1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Plasti Dip your Rims.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Zoom72, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Aug 13, 2012 at 2:57 PM
    GeoPete

GeoPete Member

Member:
    Calgary AB CAN
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    3" lift, K&N, All Pro front bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Piaa 510 ion yellow fogs, All Pro UCAs and lots more to go!
    Will PD hold on a chrome/alloy rim very well? I have not used it anywhere. I debadeged, sanded and painted my stuff before I knew of PD. now I want to hit the rims.

2. Aug 14, 2012 at 4:24 AM
    Zoom72

Zoom72 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grace
    Buffalo, ny
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    Painted emblems, tires, smoked led tail lights, halo and HID head lights, HID fog lights, black grill, blue interior lighting, dual 10" sub woofers, led smoked 3rd brake light, tailgate light bar, rain visors, short antenna, 16% tint on all back windows and visor...more to come.
    Yea, mine are the stock 17" alloy rims. Holds great.

3. Aug 14, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    Liam1234

Liam1234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    09 DC, LB, TRD Sport, 4x4, Tow, Magnetic Grey
    Access Literider Tonneau Cover Auto Remote Start Nfab side steps
    Zoom72,

Your wheels and tires look great.

What did you do to prep the wheels? Did you take tires off the rim? washed them but did you sand them or anything?

What size tires do you have, like them alot.

THANKS

4. Aug 15, 2012 at 4:27 AM
    Zoom72

Zoom72 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grace
    Buffalo, ny
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    Painted emblems, tires, smoked led tail lights, halo and HID head lights, HID fog lights, black grill, blue interior lighting, dual 10" sub woofers, led smoked 3rd brake light, tailgate light bar, rain visors, short antenna, 16% tint on all back windows and visor...more to come.
    Liam1234,

I just pulled them off hosed them down and sprayed. Plasti dip holds great with very little prep work.

The emblems were just as easy, just put a 3" box of tape around them and sprayed and peeled off the plasti around them.
    I did the whole grill too, just put a piece of news paper behind it so as not to get spray all over the engine compartment.

I did about 5-6 coats on everything. The only thin that's chipped was the Toyota emblem on the grill, sprayed a littl in the chip and filled it in. Works awesome.

5. Aug 15, 2012 at 4:28 AM
    Zoom72

Zoom72 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grace
    Buffalo, ny
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    Liam1234,

I just pulled them off hosed them down and sprayed. Plasti dip holds great with very little prep work.

The emblems were just as easy, just put a 3" box of tape around them and sprayed and peeled off the plasti around them.
    I did the whole grill too, just put a piece of news paper behind it so as not to get spray all over the engine compartment.

I did about 5-6 coats on everything. The only thin that's chipped was the Toyota emblem on the grill, sprayed a littl in the chip and filled it in. Works awesome.

6. Aug 15, 2012 at 4:32 AM
    Zoom72

Zoom72 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grace
    Buffalo, ny
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    Best part is its reversible. As long as you put enough coats on, as soon as you're done with the flat black look just peel it off.

7. Aug 15, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    TruKnight

TruKnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    nice mod, I just dont dig black rims tho.

8. Sep 25, 2012 at 11:21 PM
    spartanhockey6

spartanhockey6 My truck rattles, A LOT.

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Ashland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Trd Sport
    KING 2.5" Coilovers, OME nitrochargers in the rear with Dakar leaf pack, All Pro Apex front bumper.
    Think i'm going to dip my wheels tomorrow =)

9. Jan 10, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    tacomatx

tacomatx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sambeux
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    05 Black Tacoma Doble Ca w/ 3in lift
    3in lift Satoshi Grill blacked out head lights and tail lights
    any new updates? are they still going strong? did you just PD right over the weights for your wheel balance?

10. Jan 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    adrstout

adrstout Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    2.5" lift, 265/75r16 Cooper AT3, All Pro Front Skid, KBVoodoo bed rack, a bunch of other random stuff
    I did mine a while back. Not bad but had to continuously touch up in spots. Finally got sick of it and removed it. It mostly comes off easy but it hard in spots.

I recommend paint or powder coat if you really want black wheels.

