1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Please wear a helmet

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Crosis, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Jun 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    Haha, good point, I wear one when racing and I used to be an amateur boxer so I am aware of how easy a concussion happens, people laugh at me till I leave the line in the lead! Probably because I am only 120lbs so I win drag races, lol.

But I have a home in Havasu as well (no helmet law) I ALWAYS wear a helmet, wont ever ride without one, not worth the risk. Plus I am too aggressive to ride without but I am on a plated dirtbike and heading to the off-road spots anyway, where I am dressed head to toe in full gear at ALL times.

I still see tons of guys without them, but I used to work as a medic so I am all to aware of what a a fatal MVA motorcycle accident looks like, hard to forget seeing a skull capped victim laying on the ground with no other obvious trauma especially when it could have been prevented.

BTW I have BROKEN 3 helmets in my riding/racing career. If thats not a good enough reason, I dont know what is. IMO thats 3 extra lives! :eek:
    So not worth it!!

2. Jun 12, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    Robotoco

Robotoco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roberto
    NC
    yeah people need to wear helmet all the time. i'ma shame to say the only time i crashed my bike i wasn't wearing any gear including my helmet, and i can't say how i'm still here but i just know i'm not gonna not wear any gear when i get on moto bike

3. Jun 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
  4. Jun 12, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    Zarcero

Zarcero Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    I always wear my full-face Shoei and a full riding suit and riding boots.

5. Jun 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    pigger

pigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rio Rathole
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    Detroit True-Track rear limited slip, steering rack bushings, shell, SAF decals, Wheelers 5-leaf & Bilstein 5100's, some nice LED lights from Chris, big-ass bumpers, older-than-dirt owner
    AGATT here. It has saved my life twice so far. I also wear a helmet when bicycling and skiing, and my ski helmet saved my life once as well.

My last accident (although there was nothing "accidental" about the idiot pulling out from the side street) was pretty bad, broke my pelvis in 3 places & fecked up my knees, but I lost no skin. That helmet looks pretty gnarly now.

6. Sep 9, 2013 at 2:09 AM
    DD977GM2

DD977GM2 Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma ext cab TRD package
    I would be dead if I didnt have my helmet on when I was involved in an accident. The driver deliberatly caused me to wreck.

I dont advocate for people to wear helmets...I think it is a personal choice and government doesnt need to tell me what to do.

I do know they are helpful and will prevent you from being dead or a vegetable in 95% of accidents.

My kids know to wear them as does my wife. ATGATT

bike_wreck_04_zps98bce5e2_949c9c526e7d350baada9d272bfed8bda63afb28.jpg

bike_wreck_03_zps1d47164b_61bbe97dbf7bbf749f8d3f811de62abbc0248e98.jpg

7. Sep 9, 2013 at 3:37 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I live in WI we have a seat belt law, but no helmet law. (Doesn't make much sense.)
    I encountered a car taking a corner way wide. I chose the grass. He/she didn't stop, my bike was totaled, my helmet saved my face, probably more. My gear saved the rest! Hell, I walked home to get the Taco and go get the bike. Insurance paid for everything, even the helmet!

8. Sep 9, 2013 at 6:10 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Just this past week an off duty police officer died in a motorcycle crash. He wasn't wearing a helmet, was trying to pass 3 cars in a no passing zone, and was definitely over the speed limit. The car in the front of the line turned left in front of him. Would he be alive if he'd been wearing a helmet? maybe, maybe not but he would have had a much better chance at least.

It's funny the reasons people give for NOT wearing a helmet, on ADV forums there's a thread like this and a guy is actually arguing that not wearing a helmet forces him to go slower and be more careful. Yeah, ok buddy...

9. Sep 9, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Deliberately caused you to wreck? That's fucked, any reason why he/she did it?

I'm guilty of not abiding by ATGATT, I wear my sperries and khaki pants when riding to work (but always have jacket gloves and helmet on). Haven't ever been down but it's always a possibilty.

I have (stupidly) a few times taken girls out for rides without a helmet on and given it to her to wear and just gone in sunglasses (I guess it was a case of one "head" thinking it was more important than the other, if ya catch my drift ;) ) it definitely bothered me though. It's way louder and I couldn't stand all the shit hitting me in the face, I don't know how the harley crowd can ride cross country like that. I have since bought a second helmet.

