1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Please help with clicking sound in front end.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by PeachEater81, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Jun 20, 2014 at 11:18 AM
    PeachEater81

PeachEater81 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Gregorio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon C/O, Icon 2.0 Resi's, LR UCAs, Alcan 8 leaf pack, Aero 2525XL, Michelin LTX MS2, Lifetime LED heads and fogs (bad company and product - don't buy), aFe Pro Dry filter, Weathertech mats, Best Top, Hybrid Audio, Arc Amp, Arc Sub, Ram matting, Core/Hurst Short Throw Shifter, OEM Bed Mat, Antenna X....
    Hi,

Thanks to all for checking my thread. First the info:

Year: 2005
    Make: Toyota Tacoma
    Model: Double Cab Short Bed TRD Sport 4x4
    Engine size: 4.0 V6
    Mileage: 168k mi.

Is a lift installed: I just installed Icon front and rear shocks & coilovers, LR UCA, and an Alcan 8 leaf pack.
    Aftermarket components: AFe Air Filter, Aero 2525XL exhaust, Core/Hurst Short Throw Shifter.

Is there an alarm system installed: No

When did you first notice the problem?:
    The clicking/compression sound started happening right after I had the throwout bearing, clutch, and exhaust replaced.

How often does it occur?:
    Every time I pull in and out of a parking spot or go over a speed bump. Usually at slow and starting speeds, but also as I slow to a stop at an intersection.

What have you ALREADY replaced to try and fix it?:
    I took it back to the same shop that did the clutch/throw out bearing work. They called me and said they found the problem - play in the left lower ball joint. So they replaced it. As soon as I picked it up from the shop and backed out of the parking spot...it made the exact clicking sound just as it had previously. So I went back in and told them. I brought it back another day and they had a senior tech go over it, lye underneath it and I turned the wheels from side to side making the noise. He shook and pushed on the bumper from above, but could not locate the noise and find anything loose. I thought it might be the shocks and wanted to replace them anyway, but that did not fix it either. I noticed that the power steering fluid was below the cold minimum line. I just filled it to the line this morning, but I don't think that it going to do it either. Maybe the front axle?

Have you checked codes?: (If so, list ALL of the codes, not just the ones you believe are important) No

One other thing to mention: When I had the clutch installed (a Exedy 1503-not sure about the model), they forgot to install the URD stainless steel throw out bearing and installed the exedy one. At the same time I was on the Exedy website and it specifies another model than the one listed by Rock Auto (where I bought it). I'm not sure what the differences were exactly, but the tech and I both drove it before they agreed to install the URD one the next day. The clicking sound is heard in gear or neutral when rolling and turning the wheel. Like rolling back out of a parking spot in neutral or pulling into one in 1st gear. The sound happens about a full steering wheel's rotation before the steering stops when turning, but also happen when driving straight over speed bumps and at stop signs. It does not occur when sitting still and changing gears etc.

I will make a video to capture the sound this weekend. Thanks to all for ready and helping...

2. Jun 20, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    Have you checked you new shocks and springs? I know they are new but...
    Did same shop do your suspension wok that did clutch? You with me?

3. Jun 30, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    PeachEater81

PeachEater81 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Gregorio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon C/O, Icon 2.0 Resi's, LR UCAs, Alcan 8 leaf pack, Aero 2525XL, Michelin LTX MS2, Lifetime LED heads and fogs (bad company and product - don't buy), aFe Pro Dry filter, Weathertech mats, Best Top, Hybrid Audio, Arc Amp, Arc Sub, Ram matting, Core/Hurst Short Throw Shifter, OEM Bed Mat, Antenna X....
    No, I installed the shocks and leaf springs etc. It was making this sound right after I had the exhaust installed (the clutch was the day before). I honestly believe the noise happened right after I got the exhaust, but I did have the clutch done the day before so it could have been that as well. I need to make a video to post and I also need to spend more time underneath the truck to figure out exactly where the noise is coming form.

4. Jul 19, 2014 at 11:45 AM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    Check the lower control arm bolts. I had a very simple noise ended up being the rear bolts were not tight

5. Jul 20, 2014 at 4:51 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd

Products Discussed in

To Top