1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Please help my squeaky truck :(

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sigi, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Mar 23, 2011 at 9:16 AM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^ Exactly.

Its the wear indicators telling you its time for pads. (Front brakes btw)

2. Mar 23, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    No the front brakes would only squeak when he applied the brakes not all the time. I'm guessing squeaky leafs and maybe a wheel bearing going bad

3. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    RightCoastRipper

RightCoastRipper Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 2.7L 4x4 Access Cab
    I have a similar problem

Only when it rains or after rainy days I get a squeal. Its definitely squealing with the engine/changes with the gear shift. I have 73k miles on it

Is this the belt? I dont have any experience under the hood, but can I replace this on my own?

Edit: replacement seems pretty simple. I found a pdf w instructions for replacing the serpentine belt

Attached Files:

4. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    Do you know what a wear indicator is?

5. Mar 23, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    Sigi

Sigi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 4x4 trd offroad
    its not the brakes for sure. it only happens when the drive shaft is under pressure. if the truck is just going and i have my foot of the gas it wont do it but if i give it a little gas it will start right up..

6. Mar 23, 2011 at 4:50 PM
    RightCoastRipper

RightCoastRipper Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 2.7L 4x4 Access Cab
    Ya thats different from mine. If i'm off the gas, but the rpm are still anywhere above 1k, I can hear it.

7. Mar 23, 2011 at 5:38 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    Drive your truck into a pool filled with WD-40 that always works for me :) but seriuosly it could be your driveshaft...can you tell if its coming from front or back of vehicle. Have someone with you and have them put it in drive and them walk or crawl beside it to locate where its coming from

8. Mar 23, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    kd8awe

kd8awe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rocky
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fog mod, 3" lift, ShoMe stobes, MicroLight LED Strobes, HiLift Jack, RCI 2950, Yaesu 8900r, 20% Tint, ScanGauge II, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, *** New Mod's (parts on the way) *** U-Bolt flip kit. Tom Woods 1 Piece Double Cardan Drive Shaft. 3* Axel Shims
    Where is the squeak comming from? Is it in the front of the truck? Under it? From the rear area? You need to give up more information. If it was belts (belt) it would do it in park when you rev the motor. If it does it when it bounces going over bumps its the springs. If it is doing it when moving under load it could be in the drive train (U-joints or carrier bearing).

9. Apr 10, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    Sigi

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:
    SO i had my girlfriend drive my truck slowly and i me and my friend think that the sound was coming from under the truck. Pretty much right between the two tires.. Any ideas???

10. Apr 10, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

THROUGHITALLDUDE Someone didnt put the tailgate down!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    285-75-17 Definity ATs - 16'' Chrome Moto Metal 951s - 4'' Maxtrac spindles - Rear Icon Progressive Leaf Pack - Magnaflow exhaust - Aftermarket LED Taillights - BHLM - Custom Wet Okle Seat Covers - Moog Tire Rods - US Spec Ipod - K&N High Flow Filter - Daytime Running Lights - TRD Skid Plate - Grillcraft - Hellas Mounted behind the grill
    I just had this issue and two of my u joints were blown....

11. Apr 10, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    Sigi

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:

Thanks, I have a feeling its the same thing.

12. Apr 10, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    285-75-17 Definity ATs - 16'' Chrome Moto Metal 951s - 4'' Maxtrac spindles - Rear Icon Progressive Leaf Pack - Magnaflow exhaust - Aftermarket LED Taillights - BHLM - Custom Wet Okle Seat Covers - Moog Tire Rods - US Spec Ipod - K&N High Flow Filter - Daytime Running Lights - TRD Skid Plate - Grillcraft - Hellas Mounted behind the grill
    Ya just get it checked out right away. I was told that if they completely blow you could have some major issues like having the transmission tail get torn up.

13. Apr 10, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    Sigi

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:

fuck i guess i better get on it.. the thing is that i like doing everything my self and i have always worked on all my cars, But how do i know if its the u joints for sure.. I dont want to take it to the dealer and pay for them to tell me what it is.

14. Apr 10, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    Ok jack the truck up, let the wheels spin in reverse it prob wont squeak by simply letting them spin, then slowly brake and eventually the squeaking should return as more brake is applied and if it does its the u joints.

15. Apr 10, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    Sigi

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:

thanks. but the thing is that it only does it on drive not on reverse.. Should i test it the same way but on drive instead of reverse???

16. Apr 10, 2011 at 7:58 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    ya it should have the same effect

17. Apr 10, 2011 at 8:00 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    carrier bearing

18. Apr 10, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    what was the end result on this?

19. Apr 10, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    From my expirience, squeaks mostly come from U joints that have lost their lubrication. First check: Jack the rear of your truck up to get wheels off the ground and be sure to support it with jack stands. Next is to be sure to block the front wheels with something to keep the truck from rolling. When you have the truck totally secure, crawl under your truck and grab the axle close to one of your U joints and try to move it up and down and left and right, repeat this step for all of your U joints. If while shaking the drive shaft like this you have any play in the U joints, you have found it to be bad. If you find no play in any of them, then move to the second check. Second check: be sure that the truck is jacked up as previously stated and it is not in 4wd. Start your truck up, apply the brake and put it in gear. 1st gear for manual and D for auto. While sitting in the truck release the brake and listen for your squeaks. If you hear nothing, tap the gas a lil bit and listen for squeaks and vibes. You can also do that and hop out real quick and peak under to look and listen. Just be sure to stay well away from any moving parts. When my U joints went bad on my ole Tundra, I had thought it was the brakes at first cuz of the squeak, but after a month it finally became apparent it was th U's because I had alot of vibration especially at high speeds and shaking the shft showed alot of play. You may not have this at first but the U's will eventually completey destroy the needle bearings and you will notice it more and more. I found out that even though I was greasing them on a regular basis, one of the passages got clogged with something and wasn't being lubed, so it dried out and turned the bearings into dust. Hope this helps.

20. Apr 11, 2011 at 5:05 PM
    Sigi

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:
    so my truck makes the same noise as this truck on the video.. Is it the u joints or carrier barring??? Please help. Im pretty sure its the ujoint but i dont want to buy them if its not it.. Thanks. if it is the u joints should i replace them all or just the worn out ones. and should i use oem or aftermarket.. thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top