1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PLEASE DONT USE THIS FOR YOUR PETS!!

Discussion in 'Pets' started by gregzz, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Nov 1, 2021 at 7:38 AM
    gregzz

gregzz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    las vegas nv
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma crew cab 4x4 v6 4.0
    Wheels/ tires, tint, level kit. Rock crawler rails. 3- 6" procomp lights with light bar on front bumper. Magnaflow # 12256 stainless muffler. Billet shorty antenna.
    F464B705-724E-4643-9B30-EE7405E24EC7.jpg F464B705-724E-4643-9B30-EE7405E24EC7.jpg F297F024-73F4-4C14-A5A0-4B62CCD65544.jpg F297F024-73F4-4C14-A5A0-4B62CCD65544.jpg Hi all. I just had my dogs teeth cleaned to the tune of $250.00 and I was just getting ready to buy this toothpaste product for my dog to stay on top of her teeth cleaning so I wouldn’t have to put her through being knocked out again as I could tell it wasn’t an enjoyable process obviously.. Anyway.. I found this product on Amazon but before I bought it I just did a Google search for reviews from other people since I’ve never bought this before and what I found was NOT GOOD, this product has something in it called “NEEM Oil” which is poison to dogs & cats and had actually killed many animals but this company keeps producing it without warning people of this so I definitely wanted to warm as many of you as possible and hopefully you’ll tell all your friends & family because there is NEEM oil in those breath freshener sticks also ( not all brands but some have it) so PLEASE!!! be careful and make sure whatever you get to clean your pets teeth or freshen their breath doesn’t have NEEM OIL in it. Thank you everyone and stay safe.

Kwikvette, Squirt, wilcam47 and 3 others like this.
  2. Nov 1, 2021 at 4:05 PM
    taco44girl

taco44girl Active Member

Member:
    The City Different in Land of Enchantment
    Good to know! Thanks Gregzz! From me and my three!!

gregzz[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 1, 2021 at 4:07 PM
    Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule Well-known member, but no one cares.

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2021 Taco XP Predator
    Can this be reported to Amazon for them to pull?

wilcam47 and gregzz[OP] like this.
  4. Nov 1, 2021 at 4:15 PM
    DingleTower

DingleTower My truck is like yer truck

Member:
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    Pro MT - Lunar Rock
    I just did a quick search and didn't see anything that shows neem oil to be unsafe for dogs. It also seems to be in a fair number of products.

The toothpaste has 4.5 stars with 15,000 reviews. Seems it can't be that deadly.

Not saying that a dog didn't die from it but I don't see anything that dies dog deaths to this specific toothpaste.

Often people blame deaths to coincidences. It's not often dogs have autopsies or toxicology tests.

Kwikvette, gregzz[OP] and usmc2msu like this.
  5. Nov 1, 2021 at 4:42 PM
    gregzz

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    las vegas nv
    Vehicle:
    Wheels/ tires, tint, level kit. Rock crawler rails. 3- 6" procomp lights with light bar on front bumper. Magnaflow # 12256 stainless muffler. Billet shorty antenna.
    I actually did report it too Amazon and my wife did too under a seperate email address and they didn’t even respond or take it down. Just sad that they don’t care ya know? I told everyone at my work and they’ve told their friends & family including my friends and now here on “TW” so hopefully people will spread the word! I mean if it’s used for killing mold and bugs and aphids on plants than who’s the brain surgeon that decided to add it to Dogs toothpaste? Common sense would usually kick in but you know how few people have that anymore. Please spread the word!!

6. Nov 1, 2021 at 4:45 PM
    gregzz

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    las vegas nv
    Vehicle:
    Check the product on Amazon and you’ll see the reviews, also you can do a Google search for it AND my vet that just cleaned my dogs teeth herself told me it’s toxic too dogs and would highly advise not using it. I mean you seriously wanna chance that? I don’t but it’s up to you. I’m just simply trying to help but not everyone will agree but that’s with everything ya know?

wilcam47 likes this.
  7. Nov 1, 2021 at 4:50 PM
    SpeySquatch

SpeySquatch Function over Form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    C4Fab LoPro, BAMF Sliders, Ext ADS 2.5’s, 4.88's, OVTune (OG to KDMax)
    Good research. I’ve heard salmon blood kills dogs, but I watched a deckhand feed raw salmon off the body of a fresh kill and that dog was fine. Super healthy actually.

