1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Please check my "add a circuit" location

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by xxaarraa, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Jul 31, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am hard wiring my Garmin and went with the "add a circuit" route. I tapped into the empty fuse location between "7" and "8" in the cabin fuse panel.

The factory owner's manual does not list the amperage or purpose of the empty fuse locations. So, can someone please confirm it is OK for me to use this particular location? I have two 7.5 amp fuses in the "add a circuit" as well as an in-line fuse in the cigarette lighter socket itself. It does appear to be switched power.

Just looking for a second set of eyes so I don't set the car on fire!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jul 31, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    Sylvario

Sylvario Government Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    96' Bigrig Fighter
    First, where did you hook the black wire.
    Second, with that much extra wire could you not run it under your dash panels and bring the wire our closer to where the garmin is located. I know several people have run it up the drivers side windshield tower and stuck their garmins up in that top corner. you could probably get it over there pretty easily under the dash side and that one piece of tower molding.
    http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ileaf/06toyewd/06toypdf/ewd/2006/tacoma/f/em01d0up.pdf Scroll down to page 9. I see where you put one fuse. But did you say you put two fuses in the fuse box?

3. Jul 31, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Sport Access Cab 4x4
    Leveled with 5100s @ 1.75", Hankook Dynapro AT/m, Ultra Maverick wheels, N-Fab side steps, WeatherTech floor liners, EGR in-channel rain guards, TRD shift knob for 10 extra mpg, Gentex 177 auto dim rear view mirror with compass and temp, CompuStar remote start, Muth heated signal mirrors, disable AC with defrost mod
    The point of the Add a Circuit kit is to put two fused circuits where previously there was only one. So why not put it in the ACC fuse location? That way you will know for sure it's 7.5 amps.

4. Jul 31, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    xxaarraa

Member:
    That would be a way to overload the circuit would it not? I figured it's better to use an empty slot over one that is already in use.

5. Jul 31, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    xxaarraa

Member:
    You mean the ground? I used a metal bolt inside the kick panel as the ground location.

6. Jul 31, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM Roll Tide

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 Blown Honda VTEC V8
    trd exhaust,step bars,vent visors,bed lights,tailgate mod
    at only 7.5 you are fine.i wouldnt worry about that at all.

7. Aug 1, 2010 at 4:59 AM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    That location for the add a circuit is fine. I put my Garmin on the left corner of the dash and was able to hide the entire wire all the way up the side door panel. I used the same ground location also. Nice work.

8. Aug 1, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Does the garmin need 7.5 amps? You may be able to use a 5 or 3 amp fuse. 7.5 is probably okay, but if you could use a 3 amp then I would never be worried about overloading anything. You can have a pretty small wire and still be alright.

9. Aug 1, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Edmonton AB
    Vehicle:
    07 2wd access cab base.
    Kenwood DDX-512 Deck, Boston Acoustics G5 Sub in Ported Bassworx Box, Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X10D Amp, Sirius Satellite Radio, Magellan GPS, DDM 55w bi-xenon headlights, 2 HID Hella 500ff's mounted behind grill, 4 pc ebay Billet grill, Fog Lights (my truck didnt have them stock), Pioneer Speakers 6x9's(front) 6.5's(rear) AFE Cold Air Intake, Hose Clamp Mod, Tailgate Strengthen Mod, Removed Gay Mud Flaps, De-Badged, BHLM, 245/45/20 on velocity wheels. VW865a, Extra D Rings In Box, OEM Cruise Added Optima Red Top Battery
    that garmin would prob use less than 1 amp. you should put smaller fuses in. if it shorted out it would take 7.5 amps before it popped, that could set shit on fire.

check the back of the gps or the cig lighter plug in (of the garmin of course) and it should tell u how many amps it draws

10. Aug 1, 2010 at 3:35 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Edmonton AB
    Vehicle:
    07 2wd access cab base.
    Kenwood DDX-512 Deck, Boston Acoustics G5 Sub in Ported Bassworx Box, Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X10D Amp, Sirius Satellite Radio, Magellan GPS, DDM 55w bi-xenon headlights, 2 HID Hella 500ff's mounted behind grill, 4 pc ebay Billet grill, Fog Lights (my truck didnt have them stock), Pioneer Speakers 6x9's(front) 6.5's(rear) AFE Cold Air Intake, Hose Clamp Mod, Tailgate Strengthen Mod, Removed Gay Mud Flaps, De-Badged, BHLM, 245/45/20 on velocity wheels. VW865a, Extra D Rings In Box, OEM Cruise Added Optima Red Top Battery
    also i did the same, but i ran it through a hole i poked in my windsheild vent (had to take out gagues) and up through the vent itself and it just chills on the dash when not in use.