11. Jan 16, 2013 at 3:48 AM
    Zoom72

Zoom72 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grace
    Buffalo, ny
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    My wheels look great still. Haven't touched them up yet. Went off reading in a field, been through a few weeks of snow,ice and salt already. I've power washed them, taken a scrubber to them to remove mud. This stuff is amazing. There's one scrape along the part where the tire meets the rim because I hit a curb, but that's expected. And it will take two seconds to fix it. The emblems look like I've just done them too, and I have taken rags to them to clean them, and they've been through the delta sonic car wash where the kids wipe down your car...and we know they aren't gentile. I love the plasti dip, best choice I ever made. You just have to make sure you do enough coats or you'll have problems. I went right over the balance weight. But yes they are holding up amazingly.

12. Jan 17, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    Zoom72

Zoom72 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grace
    Buffalo, ny
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    This is my fav picture of my TACO.

IMG_4842.jpg

13. Jan 18, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    cleveland48

cleveland48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Belmont, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    5100's set at 1.75, 1.5 in. AAL, 265/75/16 Cooper ST tires.
    Where can u get this dip at autozone?? And does it only come in black? What about price

14. Jan 19, 2013 at 6:20 AM
    Zoom72

Zoom72 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grace
    Buffalo, ny
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD

I got mine at lowes or Home Depot, both carry it. I've only seen black, it's about $5-$6 a can, I used 1 can per wheel. 1 can for my grilles and 1 for my emblems.

15. Jan 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    cleveland48

cleveland48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Belmont, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    5100's set at 1.75, 1.5 in. AAL, 265/75/16 Cooper ST tires.
    I found the website this morning when I came home from work apparently they offer gunmetal now, and I'd like to try it but all I've found local is black. And I'm 50 miles from either Home Depot or Lowe's. I believe I'm gonna give this a try. When doing decals do u just tape around it? Then hit it with the spray? And what about the small spots between the letters u can't tape, do u just peel that off the paint when it dries?

16. Jan 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM
    dritchey10

dritchey10 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab Taco V6 Auto 4WD
    2" lift
    Love this stuff. Did mine a few weeks ago and holding strong where I did a good job.

Just a tip. Focus well on the areas around balancing weights on your tires because that's the only area I've had to touch up cause I didn't do a good job on the initial coat.

Besides that, great product.

image.jpg

17. Jan 24, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    hickorylarge

hickorylarge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Chester Springs, Pa
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2.7L
    I know this is a STUPID question, but I'm guess you guys take the wheels off when you spray them? I imagine getting plasti dip on the brake rotors is probably bad...

I just got my truck and want to do some kind of mod but I don't want to spend a lot yet... might have to wait until it warms up a bit before I try this though.

18. Feb 7, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    justindavis

justindavis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD PreRunner Double Cab

I was watching some YouTube videos on PD'ing wheels last night. There's a guy on there from dipyourcar.com and he has some pretty awesome tutorials on Plasti Dipping your ride. There is one where he leaves the wheel on the car, but takes painters tape and newspaper and covers the brake drum. Still worked just fine and no grime or overspray on the brakes.

I'm going to get some gunmetal soon for my tires and badges. Should look pretty awesome on my black Taco! Can't wait!!

19. Dec 9, 2014 at 10:55 AM
    cmyersgo

cmyersgo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter
    Queen Creek AZ
    You guys still having good success with plasti dip on your rims? My only problem is that when I take my truck in to get rotated those guys usually chip or peel the paint every time I take them in.

20. Dec 9, 2014 at 11:24 AM
    choppersx

choppersx ZoMbiE aLeRt

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1968 Ford Mustang
    Lifted Bilstein shocks 5100's Front set 1.75, Rear set 1.5 ICON 3 Leaf Progressive add on / Lights-Retrofit with Halos & interior Dome / Tinted windows/AFE PRo Dry Air Filter / Go Rhino Bars / Flowmaster Exhaust 50 series
    Can leave them on and can also use plastic bags to cover the brakes/calipers

Can easy to touch it up, i havent had any problems with mine since i sprayed them in August.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top