1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Planning my "first tow"

Discussion in 'Towing' started by rlholling, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Feb 7, 2009 at 6:44 PM
    rlholling

rlholling [OP] Member

Member:
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    sport package
    Hi, All,

I just joined this forum yesterday at a coworker's suggestion. I'm impressed already; tons of really good info!

I'm the happy owner of a 2008 Tacoma PreRunner equipped with what Toyota calls the "sport package."

My wife & I are planning a 2-3 week trip from the Sacramento area to various locations in AZ, including the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

I've already read lots of interesting pre-tow info on this forum and am looking for recommendations regarding "gotta haves" for outfitting this truck for such a trek. We don't yet have a trailer; looking into the purchase of one 19'-23' in length.

From what I've read thus far, a brake controller is a must. Other things such as load distribution hitch & sway control system are recommended.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Feb 7, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Welcome to the site, there are plenty here that will answer these questions in their entirety.

3. Feb 7, 2009 at 7:04 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness

X5000000

and welcome to TW

4. Feb 8, 2009 at 6:32 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Do you have the OEM towing package? Do you have an auto or manual?

Are you buying a used or new travel trailer?
    If you are buying a used travel trailer, I would inspect the trailer axles - including bearings (may need to repack them w/grease), axle brakes, etc.

Make sure you have a spare tire for the trailer

A trailer 'break-away' kit. If the trailer comes disconnected from your truck, the break-away kit will also disconnect & apply the brakes to stop the trailer.

You might want to look into some additional (or bigger) mirrors.

5. Feb 8, 2009 at 6:36 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
  6. Feb 8, 2009 at 8:56 AM
    rlholling

rlholling [OP] Member

Member:
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    sport package
    Thanks all for the quick replies!

Answers to your questions:

- My truck does not have the tow package.
    - The tranny is auto.
    - I've not yet had a TSB done.
    - We've not decided whether to purchase a new or used trailer. As with most
    things, cost will be a factor. Good point 'bout checking the axles/bearings.
    - Also, good point 'bout the break-away kit. This is the first I've seen a
    reference to that.

Cheers,

7. Feb 8, 2009 at 4:34 PM
    jonl9

jonl9 Jonl9

Member:
    Eastern North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner, Xtra cab, towing package
    Most rv's these days come with a break away switch.

I'd be most careful if you don't have the factory tow package. At the least you should add a transmission oil cooler. The standard package includes an engine oil cooler and I think that should be added also. You will be towing over some high terrain, keeping all the vital fluids cool is very important.

I think you should talk with your dealer about what towing an rv beyond the rated capacity of your Tacoma would do to your warrantee.

For a travel trailer, I can't imagine not having a weight distribution hitch and a sway control of some kind. I would agree that a good brake controller is an absolute must. I have both a WDH and a friction sway control with my 4,000 pound GVWR high wall pop up and I've towed without either or both and they each make a great difference in towing stability.

I'd move cautiously about putting a big travel trailer on the Tacoma without the factory tow package.

Products Discussed in

To Top