1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Plastic or metal tool box?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TRDMadness, May 7, 2011.

1. May 7, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    TRDMadness

TRDMadness [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chandler
    Clovis,CA
    Vehicle:
    1999 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Eibach coilover with bilstein shock, Dakar Old Man Emu leafs with 5125 billies. Total Chaos uniball upper control arms. AFe cold air intake. Trail-gear stinger, rear tube bumper and slider.Debadged, chrome demolished.
    Like many things they each have their own advantages and disadvantages. Im going to Tractor Supply today to check out a few. They seemed reasonably priced. Im hoping to find a box with somekind of defect, or damage and talk them down. After the tool box Im going to 4WP for a Firestik antenna w/ mount. and possibly spare tire relocation mount in the bed. Also got the Trail-Gear bumper yesterday! along with two shirts and two bigass stickers, and 5% off. haha anything helped ease the price. hopefully tomorrow I can head out to the river for some sweet shots of the updated truck. Now to the question, I was just wondering if anyone has purchased a plastic box to permanently mount in the bed? I don't want the box that goes over the bedsides, just a big rectangle with a sealed and locked lid. The plastic would be lighter, but able to get damaged by throwing parts and other recovery gear in the plastic box. The metal one I was looking at had a great seal around, lock, but was a little bit heavier. I guess its just what I would want. But willing to suggest opinions.

2. May 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R
    SAS.. Need I say more.
    Yes.

I love my plastic box, works excellent. Metal toolboxes are just as great, don't worry about the weight... Alot of people on this site are using metal boxes and they love them I'm sure. Get what you think will fit your needs best.

3. May 7, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    TRDMadness

TRDMadness [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chandler
    Clovis,CA
    Vehicle:
    1999 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Eibach coilover with bilstein shock, Dakar Old Man Emu leafs with 5125 billies. Total Chaos uniball upper control arms. AFe cold air intake. Trail-gear stinger, rear tube bumper and slider.Debadged, chrome demolished.
    Great, just wanted to see another person have a plastic one. And thats very true we all have our own needs. Ill post pictures later of it mounted. hopefully today!

4. May 7, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R
    SAS.. Need I say more.
  5. May 7, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    01Tac0ma

01Tac0ma Bash Fabriction & Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    I have a metal tractor supply one that goes up over the bed rails and when empty they are actually fairly light, and look good IMO i just wish it was black instead of stainless, but as long as it gets the job done thats all that matters.

To Top