package (here in Canada I think they call it "tech" package) and I don't think I have ever had a dropped call, but looking at the reddit post and these, I don't know if its a Toyota issue or a Google issue... please keep us updated!

19. Feb 23, 2022 at 10:57 AM
    Draconeus

Draconeus New Member

Member:
    I have a 2018 Tacoma Off-Road, it has the tech package. I cannot tell whether it's a problem with the Bluetooth in the truck or the Bluetooth on the Pixel 6 Pro. There's very obviously an issue, and none of the Android updates have helped.

20. Mar 8, 2022 at 6:43 AM
    galaxyz

galaxyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Experiencing this issue as well. Trying the head unit update as well as developer options changes today.

Products Discussed in

To Top