People around here are actually surprised when they see me wearing a helmet, I've gotten a few "good for you for wearing a helmet" type comments recently. It also seems ass backwards that the only helmets I do see are on us young dumb guys on sportbikes and the older "wiser" guys on Harleys almost never have them on

10. Sep 9, 2013 at 7:34 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    safety above all else. you look cooler alive then you do dead

11. Sep 24, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    was riding for a couple days when I first got it street legal without one, but of course that was not to last long.

picked up a pretty cool lid for a good deal. Hell i look better with the helmet on than off :cool:

[​IMG]

all i noticed while riding without one how fast my lips got chapped...

12. Sep 25, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    NH has screwed up helmet laws anyway. You don't have to wear a helmet, but you have to have eye protection. Stupid.

No helmet w/cheap-assd sunglasses = legal
    Full face helmet with the shatterproof visor open a crack for ventilation = illegal.

In Maine you have to wear one if you're under 18, you have to wear one if you've had your bike license for less than 2 full years. After that it's your call. The idea is that the two years required will get you into the habit, but not sure how well it works. That being said, I always wear full gear. Not a full on track suit, but boots/gloves/jacket/helmet.

13. Sep 29, 2013 at 4:33 PM
    mtxsub

mtxsub Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    sound system led lights
    A gixxer ride told me he doesnt wear gear cause it weighs him down.

14. Nov 20, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    I can honestly say a helmet has saved my life. At the time of the crash I was 23, no kids. Now I am 28 with a 2 year old and another on the way. I am so thankful to still be here, and still be healthy. I was wearing the black/silver helmet when I crashed. I slid on gravel in a corner and laid down my 02' cbr954rr. Broke my femur, got a concussion, bruises. I was wearing icon riding boots, jeans, a leather alpinestars jacket with pads, riding gloves, and that icon helmet. I literlly had 1 drop of blood on my nose from my face shield bending in to my nose, breaking, and cutting my nose. I am so lucky.

RIDE SAFE!!
    [​IMG]
    my femur and pocket knife
    [​IMG]
    my leg piercing, or traction as the doctors call it..
    [​IMG]
    my baby..sold it like that..
    [​IMG]

15. Jan 10, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    Just chiming in because I can...
    I started burying friends due to motorcycle wrecks a LONG damned time ago (70s), and haven't stopped since. Since I've been in Texas, I've now seen two club members to the dirt, one in a half helmet and one without any headgear. It ain't fun. My wife - bless her good heart - tells me to wear a full face one so she can give my mother an open casket funeral. If for no other reason, think of that.

16. Jan 10, 2014 at 4:29 PM
    FLtaco24

FLtaco24 Just a man and his truck

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Daytona Beach/South FL
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Stock for now
    I know it is required if you don't have insurance that covers over 10K. But I remember riding next to someone and he and I passed a cop and cop didn't do anything.

17. Jan 10, 2014 at 4:35 PM
    FLtaco24

FLtaco24 Just a man and his truck

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Daytona Beach/South FL
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Stock for now
    I'm the same way, I honestly don't care if you or anyone rides without their helmet.

18. Sep 1, 2014 at 8:41 PM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    Gear at all times.
    Too hot for gear? Too hot to ride.
    You can't really ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Beyond 25mph wind gets behind glasses ans starts to make your eyes tear.
    These squuids are to blame for such high Douchery and high insurance rates.

19. Sep 1, 2014 at 9:57 PM
    jermoids

jermoids Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    17x9 Fuel Mavericks +1 offset 265/65/17 duratracs NFAB Epyx step sides AVS hood protector Thule xsporter pro rack Weathertech floor liners Tacoma rubber bed mat
    kind of a little bit off the helmet topic but a good commercial that shows the dangers of street riding.
    i personally would never ride without my helmet, jacket, gloves and at least jeans, and really don't understand why anyone would not want to wear a helmet, but it's their choice.

http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/motorcycle_awareness_obstacles

20. Sep 2, 2014 at 8:17 AM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    Wear your helmets kids! You normally dont get to choose the time you have a wreck!!

Or dont I guess...I know I wouldnt be around if I didnt wear one, in Az we dont need to wear one, but for me its like driving without a seatbelt, I just feel like something is missing...

Products Discussed in

To Top