You never know what is true with reviews and what-not these days

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    gregzz[OP] likes this.
  8. Nov 1, 2021 at 4:55 PM
    gregzz

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    las vegas nv
    Vehicle:
    Up to you but my dog is family and I’m not taking the chance especially after being told by a vet not to use it and reading reviews, not here to argue with anyone, just a friendly message but I’d be pretty destroyed by taking that chance with my dog but up to you I guess!? Take it easy

wilcam47 likes this.
  9. Nov 1, 2021 at 5:13 PM
    SpeySquatch

SpeySquatch Function over Form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    C4Fab LoPro, BAMF Sliders, Ext ADS 2.5’s, 4.88's, OVTune (OG to KDMax)
    i was being tongue and cheek. I totally agree and wouldn’t buy the toothpaste either. It’s just interesting seeing data vs truth these days. I’m sure there is safer products out there… I’ve raised 4 Weimereiners, so I agree with dogs being part of family %100

gregzz[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  10. Nov 1, 2021 at 5:21 PM
    DingleTower

Member:
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    Pro MT - Lunar Rock
    I have no intentions on using it either. I'm not saying you should throw caution to the wind and give it to your dog either. But like you say... I'm also interested in data vs truth too. Which is why I researched instead of googled.

If you can find me proof of a dogs death due to neem oil I would be interested. Everything I've read seem to say it's beneficial.

You can take all your information from Amazon too. I don't much care.

SpeySquatch[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Nov 1, 2021 at 5:43 PM
    gregzz

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    las vegas nv
    Vehicle:
    hey man it’s up to you. If you don’t care than that’s perfectly fine as their your dogs & not mine. I searched on Google and found many bad reviews on Google and Amazon yes where peoples dogs have had seizures and died from this which is why I didn’t buy it especially after my vet strongly urged me to use something else but if you want to than hey more power to ya. Not arguing with ya. Up to you. Take it easy.

12. Nov 1, 2021 at 5:54 PM
    DingleTower

Member:
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    Pro MT - Lunar Rock
    Like I said... No interest in the product. I'm not saying it's safe. But strange to see people blame it on neem oil.

I'd want to know what's actually killing dogs. I spent some more time researching neem oil since my first post and literally can't find any more evidence of it causing deaths other than those Amazon reviews.

Did your vet advise to not use it because of the neem oil?

gregzz[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. Nov 1, 2021 at 6:13 PM
    gregzz

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    las vegas nv
    Vehicle:
    What she said after I showed the page to her on Amazon when I picked up my dog and she read the reviews of one lady brushing her dogs teeth and the dog never having any health conditions and it died next to her on the bed while she slept and another woman said her dog died from it was she’d look into it and get back to me, a few hours later same day as she cleaned my dogs teeth the same day called me and said DONT USE IT and she would warn others against it due to the NEEM oil so after reading the reviews and Googling it and my vet calling me since that’s what she does for a living telling me to stay away than that’s good enough for me. don’t know what else to say.

DingleTower[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Nov 1, 2021 at 6:28 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    I'm it sure what this thread is doing, but Neem oil ain't what's killing dogs.

For that matter, I'd be surprised if more than 1 percent of pet owners clean their pets teeth regular.

It's an antiseptic and anti fungal natural oil. It's used in gardens where lots of pets are present to keep the pets from getting poisoned by more nasty insectacides.

I'm glad you are taking care of your pets, but I think your vet needs to do some more research.

I'm sorry about those pets that died, but death is a natural occuring event. Non of us like it, but it happens.

I'm willing to be convinced I'm wrong, but I need more documentation.

DingleTower likes this.
  15. Nov 1, 2021 at 6:32 PM
    Extra Hard Taco

Extra Hard Taco Survivor of the winter of misery and death.

Member:
    First Name:
    R.J.
    Clown World
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    ARB Bumper, SOS sliders, rear bumper, and skid plate. OME Lift. Some other stuff.
    My pet emu eats that stuff like candy.

koditten likes this.
  16. Nov 2, 2021 at 3:40 PM
    Mister Grey

Mister Grey The Viking of disapproval looks in your direction

Member:
    Hayward Ca
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCLB Sport 4x4
    The Works.
    "Neem oil is most reliably used as a repellant. “Neem oil can be used topically to repel and kill common biting insects, including mosquitoes, biting midges, and fleas,” says McFaddin, who is an integrative veterinarian. It’s questionable whether neem oil is effective at repelling and killing ticks, she adds."

I used to put neem oil on my indoor garden to keep mites away. I'd say don't use it.

Products Discussed in

To Top