11. Apr 9, 2011 at 11:37 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    There isn't a second fuse in that fuse-tap.

He would not have power to the garmin if his fuse was not conducting. The other leg does not conduct to the wire, only to the inner fuse.

Means the install is fine. Other than being double fused (inline and on the fuse-tap). Probably again inside the garmin plug haha.

Though to save space I actually disassembled the plug, and hard wired it in using the power supply inside the cig lighter adapter.

To answer your question, your location is fine if you have power. A GPS will draw next to nothing, you'll never burn wiring or blow fuses with it unless it breaks :D

12. Apr 10, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    jward2331

jward2331 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    '08 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport
    Debadged, tinted windows, upper/lower Grillcraft (horns relocated), Hella 500's with HID Mod (55W 5000) behind grill, shorty antenna, WeatherTech side window deflectors, suspension TSB, Westin Signature Nerf bars, JVC KD A-615 Head Unit with Sirius Direct tuner, Blacked out headlights, DTDL Mod (Switch for on/off), Hard Wired GPS, NOKYA Arctic Hyper Yellow Fog lights, Fog lights on anytime Mod, Michelin LTX M/S2 (P265/65R17), Powder coated OEM wheels. LED ANZO tail lights, Weather Tech FloorLiners.
    I know mine is a discontinued model Garmin but it works. I hid the cig lighter receptacle under dash and drilled a hole, inserted a grommet to have it right in the corner. The corner piece (with hand hold) comes out easy and the wire feeds up through dash.

Hard Wired GPS.jpg

13. Apr 10, 2011 at 7:02 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    That's the exact same circuit I used for my heated seats. Haven't had a problem.
    [​IMG]

14. Apr 10, 2011 at 7:47 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why not cut the wire and skip the weird cigarette lighter plug thing altogether?

As for the circuit location -- chances are your GPS uses considerably less than one amp. If it uses 1/4 amp I'd be surprised. I'd choose your fuse size based on one of two possibilities:
    1. Based on the size of the smallest wire anywhere in the circuit (positive supply or ground).
    2. or SMALLER than what you would choose for #1, but slightly more than you expect your GPS to draw.

15. Apr 10, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    What I'm saying is the fust tap itself can take 2 fuses. One of the slots is for the original fuse, one for the new fuse/circuit you're putting in.

The leg on the fuse tap furthest from the wire is connected to the pins of both fuses.

Here let me whip something up in mspaint.

[​IMG]

The RED lines are what is electrically connected. See that the furthest pin is connected to the two fuse slots on the one side, and the other leg, only the one? The lower leg is for the original fuse, you can see in there that if a fuse were in, it would connect the two pins of the fuse tap.

The other fuse slot connects one leg to the one pin of the fuse tap, and the other connects only to the wire.

Since he has no 'original' fuse and used an empty circuit, and only has that 10A fuse in the "connected to wire" fuse, it CAN'T be upside down or he would not have 12V.

Where would the power for the Garmin be coming from ?

EDIT: Also to clarify, if you think about this, there is NO way to get power to the red wire on that fuse tap without it going through a fuse on there. If you put it on backwards, and have -both- fuses in it, you will be double fused, which could be very undesirable, but there is no way to put in an unfused connection using a fuse tap.

16. Apr 10, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    If he has two fuses in there it would be double fused, not unprotected. Basically the lowest fuse value would blow first obviously.

I can't tell but if its backwards as you say he MUST have 2 fuses in the fuse tap.

If just one fuse, it must be connected like the third drawing like you said.

What I'm saying is if he only has 1 fuse in there, there is no way to connect it backwards and get power on the wire. Simply isn't possible. So I can't see it from the pic but he must have 2 fuses in.

He SHOULD pull the other fuse then since he's energizing what ever circuit that is in addition to providing GPS power. But is isn't without fused protection. The in line fuse is not all that is protecting him.

17. Apr 10, 2011 at 4:56 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I believe your Garman runs on 5 volts so connecting it direct may shorten it's life expectency.

18. Apr 10, 2011 at 5:01 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I connected mine to the acc. lighter plug removed the extra switch blank ran the wire behind the radio and up through the defrost duct.

19. Apr 10, 2011 at 5:27 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    Ya you cannot directly connect it.You have to steal the power supply from the cig plug.

20. Apr 10, 2011 at 6:18 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    I connected mine using the right side 12V receptacle with a switched extension from RS. Con used one of two 12V receptacles..PRO has a switch rant the extension behind the glove box and ran the GPS down the A pillar and connected behind the glove box.

Looks okay...
    [​IMG]

To Top