1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Plug N play harness to relocate USB port.

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by mutely, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Sep 11, 2019 at 6:50 PM
    porterx

porterx Well-Known Member

Member:
    I dont mind cutting into a harness that I've made. I'd rather not cut into the trucks wiring if I can help it.

The splitter you linked would probably be a better option. Can you look a Post #76 in this thread and suggest where I'd put the splitter. (The unused USB connection is the USB data port.) I'm thinking I'd plug one of the splitters USB male connectors into the dual accessory plug and plug Cable A into the USB female end of the splitter. Where I'm having a problem is where would the extra male USB connector plug since I already have a 12V to 5V USB power adapter connected.

2. Sep 11, 2019 at 7:18 PM
    mutely

mutely [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro in metallic primer

Put splitter above in the red circle. Red arrow goes to head unit. Then plug iPod into the appropriate connector on the twin USB plug. Then add constant USB power to the red plug of the splitter you added (mentioned above.)

E174FB27-C4E7-40A3-8340-48A137AF1ED5.jpg

porterx likes this.
  3. Sep 11, 2019 at 7:52 PM
    porterx

Member:
    I am obviously dumb as a box of rocks but I'm just not getting it. If I put the splitter into the red circle that you've drawn and plug the ipod into the unused USB of the dual USB in the upper left of the picture, that still leaves a dangling male USB from the splitter, doesnt it? I apologize for my confusion/stupidity.

4. Sep 11, 2019 at 9:03 PM
    mutely

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yes it does. That dangling USB needs to be plugged into a constant powered USB adapter. You wanted constant power to the iPod, even with ignition off (if I understood you correctly). That red end (dangling) allows you to inject an external constantly powered supply to the iPod, while keeping all the others switched with ignition. I thought that’s what you wanted anyway, maybe I got it wrong.

porterx likes this.
  5. Sep 11, 2019 at 9:29 PM
    porterx

Member:
    Nope. You got it right. I was just confused thinking I had the dangling cord. So I guess I could use the dc/dc converter from the OPs post since I didn't use it because I wanted fast charge so I substituted the dual output Quick Charge charger for the converter. I think I've got it now. Thanks for the help.

Maybe still a little confused. I plan to power the Quick Charger dual output charger with a constant 12V. Is there a way, short of splicing into the Quick Chargers output wiring, of doing what I want, using what I have. I would think I could use a 3 output Quick Charger somehow.

6. Sep 11, 2019 at 9:41 PM
    mutely

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You could used a 3 output constant powered adapter. (If you can find one). Or use a USB power splitter to make one charge port, 2 ports. They look similar to the splitter posted above, but it would spit the power into 2 rather than split the power and data. Few things to remember. 1) Doing that you will not get full power to all ports. 2) many of these power adapters pull considerable power even when nothing is plugged in. So when not switched with the ignition, the risk of draining your battery over a few days / week is quite likely.

porterx likes this.
  7. Sep 11, 2019 at 10:15 PM
    porterx

Member:
    It's always something, isnt it.

I was looking at this. The center output is Quick Charge and the other 2 are non fast charge. Maybe it will alleviate the concerns you spoke of.

An added bonus, if it even works, is it has an app that monitors the battery. And it somehow monitors where you parked. Probably all too good to be true. Hopefully its smart enough.

Products Discussed in

To Top